Rotors: Slotted vs. Cross Drilled vs. Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotors: Slotted vs. Cross Drilled vs. Standard

This question has been raised in another thread which was really about prices of Bendix pads so I thought I'd move the discussion to a thread of its own.

The context of the discussion centred around a few issues:
    1. the real benefit of aftermarket pads vs. standard OEM;
    2. slotted rotors vs. standard; and
    3. cross drilled rotors vs. standard and slotted.

My experience has shown that slotted / cross drilled rotors on the street provides little gain over a ventilated but solid (smooth) disk. For this reason I believe that apart from looking good these are a waste of cash and that the extra would be better spent replacing warn rotors twice as often.

My experience has also shown that brake pads differ greatly, and that the OEM Prado ones are garbage. They offer no bite and plenty of fade. They are quiet and almost dustless which is a plus but not enough of one that I am prepared to trade off against performance. Afterall brakes are there to work and if they look good then that's a bonus. I sure don't want to be in someones backend, sitting on the kerb as the tow truck is towing my Prado away thinking 'gees my brakes are pretty'

Here's the start of a flyer put out by Repco. It has DBA, Ferodo, PBR, ALcon and Bendix advertisements plastered all over it so I'm assuming they probably vetted the info for accuracy but it doesn's say so I can't be sure. I'd say that this was likely though. It provides an interesting read.

So what is everyones thoughts?

Full article link: http://www.repco.com.au/CA2571B70016384 ... 45-151.pdf

Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    The recent rise in popularity of these discs has raised confusion as to the right products for particular applications.
    As we know, most brake discs have a smooth, flat surface. Holes and slots in the face of the disc have a number of purposes.
    The first is to remove gasses from the face of the disc. Disc pads, when hot, expel gasses. These gasses form a cushion between the face of the disc and the pad, and can greatly reduce the co-efficient of friction.
    It takes a tenth of a second to squeeze these gasses out on normal rotors. This does not sound like a long time - but consider this. When a vehicle is travelling at 100 km/h, it is moving at a rate of 30 metres per second, therefore a tenth of a second is three metres. So when the brakes are applied the vehicle travels for three metres squeezing out gases and not creating friction to slow the vehicle.

Another problem that occurs when the build-up of gasses is not released is that the pad material becomes hardened and glazed, greatly reducing the amount of grip between the pad and disc. Crossdrilling and slotting allow these gasses to be moved immediately, also helping to deglaze the pads, increasing the grip between the pad and the disc, hence shortening the braking distance. Cross-drilling and slotting makes the disc surface uneven so, water and dust cannot develop into a thin layer that becomes a smooth, glass like surface which can greatly reduce the coefficient of friction.
    Cross-drilling and slotting works effectively to reduce the main problems that occur in brake systems. But there are some tradeoffs, such as reducing pad life by approximately 10 per cent (if you’re getting 40,000 km from a set of pads this can be reduced to 36,000 km, though most would agree this is a small price to pay for better braking performance). Also, the cross-drilled rotors are more prone to cracking under extreme conditions, such as racing.
    In normal motoring the slotted-only and cross-drilled and slotted rotors have similar performance qualities.

So the question is: do I fit cross-drilled and slotted discs, or just slotted discs?

This question has to be asked: what is the main purpose of the vehicle? Is the vehicle used for racing or is it just driven extremely hard? Does the vehicle go off road? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, slotted-only discs are the best choice.

If a vehicle is only used on the street, but is occasionally driven hard, and has nice open wheels where the rotors need to look good as well as perform, cross-drilled and slotted rotors are the way to go.
    2009 GXL D4D White Auto - ARB Duluxe Bar - Lightforce 240 Blitz spots - Icom IC440 CB - Bilstein shocks, Lovells 1.5" lift H/Duty coils - Polyairs - Tracklander Alloy roof cage and ladder - Maxtrax - rear work lights - PP Rear-door-table - Underfloor water tank - 275/65/17 BFG AT's - Ranox dual battery system - Rear door spacer - Safari snorkel - Steel sliders - ARB front and rear air lockers - ARB CKMTA12 onboard air compressor...

Re: Rotors: Slotted vs. Cross Drilled vs. Standard

Bankrupt, what is the cold first stop braking like with these pads?

Michael
    2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

I'm fitting DBA slotted and OE pads when mine are due
      [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

good idea making a new thread.

interesting article to read. basically agrees with what you say Bankrupt. but from these quotes
        Cross-drilling and slotting makes the disc surface uneven so, water and dust cannot develop into a thin layer that becomes a smooth, glass like surface which can greatly reduce the coefficient of friction.
        This question has to be asked: what is the main purpose of the vehicle? .......... Does the vehicle go off road? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, slotted-only discs are the best choice.
        those of us that go offroad regularly might benefit from slotted rotors? maybe only a real world back to back test might definitely answer this one...

on a related matter, I got a call on Friday arvo from the guy supplying my slotted rotors saying theyre out of stock. so hes supplying the gold series cross drilled ones at the same price.
        [size=2][color=#00BF40][b]2003 120 GXL V6 auto[/b]. GME TX3440 and AE4703, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib LT265/70R17 plus roadies, Ausguard cargo barrier, BD bash plate, OME lift with Sport shocks. And hopefully more to come, slowly slowly...[/color][/size]

Comment

Originally posted by photoprado
          Bankrupt, what is the cold first stop braking like with these pads?

Michael

Hey Mike

Not sure which pads you are reforring to when you mean "these pads".

If are referring to the OEM pads then they're vague to sart off with, but punch them and they're ok.

If you're referring to Bendix then they're noticably different. We fitted new rotors (stock) and Bendix pads to my brothers VX after his became scary and the difference between his and mine (car is now 3000k old) is massive. My brakes feel like you've just lubed them up!

My bendix pads are on order and should arrive this week, will fit them next weekend and let everyone know the results.
          2009 GXL D4D White Auto - ARB Duluxe Bar - Lightforce 240 Blitz spots - Icom IC440 CB - Bilstein shocks, Lovells 1.5" lift H/Duty coils - Polyairs - Tracklander Alloy roof cage and ladder - Maxtrax - rear work lights - PP Rear-door-table - Underfloor water tank - 275/65/17 BFG AT's - Ranox dual battery system - Rear door spacer - Safari snorkel - Steel sliders - ARB front and rear air lockers - ARB CKMTA12 onboard air compressor...

Comment

Originally posted by WBY 1
            good idea making a new thread.

interesting article to read. basically agrees with what you say Bankrupt. but from these quotes
            Cross-drilling and slotting makes the disc surface uneven so, water and dust cannot develop into a thin layer that becomes a smooth, glass like surface which can greatly reduce the coefficient of friction.
            [quote:2pjn6pzi]This question has to be asked: what is the main purpose of the vehicle? .......... Does the vehicle go off road? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, slotted-only discs are the best choice.
            those of us that go offroad regularly might benefit from slotted rotors? maybe only a real world back to back test might definitely answer this one...

on a related matter, I got a call on Friday arvo from the guy supplying my slotted rotors saying theyre out of stock. so hes supplying the gold series cross drilled ones at the same price.[/quote:2pjn6pzi]

Hey WBY 1

I'm sure you won't have any probs with any of the rotors. I'd still prefer to steer clear of the cross drilled but after thinking about it I must say there is an arguement either way. This is what I've been thinking:

Slotted: Better because the rotor is a stronger unit, has less tendency to warp and they don't suffer the cracking issues.
            Cross drilled: Perform the same as slotted but suffer durability issues. I also think they would suffer greatly from warping if you were to tow a trailer offroad and then decide to do water crossings. The rapid cooling will be devastating. They do however have a benefit for those that go mud driving and that is that there is an increased ability to wash the veins out (in betweeen the two outor faces) this will increase airlflow and provide for better cooling in the long run.

Comment

I would not bother with cross-drilled rotors because they are unable to be machined, or some places may lightly machine them but they do not like doing it because of the holes on the rotors catch on their bits. This means that if any irregularities appear you have to get new rotors as well.

On a previous car I almost had to take out another mortgage to get my brakes done as it had a brembo brake package. Great brakes, looked fantastic through the rims but having to replaced them took the shine off their aesthetics.

Bev
              Bevan
              Former - 04 TD GXL, Now 2010 LC200 TD
              Tassie

Comment

That reminds me of my old Alfa.

It was a 164Q with a great chassis and the fancy brakes and all. Used to go, stop and handle like an Alfa should. Anyway, the brakes were Brembo. When it came to nearly time to replace the discs, my mechanic told me to start saving as the front rotors were $600 each. I took this as a challenge and eventually sourced a full set of Brembo rotors and some trick pads out of the US for the cost of one rotor locally. Mechanic couldn't believe it when I dumped a box on his workbench with the whole lot in it and told him what I paid.

Michael
                2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

My first thought is "Its a bloody 4wd not a race car." When I venture into the great off - road world I tend to refrain from braking as much as possible, allowing the vehicle to coast to a halt (especially in the sand) and use the brakes only when really needed. I also try to employ this technique when driving around town - coast towards the lights, economy style. I have the original discs on my 98 GXL with only one pad change in 10 years after 150,000km.

My second thought is having drilled rotors only provides a place for mud and small stones to get into when off-roading. This would thus defeat the whole purpose of having drilled rotors and quite likely lead to increased wear.

Obviously for you big city dwellers, travelling on your freeways (longitudinally moving carparks) you do a lot more stop/start motoring than us in the bush so you might want to upgrade your brakes to match your driving style.

Methinks Mr Toyota has done a go job with solid discs and ABS. I'd leave it alone. Maybe, you could put some improved pads in if you really wanted. Put the money towards some really useful off road stuff instead.
                  Dave
                  Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                  Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbasher
                    Methinks Mr Toyota has done a go job with solid discs and ABS. I'd leave it alone. Maybe, you could put some improved pads in if you really wanted. Put the money towards some really useful off road stuff instead.
                    I tend to use throttle control rather than brakes however after one or two 100km/h - 0 stops in quick succession on the freeway the third stop is somewhat scary with brake fade.
                    [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

not discounting anyones arguements for or against whatever brake setup (its been interesting to read what other people think ), but I think I might still fit the cross drilled since theyre on their way and see how they go. if they prove to be duds on and offroad then at the very least ill have real world experience and be wiser for next time, and I wont be out of pocket a great deal. its still not a direct comparison but better than nothing. Ill post up my thoughts after installation and after Ive had them for a while.

Originally posted by Bushbasher
                      Obviously for you big city dwellers, travelling on your freeways (longitudinally moving carparks) you do a lot more stop/start motoring than us in the bush so you might want to upgrade your brakes to match your driving style.
                      not to match my driving style... its to match the other maniacs out there :wink:
                      [size=2][color=#00BF40][b]2003 120 GXL V6 auto[/b]. GME TX3440 and AE4703, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib LT265/70R17 plus roadies, Ausguard cargo barrier, BD bash plate, OME lift with Sport shocks. And hopefully more to come, slowly slowly...[/color][/size]

Comment

I have had cross drilled discs on a quite a few cars now as well as slotted rotors. Like Bev I had the B word on one of these and the discs were over $500 ea and pads about the same so I went with DBA slotted rotors and Bendix pads and ended up with a superior package. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the cross drilled discs are noiser when you apply the brakes - there is a deep whoosh sound whenever the brakes are used. It isn't a problem just different and may not be to everyone's taste. This noise isn't there or at least is very subdued with slotted rotors.

I never had a problem with the cross drilled rotors cracking before they were well and truly worn out but I would go for slotted discs as first preference over drilled or smooth discs. The slots let the gases that are generated during braking escape (all that kinetic energy is converted to heat which creates gases as the pads wear). Brilliant.

Michael
                        My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

Originally posted by WBY 1
                          not to match my driving style... its to match the other maniacs out there :wink:

Agreed

Comment

What are people's thoughts on changing both the rotors and pads in the one upgrade? I have heard that if you can avoid it to only change one or the other at any one time.

I realise new cars come out with both news (obviously).

I hope this isn't too far from the topic thread.

I have also seen DBA has released 4x4 rotors - anyone seen or had any experience with them? Maybe just a marketing ploy, or maybe they aren't new at all, isn't just that I have only just noticed them.
                            NOW FOR SALE!!! - 2004 Silver GXL 3lt 4spd Auto - ARB Bullbar, Safari Snorkel, Redarc Dual Battery System, Cooper ST MAXX, Dark Tint, IPF900XS spots, Raised Bilstein/Kings Suspension/Firestone Airbags, Autosafe Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabbers, Rola Roof Rack Stuff, Insect Screen, Dust/Wind Deflectors, Sheepskin/Black Duck Seatcovers, GME TX3510, ARB underbonnet compressor, Allied Hammer Rims, ARB UVP, [url="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18043-Rock-sliders-steel-side-steps"]AJ Sliders[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Madkore
                              I have also seen DBA has released 4x4 rotors - anyone seen or had any experience with them? Maybe just a marketing ploy, or maybe they aren't new at all, isn't just that I have only just noticed them.
                              DBA told me they are the same as the street series slotted, with a special marketing campaign.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti