Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeh Kaindog, I cased a VX for a bit purely on the basis that I liked the stereo more.... But that is an expensive stereo if it is the only reason you're buying a VX. I'll see how I go with the stock GXL unit.

Who are you going to use? That seems like a good price.
    Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Quote Originally Posted by mjrandom View Post
    Who are you going to use? That seems like a good price.
    I didn't ask who the supplier/fitter was - I had a chance to look a one they just delivered and it was really tidy. I was going to do myself but the price was better than I expected so I stopped asking questions.... I did the same mod in the jeep through Doyles for almost the same price but excluding door cards and third row.

Update: delivery is now moved back to 20th Feb.

Graphite Friday can now go back to being plain old Black Friday.

Progress however - 5 x unused (delivery km only) 2014 FJ wheels have been purchased and are on a truck from Vic to Qld. $1,300 for the set incl freight - pretty happy with that, particularly that the timing will now be pre delivery and they can also get the paint protection treatment (easier to clean brake dust...when new). Will look to sell 2 or 5 of the unused stock wheels (pending what I decide to do with the camper setup). Couple of these would look good on your camper maullman....

Cooper ST Maxx also went on special this week (apparently... - all the tyre shops were singing from this hymn sheet). That said, there is still $25diff on the "special" price between shops....of the same franchise....

Doyles work is good but very expensive I have found. I need (want?) to recover my flappy paddle wheel with Alacantara. Looking for an alternative to Doyles who want both kidneys.
    Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Have taken delivery and gotten to work. Some pictures coming (once I get time to take a few)....

Completed so far (as per OP):

bulbar
    towbar
    snorkel
    leather
    pioneer platform
    air lockers
    wheels (originals now for sale on PP)
    tyres
    suspension (originals will go for sale once wheels sell)
    Driving lights (yet to be wired)

Really happy so far. The drive is just so much more comfortable and the overall look is just aggressive enough.

Can't wait for the pictures :-p sounds like a nice build.

Finally some pics - from a few angles

Really happy with how the wheels look - noticeably different to stock without being outrageous (OM wheels will go up for sale - when I am eligible to post a for sale item....)

Leather seats - they did a really good job on these....

Magic buttons

Still sorting out rod rack (fitting a Rodezi (http://rodezi.webs.com/) on bull bar with removable supports on front of roof rack) and roof rack accessories (eyebolts, awning, shovel, etc)

Electricals go in some time over the coming few weeks also (dual battery, UHF, wire up d'lights, Anderson and brake controller)

All in all, am very happy with the car so far - such a pleasure to drive.

Suspension measurements are (at 1 week after fitting):

(before/after)

Front LHS 760/805
    Front RHS 765/805
    Rear LHS 775/835
    Rear RHS 775/835

So that gives me +45mm in the front and +60mm in the rear (measured unloaded with only 1/2 tank of fuel and 3-5psi in airbags).

Each corner has settled about 10mm since fitting a week ago to the above measurements

That is pretty much exactly what I was chasing.

One thing that has surprised me was the resulting front CV angles (photo is a little dark, but you can make it out):

I thought a 45mm lift would have resulted in a more level angle than this - might need to consider a diff drop....

So it has been a little while since I have updated this.... so here is a bit of a mass update on the previous 18mths.

Driving lights (IPF900XS transferred from Jeep). These lights seemed to work a lot better on the Jeep, however I think it is just that the factory headlights on the Prado are that much better.

CB Radio (transferred from Jeep) - this is a hidden unit behind the dash with the hand controller coming through one of the switch blanks like this:

Dual Batter (80ah wet cell under bonnet on ARB 10inch tray) with Redarc 1225 BCDC. I have put a switch on the blue wire so that it can be turned off when I hook up the camper trailer - just in case the 1240 BCDC in the camper overloads the alternator.

BCDC unit installed behind the front grill per Redarc's recommendation:

Installed Anderson and poly air valves to the rear bar on a bracket - seems to keep them up out of the way but right where you need them.

Also installed an iPad holder to run Hema maps on. This took a bit of trial and error but I am pretty happy with where I finished - it is very steady, right where I want it, and not to much in the way of the passenger. As a bonus, I was able to also mount the CB hand piece on another RAM arm. It is perhaps a little untidy from the passenger's perspective, but that isn't where I sit....

I made this bracket from some 3mm aluminium angle - can be removed if necessary with the screw holes pretty well hidden:

View from driving position:

Got all the RAM parts from a local GPS shop - not cheep, but very sturdy and quite adjustable. I might look at swapping the UHF mount for an iPhone mount when around town.

Installed a few rod holder options (I do like my beach fishing) as follows:

Bull bar - this carry's the most rods but is the most cumbersome to use. I usually load it up to get to the beach and then don't tend to use it when I am there. It also clashed with the UHF aerial on the passenger side, but the reels are high enough that they are not in the way on the driver's side (although the rod tips bounce on the roof rack when the reels are mounted high). The reels need tying in if travelling any appreciable distance.

Then I found these by Alvey - these are my favorite - so simple and easy to use, and holds 1 or 2 (or even 3) rods very securely. There was a bit of modifying to avoid them clashing with the shovel (mounted them on a Rhino heavy duty cross bar cut down):

Finally, I modified some Rhino brackets and holders to come up with these that are mounted to the awning - just as good as the Alvey rack, but a little more involved.

Between all of these, I think I have my rod holding options covered....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast