Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iveco 4x4

Have driven 4wd trucks off road for years with the RFS. It is absolutely amassing where those things can go, the little canters are almost unstoppable. The bigger Isuzu's are a bit limited but still quite surprising where they will go.
    Glenn
    2012 GX TD 150 with long mudflaps - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...370-Yota-s-150
    1996 GXL TD 95 with no mudflaps (sold) - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-Build-Up-quot

The old man has recently bought a new Isuzu NPR 4wd cab chassis and is building a body for the back Earthcruiser style. As with every camping set up it has it's draw backs and there is no perfect all round set up. He believes it'll get into more spots than a big van and 4wd, but also realises it won't go everywhere. He mainly wants it for touring. Although he's going at a cracking pace he needs to get it finished so we can build my small offroad van!

Quote Originally Posted by JPH View Post
    The old man has recently bought a new Isuzu NPR 4wd cab chassis and is building a body for the back Earthcruiser style. As with every camping set up it has it's draw backs and there is no perfect all round set up. He believes it'll get into more spots than a big van and 4wd, but also realises it won't go everywhere. He mainly wants it for touring. Although he's going at a cracking pace he needs to get it finished so we can build my small offroad van!
    Any chance of some pictures?

Theres lots of people that consider Prado's "an expensive under performer". To quote one of the chaps in All 4 Adventure - "I had a Prado once. Sold it 'cause they're a bit of a girls car."
    Obviously Toyota wouldn't sponsor him!!
    2003 Prado Grande TD Auto Pearl White

Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post

Theres lots of people that consider Prado's "an expensive under performer". To quote one of the chaps in All 4 Adventure - "I had a Prado once. Sold it 'cause they're a bit of a girls car."
    Would that be right before one effortlessly ploughs through a big hole he's just used lockers to get across?
    120 GXLatte D4D Auto, with a 'List of Wants' greater than the 'List of Needs' greater than the 'List of Haves'

Quote Originally Posted by r4ndll View Post
    Would that be right before one effortlessly ploughs through a big hole he's just used lockers to get across?
    A huh......and somewhere around the time when two "adventurers" almost lost two vehicles in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    Any chance of some pictures?

Not too much to see at the moment, the base got lifted off the cab chassis over the weekend and turned over. He's currently finishing off the welds and sorting out water tanks. I'll grab some photos shortly.

Cheers

Josh

one word. Awesome.
    2004 GX 3.0TD Manual, rear ARB locker + diff breather, BFG A/T's + Avanti mags, Dual Batteries + LeighW voltage booster, Safari Snorkel, Awning & strip lighting, Steel bullbar and 12000lb Winch, Beaudesert Exhaust, 2" TD lift kit, Ironman underbody protection & Roller systems rear drawers with fridge slide & 65L Primus Mammoth fridge full of beers! Prado and custom camper build thread here

I was down the shops the other week and a guy pulled up in a standard parking spot in one of these. It stopped me in my tracks, and I just had to ask him for a look inside. Air seats, 37" tyres, 24 forward gears, 4 reverse, etc.

When I win the lotto, this is what I will be setting up for a trip around OZ. Won't do everything but sure will do a lot.

http://www.iveco.com.au/index.php/of...x4/daily-range
    Here for a good time, not a long time!

2013 Toyota Prado GXL D4D Auto

want one.....
    2013 (12 build) GX Auto.......with safari snorkel, toyota bar, tow bar, roof racks, led spots with fancy newpro switchgear, uniden remote UHF and aerial, ARB bash plates, Roadsafe recovery points, digoptions radio, general grabber AT2s, cheap ebay roof rack that has stood up surprisingly well.....

Check this puppy out, notice the licence plates! I'm sure it's seen some stuff but I wouldn't be taking it bush without a bullbar, one roo and you'd be sunk.

All well and good, but what about the weight? Must be well over 3 tonnes with camper on board.

Wouldn't that be a rather large impediment to fuel economy and getting about in difficult country (not to mention getting recovered?) I can't imagine a Prado being much use snatching one of these. Bog it in sand and that might be where you're spending the rest of your holiday

When I looked last, they had a piddly 90L fuel tank and they didn't even quote on-road economy.

Edit, found a test: http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...ily_55s_review

They reckon 15L/100km.
    Last edited by photoprado; 02-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Bilstein/RidePro][Rear Polyairs][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle Rack & 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][MCC Dual Wheel Carrier][Tigerz Awning]

Pro's and con's. As for weight and tight places you're in the same boat with a loaded cruiser, or equivalent, pulling a van. Lots of places you can't go with that. I believe the chap thats building one is putting in a bigger fuel tank. I would also investigate a winch. It would probably be expensive, but worth it.

Found a build-up thread:

http://www.goingbush.com/iveco.html

Lots of details there worth looking at including the fuel tank.

Also: http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/home do a camper version of the Iveco.
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Bilstein/RidePro][Rear Polyairs][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle Rack & 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][MCC Dual Wheel Carrier][Tigerz Awning]

The old man loves the Earthcruiser, just not the price tag! This is where he is at so far

Chassis / floor of the camper, upside down for welding, looking from the back.

Looking from the front, you can see wall frames in the background as well, ready to be welded on.

And the cab chassis.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but also will enable him to tow his Clubman around with him when he wants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast