Melb to Alice Springs via Oodnadatta Track - June/July 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melb to Alice Springs via Oodnadatta Track - June/July 2010

It's been a long time in the making but it's finally here. My first attempt at a trip report, so i hope you guys and girls don't fall sleep and it provides people with some information and or some photo's that might get them interested if there looking at planning a similar trip. The report covers Melbourne to Alice Springs via The Flinders Ranges, Oodnadatta Track to Alice Springs returning via Coober Pedy and Roxby Downs. The main goal was to get to Alice to climb the rock. The vehicle was decked out as the signature suggests but also had a space case, extra spare tyre on the roof and a 60L engel with 20L two-zone in the back of the car with enough frozen meat (vac pac'd) to last the 28 days. This was the families first long trip away so probably was carrying a bit extra than required (for comfort)...as the wife was nearly 6 months pregnant. Enjoy!

Saturday 19th June - Cranbourne to Mildura

Left home a tad later than planned but got under away to Mildura to meet up with my mum and partner coming from Sydney who would be accompanying us in his patrol and borrowed camper. I think by the end of the trip his mate might have wished he didn't lend it to him. :lol: Had the foot to the floor the whole way up there as the fuel consumption figures show. Passed through Bendigo, Inglewood, Wycheproof and Ouyen to arrive late afternoon. Swapped a bit of food around and prepared to head out in the morning.

Ready to Go

Sunday 20th June - Mildura to Burra Gorge

Heading off from Mildura around lunch time we set a path towards Burra. Another day on the road heading through Renmark, Waikerie and Morgan. We decided to spend the night at Burra Gorge. A great little camping area about 30 km's from Burra. Set up camp had a bite to eat and the wife tried to make her first damper in the camp oven. Pretty good effort considering we had to try to remember the ingredients and quantities as we lost internet service before we hit Burra and couldn't get back to the recipe. :lol:

Camp set up

Burra Gorge

Monday 21st - Wednesday 23rd June - Burra Gorge to Wilpena (Flinders Ranges)

After a cold morning we headed off toward The Flinders Ranges through Peterborough, Orroroo, Cradock and Hawker arriving late afternoon again due to a few too many coffee and shopping/sight seeing expeditions by the elder travelling companions. :roll: Arriving at Wilpena we decided to stay for three nights and base ourselves in the camping grounds and head out from there for daytrips. Tuesday morning was cold (Infact all mornings in the Flinders were freezing) and we headed along the Brachina Gorge Geological Trail. The scenery was stunning and can most definately recommend a visit. We then headed up the tar to Parachilna pub for lunch and a well earned beverage or two. After lunch we got back on the dirt and headed east to Blinman then back south to Wilpena. On the Wednesday morning we headed North East from Wilpena to Mount Chambers Gorge for lunch and then on to Wearing Gorge and ruins. After driving around for a couple of days and only seeing a small portion of the Flinders Ranges we will definately have to go back, but next time we'll be camping at the different camp sites and not just the one spot as there are more scenic areas to camp than just in the camp grounds.

Wilpena Camping Grounds

Razorback Lookout

Parachilna Pub

Mt Chambers Gorge

Wearing Ruins

Creek Crossing

Thursday 24th June - Flinders Ranges to Farina

Heading to Farina for the night we cut across to the tar near Merna Mora and headed north through Parachilna (had to resist stopping for a beer) and Leigh Creek where we stocked up on a few supplies and of course had a beer at the pub. Farina is a great little spot to camp and I think it cost about $10 each in the honesty box. It was only a short stroll to the ruins which are spectacular viewing on sunset and great to wander around in with the kids.

Farina

Friday 25th June - Farina to Coward Springs

Friday took us through Marree to fuel up and a look around before starting the Oodnadatta Track. We had a bit of a walk around Marree and we had a few stops on the way to Coward Springs to check out the murals at Alberrie Creek, Curdimurka rail siding and to grab some timber for the night's fire. It felt good to be on the track finally and with only the one puncture (which was in the Wilpena camp grounds as i drove into our camp site :roll: ) the trip was going along flawlessly. On the way the clouds looked like they had a bit of rain in them so we set up camp first and drove back to check out the mound springs. After getting back from the springs it was time to grab a beer and jump into the hot tub (which wasn't that hot).

Marree

One of many Alberrie Creek murals

The Old Ghan Railway

Kids found under a railway sleeper

One of the mound springs

Coward Springs Hot Tub

Saturday 26th June - Coward Springs to Oodnadatta

After a little rain overnight i woke in the morning to find the front passenger tyre flat. It was only a leaking valve so it was fixed easy enough. It was another cold but clear morning as we set off for Oodnadatta checking out a few ruins along the way and the old Telegraph Station at Strangways Springs. Lunch was at the William Creek pub. The food was delicious, as was the beer and it was hard to pull myself away but we had to keep moving. We decided to head into Peake Station which took a little longer than expected to get into due to the road condition and by the time we stopped at Algebuckina Bridge we didn't make it into Oodnadatta roadhouse until just after 6.30pm. We grabbed a spot in the caravan park (loosely termed) and slapped up a quick feed before i headed up to the Transcontinenal pub for a quick beer. There was plenty of action out the front around the fires but when the local's dogs started fighting at the front door and had to be removed (nothing like a swift kick to the head to quell a dog fight) I thought it was time to head back to the safety of the camper trailer....after all it was 8pm. :lol: I've worked around and been to a few outback pubs before but this place was something special.

Old Telegraph Station - Strangways Springs

William Creek Hotel

Pink Oodnadatta Roadhouse

Sunset near Oodnadatta

Transcontinental Hotel :lol:

Sunday 27th June - Monday 28th June - Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs

We headed off bound for Dalhousie Springs in the morning. The road through Pedirka was closed (apparantly the owner is no longer prepared to keep it in good nick so it's been closed) so we headed further north and got in via Bloods Creek. We had to pull over for 10 minutes near Bloods Creek whilst they mustered some cattle with bikes, cars and a plane and it was only the last 40 odd km section of road into Dalhousie which was corrugation central. Screws came out of the kitchen in the camper, all screws came out of my left spotlight with both spotties coming loose (the lens held in by only the clear cover) and one side of the rock deflector on the camper fatigued and was about to fall off. Only minor drama's and it was nothing that couldn't be solved with a few screws, a tie down strap, a couple of beers and a swim in the spring. We stayed in Dalhousie for two nights and went for a drive into Purni Bore on the Monday so we could say we'd been into the Simpson Desert. :wink:

Mustering

Dalhousie Springs

Sunrise over the campsites

Purni Bore

Simpson Desert

Tuesday 29th June - Dalhousie to Lambert's Centre of Australia (Finke).

Another cold start to the morning saw us pack up and set course for the Centre of Australia. The toughest section was the 40km leaving Dalhousie along those corrugations again, but they seemed to go smoother (probably because i knew what was coming). There was also about 20km of large gibber rocks to contend with on the way to Mt Dare no where near as bad as those corrugations though. After filling up the hungry stomachs (and thirsty throats) at Mt Dare Hotel and topping up on some diesel it was time to cross the border into N.T. We arrived at the Lambert's Centre of Australia set up camp and settled in for a T-bone and veg with a couple of beers of course to wash all the dust out of the system. About 3-4 vehicles entered the camp around 8pm and it wasnt until the morning we found out they were starting there journey from there in two days to run to Birdsville across the Simpson to raise money for breast cancer research. Some people have a weird idea of what is enjoyable and fun, but it was for a good cause and we gladly parted with some hard earned.

Crossing the Border

Lambert's Centre of Australia

Wednesday 30th June - Lambert's Centre of Australia to Chambers Pillar

We left and headed through Finke then north to Chambers Pillar up the Old Ghan Rail Route and despite what we were told found no problems with the road or narrow sections with oncoming vehicles. You have to dodge the odd piece of wood and sleeper nail but other than that no issue's. Finke looked like a different place and i'd never seen so many dumped wrecked and burnt out cars (and prams and strollers). :wink: From what was left of the Finke desert race along the track and camping areas it looks as though it's the Northern Territory's answer to Bathurst and will have to get up there one year to check it out. We started off on the race track but soon got bored of the undulations of the road so switched to the old Ghan Track. It's a scenic drive with a couple of rail sidings (graffitied) and the clouds were starting to come in so we pushed on to set up camp at Chambers Pillar. To our surprise we were the only ones there. There are a couple of gas powered bbq's and 2 drop toilets but if there were a few people there you might struggle for a spot.

Chambers Pillar

Camping Area

Thursday 1st July - Sunday 4th July - Chambers Pillar to Alice Springs

Awake in the morning to drizzle and it's been raining/drizzling most of the night. Pack up the camper in the wet and push off for Alice Springs. The Old Ghan road to Alice would have been great if not for the wet. Now it's slippery and the trailer wants to overtake us alot of the time. Nevertheless it's a bit of fun (even if the wife doesn't think so). We get into Alice Springs with the back of the car and front of the trailer covered in the wet red stuff, get out of the car for a quick photo and i hear the rear drivers tyre deflating. Fantastic! :roll: Just what i need with everything covered in mud and it still raining. Changed the tyre over with the one off the roof (there's no way i'm touching the spare on the back) and get to the caravan park for a beer. We stayed at the Macdonnell ranges caravan park and even though i thought it was a bit pricey, everything was in tip top shape and there was plenty of equipment for the kids to enjoy. The next couple of days in Alice were spent relaxing, catching up on washing and heading to the Alice Springs show which the kids loved.

Welcome to Alice Springs

Alice Spring

Monday 5th July - Tuesday 6th July - Alice Springs to Kings Canyon

We had some fine days in between but when we got to Alice Springs it was raining and when we left it was raining. Monday we left for Kings Canyon and the wife "suggested" :wink: that she would like to stay in a room for the next couple of days until it stopped raining and we could dry out the camper trailer. So that's what we did. I called up the Kings Canyon Resort and the nice gentleman said that the rooms were usually $360 p/night (i nearly ran off the road) but they had a special...2 nights for the price of 1. That's all that was available to fit a family of 4 so i had no choice. It probably wasn't a bad idea because I decided to cut across to the Canyon on the Ernest Giles road. :idea: A dirt road that was 145km shorter than sticking to the tar like all those other "tourists". :lol: Top speed was about 50km/h even though the wheels were doing 100km/h and the dirt had become red mud with water in the floodways. (I later found out that they had closed that road in the afternoon).
    On the Tuesday it was still drizzling but i managed to talk the wife around to doing the Kings Canyon Creek Walk, which had to cross a few running creeks. The weather was freezing (This was the coldest day on record in Alice Springs - The mercury only hit 6.4deg at about 1am in the afternoon) but the kids enjoyed jumping in the puddles. The wife went for a nanna nap in the afternoon to warm up and the kids and I headed out to Kathleen Springs for a look. Nice little spot which i would rate better than the Kings Canyon creek walk. We didn't do the rim walk because of the weather (and the fact that a 6 month pregnant lady probably couldn't have got up the hill).

Ernest Giles Road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69TpX8Asq8

Kings Canyon Creek Walk

Kathleen Springs

Floodway

Wednesday 7th July - Friday 9th July - Kings Canyon to Ayers Rock/The Olga's

Checked out of the kings canyon accomodation and headed to the Rock. Stopped in and had lunch at Curtin Springs on the way then set up camp for 3 nights at the Ayers Rock Resort. Thursday morning i went for a drive early to get a couple of shots of the rock on sunrise and then came back picked up the rest of the family and checked out the Olga's. Friday we explored the rock and came across a few wild camels but was dissapointed as the three days we were there the climb was closed due to forecast rain. A nice spot to camp at the resort with plenty of ammenities but book a week in advance if you want a powered site or you'll end out in the overflow camping area as we did. Being self sufficient power wise it didn't really matter.

Ayers Rock Sunrise

Ayers Rock

Wild Camels

The Olga's

Saturday 10th July - Ayers Rock to Marla

We headed off toward home on the Saturday, dissapointed that i hadn't climbed the rock, but nevertheless we'd had a good time wandering around. The wife at this stage was calculating how many hours it would take to drive straight home, as she'd had enough. We headed to Marla to set up camp in the caravan park behind the servo. Only a little park but the amenities were nice and clean and it was good for an overnight stay.

Sunday 11th July - Marla to Coober Pedy

Today we headed for the painted desert and to take in a few of the sites. We found a nice little watering hole (thanks to the HEMA navigator) and had lunch in the painted desert. Coober Pedy was calling and we stopped in at the Remarkables on the way. Quiet night and a couple of beers with some people we met from WA in Alice Springs.

Painted Desert

Water Hole

Coober Pedy

Monday 12th July - Coober Pedy to Roxby Downs

Slow start this morning and by the time i stopped the wife from buying too many of those coulourful coober pedy rocks it was lunch time. Headed towards Roxby Downs but instead of following the tar down to Pimba and heading North i decided to cut across through Mirikata, Mount Eba and Billa Kalina. The police weren't much help with road conditions but we had a crack anyway. All went good until we lost the track near "The Twins". I managed to find some remnants of a track which ended up bringing us out back were the HEMA thought we should be. The only other issue was a shattered rear window just before the Old Roxby Downs homestead. :evil: (I was only just thinking how well we'd gone without smashing a window!) and nearly getting bogged at the Old homestead due to lack of signs taking us around a bog. Managed to reverse back out of the bog with the trailer and a bit of 100 mile an hour tape held the window in place until i could get it fixed back in Melbourne. The wife wanted to stay in a motel but there was a big shutdown on at the Olympic Dam Mine so powered sites were all that was available.

Shattered

Old Roxby Homestead

Tuesday 13th July - Wednesday 14th July - Roxby Downs to Cranbourne

The wife could smell home and she knew i'd driven from Roxby to Sydney straight in 19 hours previously when i was working at the mine about 10 years ago, but there was no way i was doing it with the kids, they would have gone stir crazy. We ended up driving from Roxby to Mildura where we stayed overnight in a motel and arrived in Cranbourne the next day. She was very pleased to get home and to rest up that 7 month pregnant body in a real bed.

Fuel Figures

Cranbourne to Mildura
    586km @ $1.34per/L - 21.6L/100 (All bitumen sitting on 100-120km/hr)

Mildura to Wilpena
    819km @ $1.44per/L - 19.4L/100 (Mostly bitumen, but taking it easier after Mildura's fuel figures. Included 1 day of dirt driving without the camper in tow)

Wilpena to Marree
    586km @ $1.77per/L - 17.4L/100 (Included 1 day of dirt driving without the camper in tow)

Marree to Oodnadatta
    451km @ $1.88per/L - 15.9L/100 (All dirt tyres deflated sitting around 70-90km/hr)

Oodnadatta to Mt Dare via Dalhousie/Purni Bore
    482km @ $1.92per/L (50L top up at Mt Dare to get to Alice)
    Mt Dare to Alice Springs
    560km @ $1.51per/L - 18.8L/100 (All dirt tyres deflated sitting around 70-90km/hr. One day alot of wheel spinning in mud)

Alice Springs to Yulara
    863km @$1.62per/L - 19.4L/100 (All bitumen except 100-120km/hr except 100km's of wheel spinning in mud to kings Canyon)

Yulara to Marla
    656km @ $1.65 - 20.7L/100 (All tar sitting on 100-130km/hr)

Marla to Roxby Downs
    811km @ $1.50per/L - 20.5L/100 (All bitumen sitting on 100-120km/hr except for 500km's of dirt to Painted Desert/Coober Pedy & Roxby Downs)

Roxby Downs to Mildura
    766km @ $1.34per/L - 20.5L/100 (All bitumen sitting on 100-120km/hr)

Mildura to Cranbourne
    586km @ $1.23per/L - 21.6L/100 (All bitumen sitting on 100-120km/hr)

Problems
    Puncture on drivers side rear tyre in Wilpena Pound Camping Grounds - Plugged Hole
    Puncture on drivers side rear tyre in Alice Springs turning off bitumen - Repaired in Melb
    Leaking valve on front passenger tyre at Coward Springs - Replaced valve
    Shattered back window near Roxby Downs - Fixed in Melb (Glass Insurance)
    Fatigued rock shield on camper - Fixed in Melb
    Missing bolts in Hella Spotlights - Fixed in Melb

Overall the trip was completed with very minor problems and everything went well with the vehicle and camper, with a total distance travelled of just over 7000km's in 25 days. The kids are still talking about where we went and what we saw and hopefully remember it for a long time, because with the baby due late October it might be a while before they can get on a big trip again. Just don't tell the wife the next trip might be to Fraser Island. New borns like sand right?? :wink:

Cheers,
    Mick
    [INDENT][CENTER][SIZE=4][B][URL="http://pradopointgtg.org"][COLOR=#000080]PradoPoint GTG 2014 - [I]Iconic High Country - Victoria[/I][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=3]Big Thanks to Our Sponsors - [/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]ARB 4x4[/COLOR], [COLOR=#800080]Dobinsons Springs and Suspension[/COLOR], BCF, [COLOR=#008080]Terrain Tamer[/COLOR], [COLOR=#696969]ORU[/COLOR], [/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00]Maxtrax[/COLOR], [COLOR=#0000ff]Traxrax[/COLOR], [COLOR=#800080]Brains[/COLOR], [COLOR=#ff0000]Redarc[/COLOR], [COLOR=#008000]Opposite Lock[COLOR=#222222], [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]Kaymar, [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#ffa500]Hema Maps, [/COLOR][COLOR=#ee82ee]pure-sense, [/COLOR][COLOR=#696969]Bushskinz, [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Piranha Offroad [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]High Country 4x4 [/COLOR][COLOR=#222222]& [/COLOR][COLOR=#808080]Century Batteries.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [/INDENT]

Re: Melb to Alice Springs via Oodnadatta Track - June/July 2010

Fantastic report

Brings back a lot of memories as we did the identical trip in September last year just slightly different order.

We did Melbourne, Finders Ranges, Oodnadatta Tk, Dalhousie, Mt Dare, Fink, Lambert's Center, Ayres Rock, Kings Canyon, Mereenie Loop, Palm Valley, Alice, Coober Pedy, Melbourne.

We've got some photos that are identical to yours .

If you go back to the Flinders, make sure you check out Arkaroola, this is a beautiful spot with plenty to do (including the challenging Echo Camp Back Track).

I know what you mean about the Transcontinental in Oodnadatta :wink: I believe they had their food license taken from them a few years ago for below standard hygiene. We also stayed in the caravan park at Oodnadatta behind the Pink Roadhouse and whilst the people that run the roadhouse are very friendly and helpful, I recommend others drive a few km past Oodnadatta and find a nice spot just off the track.

Dalhousie is beautiful and a great place to rejuvenate after the road in. What a shocker!

In the West MacDonnell Ranges, Palm Valley is also a magic spot if you're in the area.

Glad you had a great trip!

Cheers, Sam.
    150 GXL V6 Auto. BFG AT 275/65/R17, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, OME 2" Lift, Firestone Airbags, Dual Batteries, GME UHF, Rhino Sportz Crossrails and Platform Rack, ARB Awning, Redarc Brake Controller, Rear Drawer System, Safari Snorkel, New Toyota Mudflaps, Kaymar 'Wheel on Door' Bracket, ARB Under Vehicle Protection, IPF 900XS Spotties, Allied Hammer Wheels. Disclaimer - I am an ARB employee. [B][URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?17348-Sam-s-150-V6"]Buildup Thread[/URL][/B]

Comment

It's a great report your posted up there Weasel. No sleeping here. I've been through most of the country now and it's truely magnificent. I'm quite envious that you could afford 28 days. How did the twozone perform? You said you had frozen meat packed into the Engel but I'm curious about the twozone section. Did you find the meat in this was thawing out at all?

I havn't been to Burra Gorge but is that also called World's End?

I recall heading over that rough track between Dalhoiuse and Mt dare. I think they call this the short cut track. We had to head back to Dalhouise from Mt Dare and opted to go via Bloods Creek as the road is much more gental on your tires.
      [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
      [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
      [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
      [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

Great pics, great report... thanks for sharing. :wink: 8)
        [B][SIZE=4]ntp
        [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
        [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
        [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Thanks for the comments, it makes all the work and time writing it worth it.
          Hookedon4wding, the original plan was to go to kings canyon via mereenie loop but with the weather I thought it would have taken to long and the wife was over the muddy roads. Like I said, I will get back up there again except that next time I'll keep to the east side of lake eyre and cross the simpson. When I went through the Oodnadatta roadhouse is for sale and the owners are looking at building a better caravan park out near the airport.

Originally posted by schaffer
          How did the twozone perform? You said you had frozen meat packed into the Engel but I'm curious about the twozone section. Did you find the meat in this was thawing out at all?
          I havn't been to Burra Gorge but is that also called World's End?
          Schaffer, all the meat was vac pac'd and pre frozen in my chest freezer in the engel baskets before we left. The twozone we use as a fridge for milk, cheese, beer e.t.c. The thermostat I left at about -4 to -6 which keeps the top section cold without defrosting the bottom. You find that the meat on top in the freezer starts thawing out, especially sausages, but being vac pac'd allows the meat to last over a week if required even if it has been defrosted. If you don't want the sausages yet just pack them lower in the freezer and they don't thaw out.
          Worlds end does ring a bell but Burra Gorge is sign posted on the road in coming from Peterborough and I think worlds end is a tad south.
          [INDENT][CENTER][SIZE=4][B][URL="http://pradopointgtg.org"][COLOR=#000080]PradoPoint GTG 2014 - [I]Iconic High Country - Victoria[/I][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
          [CENTER][SIZE=3]Big Thanks to Our Sponsors - [/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]ARB 4x4[/COLOR], [COLOR=#800080]Dobinsons Springs and Suspension[/COLOR], BCF, [COLOR=#008080]Terrain Tamer[/COLOR], [COLOR=#696969]ORU[/COLOR], [/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00]Maxtrax[/COLOR], [COLOR=#0000ff]Traxrax[/COLOR], [COLOR=#800080]Brains[/COLOR], [COLOR=#ff0000]Redarc[/COLOR], [COLOR=#008000]Opposite Lock[COLOR=#222222], [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]Kaymar, [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#ffa500]Hema Maps, [/COLOR][COLOR=#ee82ee]pure-sense, [/COLOR][COLOR=#696969]Bushskinz, [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Piranha Offroad [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]High Country 4x4 [/COLOR][COLOR=#222222]& [/COLOR][COLOR=#808080]Century Batteries.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
          [/INDENT]

Comment

Great report Mick. For me to, it brings back some good memories.

On our trip to the Kimberley's last year we used a similar path to Alice Springs except for the Dalhousie part. We had planned to stay at Oodnadatta after camping at Coward Springs, but the pub at William Creek got the better of us. Stayed in the campground across the road from the pub and had a great night. Did the drive out to Lake Eyre from William Creek. Well worth it. Once we got to Oodnadatta the next day, we were sure glad we didn't stay there.

johnv

Comment

This is certainly the year to get out and about in the red centre. The amount of rain we've had this year is great and things are beautiful and green.

As I write this I can hear rain pouring down in the Alice :mrgreen:

Comment

Thats a great trip and write up Mick and enjoyed every bit of it. Im hoping to do something similar next year.
                I noticed a couple of people didnt recommend staying at oodnadatta. Any more info?

cheers John :mrgreen:
                2008 GXL Black D4D, 6sp Man. 265/70R17 M/T ATZ4RIB's. MTZ's for play. Kings/EFS 50mm lift. Safari Snorkel. Beaudesert Exhaust, K+N Air Filter. ARB Deluxe bar. GME TX3540. Tekonsha Prodigy . Firestone Airbags. Narva 225's. HID Headlights. Kaymar Spare wheel adaptor.Aero bars. ARB awning. 2010 Jayco OB Swan.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Diamond
                  Thats a great trip and write up Mick and enjoyed every bit of it. Im hoping to do something similar next year.
                  I noticed a couple of people didnt recommend staying at oodnadatta. Any more info?

cheers John :mrgreen:
                  I would stay down the road from Oodnadatta at Algebuckna bridge or the waterhole. That is an amzing place.
                  [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
                  [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
                  [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
                  [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Schaffer
                    I would stay down the road from Oodnadatta at Algebuckna bridge or the waterhole. That is an amzing place.
                    I'd definately agree with Schaffer. Algebuckina bridge looked like a nice place to camp and your by the river. Staying at the "caravan park" it was a bit run down and your packed in close if there's a few in there for the night. It really is just somewhere to sleep and do some washing....if you've got enough money and the machines are working. :wink: It also happened to be Saturday night when we were there which probably explains the extra bit of noise through the night, but come to think of it, it probably doesn't matter what day of the week it is? :lol: I slept through most of it but the wife wasn't too keen on the music, "singing" and hearing people trying to find there way home through the caravan park at 2am. :evil:
                    [/INDENT]

Comment

great write up! well done!

loved the pic of kids & mum in the creek!

Comment

Hey Mick, nice report and nice pics.
                        We started our trip on the 12th July and ended up back on the 13th August. As son as I get a chance I'll attempt a report also.
                        Was a great time to visit the Simpson and ended up with zero issues taking the campers through.
                        Heaps of water, mud, bogs, etc especially from Finke to Mt Dare.
                        Had the 1yr old on this trip and next is due in January so need to plan the next trip too...Fraser sounds like a plan.
                        Chat soon
                        Darren
                        2009 120 Prado D4D TD,Auto. Koni/RidePro coils, polyair rear bags, 2nd set alloys/Cooper STT 265/70/17, safari snorkel, bonnet scoop, kaymar wheel spacer, drawers, scan gauge II, roof console, UHF, Hema gps, Tmax winch/plasma rope, Brown Davis b/plates, LED light bar, Redarc charger, ARB compressor, Tambo Camper, Stainless Exhaust, maxtrax, Stein Chip, ARB 78ltr fridge, ARB Rear locker.

Comment

Excellent trip report, great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                          mencisport.com
                          antalya escort
                          tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                          deneme bonusu veren siteler
                          gaziantep escort
                          gaziantep escort
                          asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                          erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                          atasehir escort tuzla escort
                          sikis sex hatti