Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 37 ... LastLast
    Thanks Serg and John.

I'll have to find a source for those in future.

For now, I've already installed a set of reconditioned ones.
    http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...5-Series-Prado
    glen_ep | 3.4L Prado, engineered, 2-3" sus, 1.5" body lift, 33.5" Bighorns (255/85R16), dual lockers, 4.88 diffs, UCAs and some other boring stuff
    * Build up
    * YouTube Channel
    * Mighty 90s Prado Group (on Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by glen_ep View Post
    Thanks Serg and John.

I'll have to find a source for those in future.

For now, I've already installed a set of reconditioned ones.
    http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...5-Series-Prado
    You can find them in the Milners shop. I saw them when was buying body lift kit.

By the way, by your advice I made a thread where I post some photos and will add more later, you can have a look if you want to ))))

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...os-from-Russia
    Last edited by Serg_49; 27-09-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    There is nothing interesting at the place where asphalt is, but there is no asphalt at the interesting place...
    TLC Prado, 5VZ, 2002, 4" custom suspension(Tough Dog+KYB Monomax) + 1,5' body lift(Milners Kit), Goodyear MTR Kevlar 265/75/16, Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 285/75/16, Winch 9500lbs, Snorkel ...

Hey mate, just got a few questions.

Do you think it would be possible to do a 1" body lift and not have to worry about changing anything to suit it?
    Do you think just an auto-locker in the rear would be fine for 90% of the places you take your Prado?
    How have you found the power of the 5VZ? Plenty for 4WD'ing or sometimes lacking?

Thanks!
    Toyota Prado GXL Kimberly - 95 Series - 3.4L V6

Quote Originally Posted by maulbeagle View Post
    Have heard that the fuel consumption of the petrol engine is horrendous ?
    Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    Heard that a replacement D4D engine is horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by ratsack View Post
    Hey mate, just got a few questions.

Do you think it would be possible to do a 1" body lift and not have to worry about changing anything to suit it?
    Do you think just an auto-locker in the rear would be fine for 90% of the places you take your Prado?
    How have you found the power of the 5VZ? Plenty for 4WD'ing or sometimes lacking?

Thanks!
    Apart from 8x body blocks, the essential mods are the steering spacer and radiator drop. I'd still recommend the rear bump stop extensions to protect the body from damage when carrying heavy loads. Although I haven't heard of fractured bodies, I doubt there's many people that would report it either.

Yes, a rear locker will do in most cases. I rarely use the front and when I do, it's either due to laziness to pick a new line or for a very big step up which could be avoided.

NEVER had an issue with power when offroading, even with stock diff ratios. Highway hills and overtaking is a different story - which can be improved with diff ratios. Check out the following video to see 4 wheels locked up and spinning very easily with very little throttle pressure... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEoEX11MbVc
    glen_ep | 3.4L Prado, engineered, 2-3" sus, 1.5" body lift, 33.5" Bighorns (255/85R16), dual lockers, 4.88 diffs, UCAs and some other boring stuff
    * Build up
    * YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by glen_ep View Post
    Apart from 8x body blocks, the essential mods are the steering spacer and radiator drop. I'd still recommend the rear bump stop extensions to protect the body from damage when carrying heavy loads. Although I haven't heard of fractured bodies, I doubt there's many people that would report it either.
    Thanks for your reply! So even with just a 1" body lift, you still think I'd have to mod the steering spacer and do a radiator drop? Is that all fairly easy? Would it be worth it in your opinion?
    Toyota Prado GXL Kimberly - 95 Series - 3.4L V6

Quote Originally Posted by maulbeagle View Post
    Have heard that the fuel consumption of the petrol engine is horrendous ?
    Quote Originally Posted by amts View Post
    Heard that a replacement D4D engine is horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by ratsack View Post
    Thanks for your reply! So even with just a 1" body lift, you still think I'd have to mod the steering spacer and do a radiator drop? Is that all fairly easy? Would it be worth it in your opinion?
    I've done a 1" body lift and had to fit a steering spacer. I haven't done anything to the rad or fan cowl.
    95 3.0 TD LWB, Bilstein/Kings 2", Alien snorkel, Tunit, K&N filter, SuperPro bushes, GG AT2 265/75, Goodridge stainless brake hoses, Nitrac 8 grooved discs, K4 rock sliders

Steering - As above, required. :-)

Radiator - practically speaking I cannot be certain that adjusting the radiator location is absolutely necessary, but technically speaking, a body lift definitely alters the performance of a cooling system. There's a plastic cowling attached to the radiator, both are lifted with the body lift. However, the cooling fan stays in it's original location, which means the fan is not centered correctly within that cowling. If the fan still fits within the original cowling you'll be fine, but if you have to remove that cowling, the air flow is changed. If you then drive in our hot Australian temperatures you may be putting your radiator and engine to risk (also transmission if an auto).

Rear cargo bump stops - over the weekend I saw another Prado which does not have body lift. On this particular one I could clearly see where the body has occasionally bent down and contacted the chassis. This has finally confirmed for me that, yes, the rear cargo area is designed to flex, but only 5mm. Performing a body lift without extending those stops will risk your body's integrity. I took a photo, will upload this week!

Hey fridayman,
    Will send you a PM soon....
    * Build up
    * YouTube Channel

Photo as promised... this photo clearly indicates that the body's cargo area has flexed downwards causing the rubber stop to contact the chassis. Logic dictates that if a body lift is installed, and this gap is not corrected, than the body's cargo area will flex beyond it's original design and limitations.

* Build up
    * YouTube Channel

Well who would have thought, here begins another round of mods!

First off, starting with the smaller items - an auto transmission cooler. Approx size 280 x 180 mm.

This is routed from transmission --> stock radiator cooler --> oil cooler --> transmission. When installing an aftermarket cooler never remove the original cooler from the cooling process. Make it an addition not a replacement. Excluding the original cooler is likely to result in an overheating transmission and a visit to a transmission overhaul shop.

And some initial stages of protection - a second layer of a much finer material will be added soon:

Despite a rare overheat in the past I didn't think I actually needed the oil cooler, but after taking it for a drive on the weekend I can say it definitely made a difference. The engine temp gauge indicated a reduction of around 10% and the transmission was consistently responding better. In the past I have had an intermittent issue where the transmission wouldn't kick down on hills - hopefully this is the cure.

More to come over the weekend..
    Last edited by glen_ep; 27-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    * Build up
    * YouTube Channel

And the removal begins...

* Build up
    * YouTube Channel

On the last photo above you may notice the engine is cleaner... yes indeed...

I also removed the extractors as the driver side had a minor leak. For what's coming I'll need to ensure everything is sealed perfectly!

tbc...
    * Build up
    * YouTube Channel

I hope there's some huff and puff under that bonnet when all is done Glen!
    Looking forward to it!

Cheers, Ben.

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 37 ... LastLast