I finally sold my old GXL wheels and immediately turned those funds into a winch and some recovery points.
I went with a 12,000lb Kingone winch (also known as a Mako Avenger). I installed this myself without removing the bar - it was actually remarkably simple.
I had to file down either end of the hause to fit inside the ARB bar - strange that it was about 3mm too wide.
I installed the controller box on the 45 degree bracket that was supplied with the ARB bar, however I had to move it back and only use 1 bolt to fix it to the bar. If I had moved it forward and used 2 bolts, it would have protruded well forward of the bar - it didn't seem right. Hopefully one bolt (M8) will keep it in place on rough roads.
I am looking at moving the number plate off the hinged bracket and fixing it directly below the controller box - just haven't figured out how to do this properly yet.
And then there are the recovery points. I went with the Road Safe points in the end. The write ups on here re the install were a life saver. I would never have figured out how to getting those ARB nuts out of the chassis rail on my own...
I installed max trax holder on the rear passenger side of the roof rack. I toyed with the idea of the side mount that most guys here run, but preffered the lower profile of these in the end.
I also installed a spare RAM bracket to the rear of the awning for a camp light. This is remarkably strong and doesn't move a bit when off road. I still need to get the wiring done to permanently mount this (I actually interchange this light between the car and camper trailer with just a cig socket pug). I will probably leave it off the car around town as it is quite easy to steal like this. I do like the flexibility of being able to swing it around under the awning.
I had the ARB compressor plumbed to the rear passenger corner of the boot (because I can do the camper trailer tires from here) and then cut a 32dia hole in the plastic door so the hose can stay permanently attached.
Installed a brake controller for the camper (Prodigy P3) - I don't know my knee on it in this location and it is incredibly handy to use. I am always using the brake override on descents to assist with engine braking.
I also replaced the original ARB switches with these from Dukes 4x4. They are LED bulbs, so don't generate heat like the incandescent ones from ARB. I have had ARB switches for 4yrs now and they never last more than 12-18mths before the plastic simply perishes and they fall off the dash. Hoping these will fix that.
I think that is everything from the last 18mths. Next on the list:
- Drifta Drawers (remove 3rd row seats) with fridge slide and cage for 50l fridge (leaning towards Dunn and Watson) - might have to wait till Xmas for this one as it will be a couple of grand.
- 3D floor mats (black rubber) - these are on order - should have done this one long ago
- UVP - might try and jump on the bushskinz4x4 deal that I saw on here yesterday - just the front and sump guard
- Wire up rear light (incl maybe an LED on the inside of the rear door)
- Bonnet and headlight protectors (again - can believe I haven't done these yet...)
- Diff breathers (and other mods to make the car more "water crossing proof"
Over and out for now - hopefully not for another 18mths....
Managed to sort out the rear drawers in the back end of 2016. Played around with a bunch of ideas for the fridge and fridge slide/box/cage. In the end, I worked through it with Beechy from Drifta and did it all through them. Really happy with the result - especially as it is completely custom to the CFX50 with no wasted space, and it 95% removable to allow it to be converted to a flat boot space in 30sec. Like everyone has said on here, the Drifta experience has been excellent. There were a lot of emails back and forth trying to get the fridge box and slide perfectly dimensioned. I confess that I did have to make a small alteration to the fridge box, however that was more due to my dodgy measurements and was easy to do and re glue the carpet.
And I finished (for now anyway) the rear wiring for the fridge, battery monitor and rear work light. I ended up reusing the rear work light size and weight with a new 2 x 10W from Korr. I might look at changing the fridge connection over to an Anderson, however I have had no issues to date so it is not a high priority.
I also did the 3D floor mats - these have been great
Installed a black bonnet protector (all the bolts rusted so they have been replaced with stainless steel)
I tried to install some headlight protectors however they did not fix reliably at all so that was a waste of $50...
Still to do:
- Diff/transmission breathers
- Rock sliders (damaged a side step slightly on a drop off at Fraser last week...)
- Water bladder for between drawers and rear seats (curtain/pendulum style from Fleximake)
- Upgrade driving lights - the IPF XS900 Hal are rubbish compared to what is available out there these days
New tyres in another 5-10k also (2-4mths) - probably go the same again - ST Maxx 265/70 - will probably get 50-55k out of the first set without any incidents/punctures.