Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any common problems with 1kz-te diesel engine?

any common problems with 1kz-te diesel engine?

Hi guys new to the forum, hope this is in the right section, I'm looking at buying a 2005 Prado 120 series with 3.0l turbo deisel 1KZ-te engine 140,000km..... was just chasing any info i can find on this engine, common faults, reliability ect...? cheers!

Blog Entries
    have a search through the 120 diesel section most of the issues that varyious members have had will already be listed...
    2007 D4D 120 GXL Automatic - BLACK

I bought my 2003 120 1KZ-TE at 130000ks and it has now done 235000ks without an ounce of trouble except for a weep in the radiator. I treat it kindly and change the oil every 5000ks and the filter at 10000ks, I've towed a caravan to Perth and back as well as towing the van right up the beach on Fraser Island a couple of times. The auto box does the job very nicely and I expect to get many more trouble free ks out of it.

Go for it,
    Foxo.

I bought mine with 245,000ks on the clock and have now done 280,000 with no dramas aside from again a weepy rad. Ive done a bit of research and the only thing i have come up with so far is make sure you change the glow plugs every 100k. Also keep the oil clean. Change it every 5000k and give it a good flush. these engines are good for 500k if they are looked after. The most common way of them dying is when they sludge and coke up and starve themselves of oil due to lack of care - same as most jap oil burners.

Its a basic engine hence why i wanted it. The D4D's seem far too fussy and fragile. Also expensive and complex to fix.

Most of the problems are associated to the D4D after late 2006 I believe
    150 Glacier White GXL D4D Auto

Cool, thanks heaps for the info guys, sounds like the 1kz-te is really reliable, although less power than the D4D, i worry about the sensitive injectors on the common rail D4D still thinking and looking around though. Cheers!

The 2005 GXL KZJ120 is an outstanding model. There wasn't the head problems in the 120 series. TMC actually upped the amount of coolant in the cooling system by nearly 1.5L compared to the 95 series. I would still favour the manual gearbox configuration.
    If your worried about the head problem you can always remove the genuine head and install a AMC brand of head. Much better quality than the genuine Chinese stuff and that will be the end of any head problems you may have in the future.
    If you are going to do a lot of 4wding, install at least an ARB locker in the rear with aftermarket crown and pinion gears. Always baby sit your front CVs. Keep fresh diff oil up to that front diff housing and for oil and fuel filters, Bosch is the go. You can order these items in from any SCA store. The genuine filters have got way to expensive for what they are so forget them.
    The first mod you should do is installing a pre filter before the genuine fuel filter arrangement. May I suggest the Racor 230R assembly.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RACOR-230...item43ae2cb60c
    Yes, much cheaper from the US of A. I buy from this business quite a lot and have found them to be really good with their prices and service. Excellent delivery service as well. In Australia Parker rip us off.
    Hope this helps, the Roo.

I have just lost my 2005 Prado motor on 225000km, cylinder head cracked between 2 pistons. The complete engine is scraped with the turbo. If you searched you will found that a cracked cylinder head is common.

Addicted PP Member Anth120playdo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    I have just lost my 2005 Prado motor on 225000km, cylinder head cracked between 2 pistons. The complete engine is scraped with the turbo. If you searched you will found that a cracked cylinder head is common.
    Percentage wise probably not that common really?
    Cheers, Anth
    Silver 120 1kd with BDG injectors, the way to be, full DLC

CAUTION: what I post is just my opinion from my experience, as a Vehicle Tech.
    CRD injectors, wear n tear items, get them changed before its too late
    pm me for funky pp get spotted stickers

My 120 is in at the moment for a new head.Toyota sevice manager said "it's not an uncommon problem"
    04 GXL 3L TD Toyota Bullbar 2"TJM lift TJM OX hyd winch Blackwidow draws 40LT Engel dual batteries Mickey Thompson ATZ's Steinbauer P Box Airtek snorkel (colour coded)
    Its now gone sad to say but enjoying the replacement LC200 with a BIG list of bits to add.Lifted pre rego

I have gone into this before with the head problem on the 1KZs. Basically, the problem is in the castings and the materials used. Yes, the good old chinese manufacturer used recycled materials in these heads and that's why it affects some people and not some others. It's a lottery that the chinese made up producing crap product like almost everything all the time. A Spanish company, AMC, produces head products for this make of engine and it's a beautiful thing especially when you line it up against the chinese genuine one. The price is excellent as well and you can buy a new one for $1,780.00 with the camshaft and all, ready just to bolt on to the block, from SMS Diesel Spares. Do not reinstall a genuine Toyota head as it may happen again, the cracked head thing, AMC all the way I reckon.
    Once you do this with the AMC head you will never look back as I have done, never look back that is. Make sure you replace the old head bolts with new ones as well.
    Hope this helps, the Roo.

So the 1kzte doesn't suffer from the the injector/seal problems of the D4D ?????? sorry if I'm in the wrong place to ask or if it has been asked before, I'm new and this is my first post Just need to know before I commit to buying 2004 intercooled TD Prado for the mrs..

The 1kz isn't the same arrangement. You need to remember that in any diesel injectors are a consumable but the injectors are much cheaper on the 1kz. I don't know what the injector seals are made of but I haven't heard of the same issue.
    Bluestorm mafia and maybe one or two other vices.
    My 150: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-D4D-automatic

Hi mate I bought mine 05 prado when it 50 thou on the clock I have never had problem with it and I have giving it one hell of a life I don't muck around so basically I drive the ass of it and she just keeps on going but in saying that I am very particular bout my servicing every 5k. The old girls can handle a fair bit. Mine now has done just Over 200k and I'm still on the original injectors glow plugs clutch and brakes but they are due to changed very shortly along with the injectors. So I can not fault it
    "wounds heal but scars last for ever"

Yep, they are a good motor, it'll be interesting to see you're glow plugs after 200k mick mine burnt out at 100, no damage but a bugger to change the fuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast