Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Inactive member.
    Blog Entries
    Cheap find kudos

I want an end wall for the wide end to mount via the sail track if anybody can find one.

Crikey. The Rhino is $379 and I can get it through local ARB for $350. I've had a look and it's quite robust and has strong ropes and good poles. I'm wary of the oztrail product as their quality varies considerably. I bought 2 new oztrail camp chairs early this year and the stitching has come loose on the arms already. Took them back and got 2 new chairs but the material is the same.
    Dave
    Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
    Jan 09 GXL 120 D4D auto, Dune: Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

I have the same awning and bought it for $199 also from BCF. I think it's about 1.5years now and the locking mechanism on all the poles have given up. The camlocks inside the pole won't lock onto the insides of the outer pole. I have since removed it and tried to clean it and give ti a good spray of silicone. Haven't used it since then but they seemed OK for the first year.
    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
    My Rig Build up

Quote Originally Posted by D4D View Post
    I want an end wall for the wide end to mount via the sail track if anybody can find one.
    I looked and could not find one, so I just had a local upholsterer make one up for me. Works a treat, rope track at the top, Velcro straps on the sides to attach to the poles and brass eyelets in the bottom to peg down or for poles if additional roof area is required. Was cheap as chips too from memory and will still roll up into the case with the awning so you are not putting it into the track every time you set up, just unzip, rollout and drop the side down. I also had an end made, rarely put it up but has come in handy on a few rainy occasions.

I can post a pic tomorrow if you like? (On the iPad ATM so can't)
    2012 D4D GXL Auto - Graphite with some TJM enhancement.
    My Build Up

A Truly Happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery whilst on a detour!!!

Quote Originally Posted by D4D View Post
    Have a look here
    http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...l=1#post421751
    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
    My Rig Build up

Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    I have the same awning and bought it for $199 also from BCF. I think it's about 1.5years now and the locking mechanism on all the poles have given up. The camlocks inside the pole won't lock onto the insides of the outer pole. I have since removed it and tried to clean it and give ti a good spray of silicone. Haven't used it since then but they seemed OK for the first year.
    Same as Andrew - one of my poles doesn't want to lock anymore. It takes heaps of fiddling. Anyone got any ideas to repair them?
    Diesel Prado with various things...

Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    Woops, maybe I didn't look hard enough......

That looks exactly like what I had made! From memory I only paid about $50 and it's made from a tarp like material that is silver one side and white on the other, lightweight but seems strong.
    2012 D4D GXL Auto - Graphite with some TJM enhancement.
    My Build Up

A Truly Happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery whilst on a detour!!!

I looked at these, all the cheapies seem pretty close to the same quality so I just went with the cheapest. I reckon if I get a lot of use out of it and it falls apart it'll be time for a better one

Tigerz is $160 with $9.95 flat rate shipping. http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-c...2-5m-x-2m.html
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Dobinsons 302/487+MRR][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop][Tin175's stone guards][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle Rack & 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][MCC Rear Bar][Tigerz Awning]

Quote Originally Posted by iantz View Post
    Same as Andrew - one of my poles doesn't want to lock anymore. It takes heaps of fiddling. Anyone got any ideas to repair them?
    If the cam mechanism is no longer working and not repairable, you could drill holes at the right height(s) and secure with a bolt and wingnut I guess. Are you able to completely dismantle the poles?
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Dobinsons 302/487+MRR][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop][Tin175's stone guards][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle Rack & 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][MCC Rear Bar][Tigerz Awning]

Quote Originally Posted by photoprado View Post
    If the cam mechanism is no longer working and not repairable, you could drill holes at the right height(s) and secure with a bolt and wingnut I guess. Are you able to completely dismantle the poles?
    When on uneven ground, it would be nice to set the poles to what ever height is needed. But I guess you could drill multiple holes for different heights needed.

All the poles can come off and will come apart for cleaning. After cleaning, the camlocks are now working but I'm not sure how long it will last. I have 4 pretty robust camping poles which I hope will be a good replacement. The camlocks in them have not failed me yet. If the pole diameters are all pretty close, then it's time for some enhancements.
    My Rig Build up

Now not so sure about the OZtrail.

Does the Tigerz have a sail track (slotted track) to attach an end wall?
    2007 Update 120 D4D, GXL Auto Option Pack 1 - ARB winch bar, ARB UVP, ARB tradesman rack, 2" OME, Safari Snorkel, HR towbar, Tigerz11 12000lb Grande, IPF 900 Extreme, W602C, Hilux Scoop
    My Build http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-Prado-120-D4D

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast