Caravan Towing 150 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark,
    I would be interested in your thoughts on how your airbags have added to you're towing experience and also the use of a WDH and whether you consider them essential.
    I have previously had airbags in my Xtrail to firm up my rear suspension which worked very well. I wasn't allowed to use a WDH by Nissan to transfer the weight to the front wheels.
    Now that I have just purchased a Prado diesel auto 2 days ago I am considering whether I need to install airbags again if the rear suspension is a bit soft (?), and also an auto transmission cooler and to consider the use of a WDH.
    I understand the advantages of a WDH but I am a little cautious as I used one many years ago on my VB commodore towing a camper trailer. It worked well except that it bent the back end of my car despite having Holden strengthening boot struts and it being set up correctly (yes it was by experts).
    As a WDH puts a lot of pressure on the A frame and car I am reluctant unless needed to ensure safety. ( I realise that this topic can get very serious by some people! )

I welcome your or anyone else's thoughts
    thanks
    David

Comment

Bluedog,

Hook your van to the Prado, then park it on a flat surface and have a look from a distance to see if the set-up is level.

If the rear of the Prado is down a bit, it means you need to boost the rear suspension.

Drive the set-up to a quiet street, no cars or cops about, drive along at the speed limit, then try a reasonably hard stop (be prepared for anything strange to happen, back off if necessary) If the rear sags down during the stop, it means the rear is too soft, and the front tyres may lock up and skid, because a lot of the weight is transferred to the rear tyres, and weight is taken off the front tyres.

I have just traded my van on a new model (not ready yet, still in build mode at the factory) The tow ball weight was near maximum for the Prado, and I used a H/R WDH with upgraded suspension and Poly Air bags. The rear of the Prado sat up a bit when empty, but with the van on, the rear dropped to even height with the front and the van sat level with the road.

The new van will be a little bit lighter, and lighter on the tow ball, but will still use the WDH and air bags inflated.

Also add extra air to the tyres, more at the rear.

With the WDH, don't need to set the links on the bars at maximum pressure, firm but not so that it creaks and groans all the time (do not drive through steep dips, over speed humps, or into service stations with steep gutters when the WDH is attached as it will strain the hitch neck, tow bar, bolts, etc)

Comment

Yowie,

Thank you for your thoughts and time to respond.
        I have just booked the car in for a HR tow hitch to be put on, on Thursday 16th and I will then see how it goes.
        I should have added my van weighs fully loaded 1500kg with a ball weight of 160kg.
        I wonder how popular airbags in the rear suspension are for Prado owners rather than installing stiffer coils or just using a WDH only ?
        thanks David

Comment

The WDH makes a big difference when towing a big van, not sure you would notice it as much with a loaded van of 1500kg. I did a bit of towing with just standard suspension and WDH and it all makes an improvement. I have towed my brothers single axle pop top expanda, you hardly noticed it was there, but it was after I had upgraded my suspension and I didn`t use a WDH.

I personally prefer stiffer springs over airbags, as long as it isn`t overdone, mine are just the minimum dobinson ones. At a guess I woudln`t rush out to fit a WDH hitch on your 1500kg van, the suspension upgrade is worthwhile in my opinion even if you don`t plan on towing. Makes for a much better handling car in all conditions.
          stepped up the a 200 LC for towing,
          but had a 2012 and 2010 150 Prado GXL auto diesel in Graphite with Bridgestone D697 A/T. Dobinson C59-300/325 and Bilsteins. Accessories : two baby seats. Sidewinder`s Dual Battery isolator and rear power outlet kit. Pirana Battery tray, Hayman Reese towbar with Toyota wiring kit and Brains`s guard.

Comment

Hi maxjj
            Thanks for your reply.
            I will consider stiffer springs as another option.

David

Comment

Originally posted by sleeky5 View Post
              My 150 is the first auto 4WD I have owned and am still experimenting with driving styles when towing. Please excuse my ignorance but can someone tell me what the difference between "D5" and "S5" is? Many have said they tow in S4 and then slip it into D on the flat. I am just curious to know why D and not S5.

Thanks
              Neil
              The Prado will sit for longer with the torque converter locked up in D than S5. Generally in S mode you will be holding lower gears longer and using more revs, so much better for towing but if you want it locked up in 5th for a quiet cruise on the flat then D is the choice. When in the bush I always use D for uphill and S mode down as S mode revs too hard climbing for my liking. I am considering installing a torque lock switch, $420 and problem solved.
              Prado Polar White 150 GX 3.0 TD Auto. HR TB, ARB delux bar, Hella R2000 lights, Magnum winch, ARB 50mm lift, BFG AT 265/70R17 on 71/2" alloys, Alloy side steps, Rhino sport bars, Tint, UHF, Scangauge, Aux batt (ABR kit), Cargo barrier, 50l water tank, Storage system, Elec brake con. ARB compressor

Comment

Originally posted by barajak View Post
                The Prado will sit for longer with the torque converter locked up in D than S5. Generally in S mode you will be holding lower gears longer and using more revs, so much better for towing but if you want it locked up in 5th for a quiet cruise on the flat then D is the choice. When in the bush I always use D for uphill and S mode down as S mode revs too hard climbing for my liking. I am considering installing a torque lock switch, $420 and problem solved.
                Thanks for clarifying that. I am also very interested in the idea of a torque lock switch. I must admit though that the 150 auto is certainly much more leisurely on the open road than my 120 manual was, even without the trailer behind. Maybe a chip is needed also.

Regards
                Neil
                2018 GXL D4D auto, ARB bar, dual batteries, BFG A/T's, Dobinson/Bilstein suspension

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedog16 View Post
                  Hi Mark,
                  I would be interested in your thoughts on how your airbags have added to you're towing experience and also the use of a WDH and whether you consider them essential.
                  I have previously had airbags in my Xtrail to firm up my rear suspension which worked very well. I wasn't allowed to use a WDH by Nissan to transfer the weight to the front wheels.
                  Now that I have just purchased a Prado diesel auto 2 days ago I am considering whether I need to install airbags again if the rear suspension is a bit soft (?), and also an auto transmission cooler and to consider the use of a WDH.
                  I understand the advantages of a WDH but I am a little cautious as I used one many years ago on my VB commodore towing a camper trailer. It worked well except that it bent the back end of my car despite having Holden strengthening boot struts and it being set up correctly (yes it was by experts).
                  As a WDH puts a lot of pressure on the A frame and car I am reluctant unless needed to ensure safety. ( I realise that this topic can get very serious by some people! )

I welcome your or anyone else's thoughts
                  thanks
                  David
                  I can see a few others have responded as well.....the Prado was set up for remote touring (which I have done a heap of these last three years), that included Bilstein suspension, stiffer King Springs and Poly Airbags in the back.

To be honest I am not using the Poly's when towing as the WDH levels up the vehicle's very well....I am sure the stiffer springs would help as well....so I don't think you need both, but sadly can't answer the next question which might be "Poly's or WDH"

To me the WDH is as much about keeping the right pressure on the front steering wheels as it is levelling up........so if there was a choice I'd say WDH over Poly's

Hope that helps
                  150 Silver Diesel GXL Auto with ECB Bullbar, Toyota Factory towbar, Black Widow Drawer system with Fridge slide and cargo barrier, GME UHF 3340 Radio, Waeco 50 Litre Fridge, Rhino Racks and Rhino Basket, ARB Awning, IPF XS Spotties, ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system,Airtec Snorkel, Bilstien Shockies, King Springs, Poly Airbags and BFG A/T''s. Now towing a semi offroad Lotus Freelander 18.6 Van, with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

When I have used D when towing the van it hunts between 4th and 5th. I wouldn`t use a torque lock switch to hold it in 5th when towing a heavy van. It will put more torque through your auto than running at higher revs, engine will have less cooling and you are closer to labouring your engine. For my money revs are good when working hard towing a van.
                    stepped up the a 200 LC for towing,
                    but had a 2012 and 2010 150 Prado GXL auto diesel in Graphite with Bridgestone D697 A/T. Dobinson C59-300/325 and Bilsteins. Accessories : two baby seats. Sidewinder`s Dual Battery isolator and rear power outlet kit. Pirana Battery tray, Hayman Reese towbar with Toyota wiring kit and Brains`s guard.

Comment

Torque lock when towing would be to hold forth and give the option of third locked up (Prado only locks in fourth and fifth). I only tow in fifth when coasting downhill when no engine braking is required. (horse float or van both around two tonne)
                      Prado Polar White 150 GX 3.0 TD Auto. HR TB, ARB delux bar, Hella R2000 lights, Magnum winch, ARB 50mm lift, BFG AT 265/70R17 on 71/2" alloys, Alloy side steps, Rhino sport bars, Tint, UHF, Scangauge, Aux batt (ABR kit), Cargo barrier, 50l water tank, Storage system, Elec brake con. ARB compressor

Comment

I tow a full single axle van weighing about 2500 kg with a 150 auto diesel. The van is quite new and the first couple of times I towed it I was disappointed in the lack of torque when climbing hills. I always tow in S4. After reading lots of opinions on this and other forums, I contacted Santa Claus and he delivered a DP chip and an auto transmission oil cooler. I already had a Scangauge II, Polyairs and a WDH..

After fitting these goodies I took the van away for a few days and what a difference! The extra torque available due to the chip is significant and it holds on in S4 much longer than it did previously. As an example, I was travelling South along the M1 (NSW) doing 100 km/h at the start of the Hawkesbury River bridge. I held the accelerator steady for what is quite a long steep hill and at the top it only slowed down to 90 km/h whilst still holding 4th gear! I haven't been able to properly check fuel consumption yet, but it SEEMS to be returning about 14-15 l/100km, down from 16-17

The transmission oil cooler also seems worthwhile with the temperature sitting at about 65 deg C when the T/C is locked up. A big difference.

I realise that I will probably never recoup the cost of the chip but it's SO nice to drive now.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by penguin View Post
                          I tow a full single axle van weighing about 2500 kg with a 150 auto diesel. The van is quite new and the first couple of times I towed it I was disappointed in the lack of torque when climbing hills. I always tow in S4. After reading lots of opinions on this and other forums, I contacted Santa Claus and he delivered a DP chip and an auto transmission oil cooler. I already had a Scangauge II, Polyairs and a WDH..

After fitting these goodies I took the van away for a few days and what a difference! The extra torque available due to the chip is significant and it holds on in S4 much longer than it did previously. As an example, I was travelling South along the M1 (NSW) doing 100 km/h at the start of the Hawkesbury River bridge. I held the accelerator steady for what is quite a long steep hill and at the top it only slowed down to 90 km/h whilst still holding 4th gear! I haven't been able to properly check fuel consumption yet, but it SEEMS to be returning about 14-15 l/100km, down from 16-17

The transmission oil cooler also seems worthwhile with the temperature sitting at about 65 deg C when the T/C is locked up. A big difference.

I realise that I will probably never recoup the cost of the chip but it's SO nice to drive now.

Mike
                          Jealous.....but after spending $60K on a Prado, another $20K on bits and pieces, and $65K on a new van sadly the bank balance is a little "jaded"........and as I am no longer working its not a matter of putting it on the "never never" plan, so I'll just have to dream!!
                          150 Silver Diesel GXL Auto with ECB Bullbar, Toyota Factory towbar, Black Widow Drawer system with Fridge slide and cargo barrier, GME UHF 3340 Radio, Waeco 50 Litre Fridge, Rhino Racks and Rhino Basket, ARB Awning, IPF XS Spotties, ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system,Airtec Snorkel, Bilstien Shockies, King Springs, Poly Airbags and BFG A/T''s. Now towing a semi offroad Lotus Freelander 18.6 Van, with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Originally posted by maxjj View Post
                            The WDH makes a big difference when towing a big van, not sure you would notice it as much with a loaded van of 1500kg. I did a bit of towing with just standard suspension and WDH and it all makes an improvement. I have towed my brothers single axle pop top expanda, you hardly noticed it was there, but it was after I had upgraded my suspension and I didn`t use a WDH.

I personally prefer stiffer springs over airbags, as long as it isn`t overdone, mine are just the minimum dobinson ones. At a guess I woudln`t rush out to fit a WDH hitch on your 1500kg van, the suspension upgrade is worthwhile in my opinion even if you don`t plan on towing. Makes for a much better handling car in all conditions.
                            For those not familiar with Weight Distribution Hitch, it is effectively a torsion bar (spring) lifting weight from the center of the rig to the ends. Or if you like transferring weight from the back wheels of the Prado to the front wheels and trailer wheels. This not only levels up the rig but will help braking particularly noticeable in the wet or on unsealed surfaces and in stiffening up the connection makes the trailer more stable. Heavier rear springs or Polly Airs will make the rig look good and level but do nothing for breaking or stability, worse, because it looks good it will mask a weight distribution problem you then discover when you pucker up with ABS rattle on the front when you try a harsh stop in the wet.

Comment

For those not familiar with Weight Distribution Hitch, it is effectively a torsion bar (spring) lifting weight from the center of the rig to the ends. Or if you like transferring weight from the back wheels of the Prado to the front wheels and trailer wheels. This not only levels up the rig but will help braking particularly noticeable in the wet or on unsealed surfaces and in stiffening up the connection makes the trailer more stable. Heavier rear springs or Polly Airs will make the rig look good and level but do nothing for breaking or stability, worse, because it looks good it will mask a weight distribution problem you then discover when you pucker up with ABS rattle on the front when you try a harsh stop in the wet.
                              Agree, I reckon a WDH is a great investment.....my stiffer springs do "level out the rig" BUT I know the WDH transfers the weight to the front, exactly where I'd like it in an emergency braking situation.

Comment

Hi,

I have a 150 GXL update model which always has DRL's on (GXL runs basically the headlights on low-which I like on).
                                However, when I connected the car to the caravan to check all was well I noticed that the caravan parkers are now also switched on permanately too!
                                This makes sense but I would like to know if indeed this is Toyota's normal design specification - just curious.
                                I Emailed Toyota Customer Service to check if this is meant to be but got the answer 'we are unable to provide any detailed technical guidance - contact your dealer' I will check with them but doubt they will know.
                                I have had installed a Toyota wiring loom which comes with a 7 pin plug (fitted by Dealer) and fitted by a HR installer a HR hitch receiver and they changed the 7 pin plug to a 12 pin plug to allow for a separate fridge wire.
                                Has anyone with a update model towed a van and noticed their vans lights are also on permanately too?
                                thanks
                                David

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X