Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cargo Barrier plastic lining - To improve Air-con

Hi guys,

I am picking up a Milford Barrier today and was planning to put a plastic clear lining on it to help separate the boot area from the cabin. Should improve the air con a little. We have a early 2007 120 with no air con vents in the back.

Has anyone done something similar? Is it legal and where did you get the plastic? I am thinking perspex would be best with a cardboard template to the perfect shape of the cabin.

Cheers.

KS
    [2007 GXL 120 3.0L TD Auto] Mods: Bilstein Shocks & King 2" Lift Springs - 265/70/17 Cooper AT/3s Tyres - Sovereign Alloy bullbar - LED Spotlights - Snorkel - Recovery Points - BushSkinz bash plates - 2.2m Alloy Overlander Full Rack - 2.5m Awning - GME TX3120S UHF & GME AE4703 6.6dBi - LED Worklights - Milford Cargo Barrier - JVC indash DVD - Maxtrax - Pulling a heavily modified Jayco Dove Pop Top Camper

Advanced Member
    Our Mitsubishi L300 Express vans at work have the plastic addition to the cargo barrier for the same reason. I like your idea of the cardboard template and Perspex or lexan would do the job. Google for outlets besides Bunnings that sell it just to check your prices. You probably want 2-3mm thick.

Our work vans many years ago had the same for same reasons. Worked extremely well in the Darwin wet season. Was custom made by upholsterer and fitted to the cargo barrier with push on clips.
    1997 petrol auto, 430 000km. Still going strong.
    2004 petrol auto, 233 000km. Cracked dash and no help from Toyota!

Advanced Member
    Now live Brisbane Nth side QLd prev Blue Mts,NSW
    I though the plastic was there so I didn't smell the stinky shitty electric eel!
    New 2015 150s GX 5 seater with floor mats, towbar and a big wish list
    Previously a 2004 120s 1KZ GX silver manual with stuff
    before that a 1996 RV6 90S with lots of gear

Blog Entries
    Flexible pvc. Any plastic shop has it. It's clear and fitted with cable ties. Cut it with scissors.

Cheers guys, so in a wagon then no legal issues? I wouldnt think so.

My thoughts were if it was a stiff perspex, it would mess to much with the rear view mirror looking though it.

Got my barrier. Now for the plastic.
    [2007 GXL 120 3.0L TD Auto] Mods: Bilstein Shocks & King 2" Lift Springs - 265/70/17 Cooper AT/3s Tyres - Sovereign Alloy bullbar - LED Spotlights - Snorkel - Recovery Points - BushSkinz bash plates - 2.2m Alloy Overlander Full Rack - 2.5m Awning - GME TX3120S UHF & GME AE4703 6.6dBi - LED Worklights - Milford Cargo Barrier - JVC indash DVD - Maxtrax - Pulling a heavily modified Jayco Dove Pop Top Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    Cheers guys, so in a wagon then no legal issues? I wouldnt think so.

My thoughts were if it was a stiff perspex, it would mess to much with the rear view mirror looking though it.

Got my barrier. Now for the plastic.
    The same issue would occur with heads in the third row or cargo loaded up in the back.
    Cheers
    Troy
    SOUTH AUSTRALIA GATEWAY TO THE OUTBACK!
    2003 GXL V6 AUTO 120 CHAMPAGNE MICA [DUNE]
    LIST OF ACCESSORIES GROWING, WISH LIST SLOWLY DECLINING

Be interested to see how much it would affect the rear with a fridge running

Blog Entries
    Air would still circulate in the back, fridge would be OK.

Can't be any worse than the one in my camper trailer!
    FORMER TasGTG 2015 Committee Member
    '04 120 Petrol Flinders Red GXL with ARB Catalog, with TJM add ons!

Advanced Member
    I don't think there is any legal requirement to have vision through the rear. Think of pantech trucks etc. As long as you have side mirrors you will be fine.

we had it ~15 years ago on an old Subaru when we went on trips, just got clear plastic and taped to the roof/walls/floor. made a huge difference cause it was a little blower.

You could always use perspex if it's a permanent install

Cheers guys. Now to find a local company who can cut me a Perspex sheet to the same size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast