Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Challenge 'Meridian' off-road Camper Trailer (w/pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Challenge 'Meridian' off-road Camper Trailer (w/pics)

WOO-HOO :!: :!: :!:

I went up the road this arvo for a quick drive to take some photos of a fast approaching storm, and when I returned I was surprised to find my new Challenge 'meridian' off-road camper trailer parked in our driveway. My mate and neighbour (who owns the local camper trailer business) said it arrived today, so he decided to bring it home and drop it off for me rather than leave it in his sales yard. What a surprise!!!

So guess what I've been doing for the past couple of hours? Going over everything on the camper trailer like a kid going through his new pressies at Xmas time.

Will post more details once I've had time to set it up. Can't wait now four our first camping trip in it - will make sure to post a Trip Report. Almost all set now for the PP GTG in the Red Centre. :wink:

:arrow: Here's a few pics for now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :

A happy little camper.

Has 2 x 4.5kg gas bottles and 2 x water tanks (150L total)

Space for 6 x 20L jerry cans (2 on side, 4 at front)

Stainless steel kitchen and sink, gas burner with grill

100amp/hr battery system with in-built chargers and outlets to tent area
    [B][SIZE=4]ntp
    [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
    [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
    [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Re: New Challenge 'Meridian' off-road Camper Trailer

Congratulations on the arrival of your new Baby, NTPRYCE.
    It looks like a very nice unit and I like the colour, what colour is your canvas?
    Iam sure you will be happy with the build quality and features of the Meridian package.
    Another crane driver at work has the Meridian and loves it for his camping and fishing trips, on his
    recommendation we checked out Challenge for our Camper trailer requirements, and where advised to
    speak to the Trailer manufacture workshop - manager Colin Burgon.
    Colin was a great source of info to the ins & outs of camper trailers, not just a salesman.
    Two - Three months later after camping shows and more research, I called a number out of the Trading Post
    to find Colin on the other end of the line was selling his personal on road trailer. The treasurer and I paid Colin
    a visit on the Saturday morning and we were very Impressed with his set up. For a well built and cared for trailer
    and very clean canvas with the added features of the deluxe on road model (benefits of being workshop manager)
    We secured ourselves a great unit and continue to enjoy its features and load carrying ability.
    Tows well behind the Camry wagon and the V6 GXL pulls it like a Truck!
    NTPRYCE what tyre and wheel package did you have fitted to your Meridian?
    SOUTH AUSTRALIA GATEWAY TO THE OUTBACK!
    2003 GXL V6 AUTO 120 CHAMPAGNE MICA [DUNE]
    LIST OF ACCESSORIES GROWING, WISH LIST SLOWLY DECLINING

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
      Congratulations on the arrival of your new Baby, NTPRYCE.
      Thanks mate. I note you have a DUNE coloured Prado too. SNAP!

Finally got to play with the CT a little more and extend the tent. This took no more than 10 minutes to erect (noting it was the first go). With interlocking support bars in place, the tent is very stable even without pegs. We reckon it looks great.

Anyway, here's a few more pics of our new pride and joy with the tent erected:

Note CT has two doors and large midge-proof screen windows all 'round

CT tent extended rear (will add further photos with awning later)

Interior shot facing trailer (will update with step in place once canvas has been wetted)

Queen sized bed with innerspring mattress (note plenty of windows for great airflow)

Canvas colour is deliberately natural - green/beige (and even matches our home). Will discretely blend into the bush when camping.

WIl post some more once I've wetted the canvas and added the awning area (which extends over the kitchen area). :wink: 8)
      [B][SIZE=4]ntp
      [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
      [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
      [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Re: New Challenge 'Meridian' off-road Camper Trailer (w/pics)

Good point Trojan. I'll give it some thought. Cheers. 8)
        [B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

I need to add mudflaps to mine, can you post a pic front and back of how your mudflaps are attached?
          [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Interior has plenty of roof height, even above bed area.

Includes laundry bag (centre of picture). U-shaped zip provides opening to access doorway to camper and 12v power outlets.

Very light and airy once windows opened. Great airflow making it reasonably cool inside despite current Darwin temperature & humidity at the moment.

[B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

Originally posted by D4D
              I need to add mudflaps to mine, can you post a pic front and back of how your mudflaps are attached?
              PM sent mate.
              [B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan
                Just a modification, i personally think it needs right away, and it's something nearly all camper manufactueres are guilty of.

See the support bars for the roof section, get rid of the screw in bits and rivet the tubes into a fixed position.

My reasonings for this. They are fixed and have absolutely no reason to be adjustable, so why have an adjustable point on it. It's frustrating the day they decided to slip a little and you're camper is set up a little crooked.

The other reason, and the bigger concern is those little things are wear points for the canvas when it's packed up and moving about whilst travelling. You won't notice it right away, but in a few years, don't be surprised if you start seeing wear marks in the canvas where those adjuster screws are.
                We used those screw in bits to hang things on - car keys, toiletry bags, LED head lamps etc. Quite useful, IMO.
                And never had problem with them causing wear points even after 10 years and some pretty rugged on and off roading.
                2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
                Ex 2008 Toyota Prado 120 VX, D4D
                Ex 1997 Toyota Prado 90 GXL, V6
                Ex 1988 Mitsubishi Pajero V6
                Ex 1986 Suzuki Sierra

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan
                  Originally posted by rhs58
                  We used those screw in bits to hang things on - car keys, toiletry bags, LED head lamps etc. Quite useful, IMO.
                  And never had problem with them causing wear points even after 10 years and some pretty rugged on and off roading.
                  Whilst it may not happen to all, it does happen.

I base it on the fact my dad used to be in the upholstery/canvas business. Apart from building custom campers, repairs to holes in walls were typically a result of unneccesary parts such as those.
                  I can see that it could and how it could happen.
                  We generally put pole bag, awning, camp chairs and table on top of the folded up canvas, and then a ratchet strap over the lot, then the tonneau cover. Ratchet strap stopped a lot of movement and probably the wearing issue you are writing about.
                  Or maybe we were just lucky!
                  2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
                  Ex 2008 Toyota Prado 120 VX, D4D
                  Ex 1997 Toyota Prado 90 GXL, V6
                  Ex 1988 Mitsubishi Pajero V6
                  Ex 1986 Suzuki Sierra

Comment

Looking good NT, when are you going for a 'test camp'. Make sure to get some shots of the full blown setup.
                    We are still tweaking our with our camper etc with the GTG in mind, theres always something we need. It was my birthday last week and all I got was camping bits and pieces!

PomP
                    2008 Charcoal GXL V6
                    [b]Suspension[/b] >< OME springs and shockers
                    [b]Tyres[/b] >< Pirelli Scorpian ATR
                    [b]Chassis[/b] >< ARB Deluxe Bullbar><Tow bar
                    [b]GPS[/b] >< AVIC HD3>< Ncom G351 running ozi
                    [b]UHF[/b] >< GME3440
                    [b]Accessories[/b] ARB Dual battery system><Rear Camera><Safari Snorkel>
                    [b]Brake Controller[/b] Hayman Reece

Comment

Originally posted by pomp
                      Looking good NT, when are you going for a 'test camp'. Make sure to get some shots of the full blown setup.
                      Thanks PomP. We're planning on giving our new camper a proper test run over the Easter long weekend - just not sure where we will go though. But I'll be sure to post more pics afterwards. The whole family is chomping at the bit to get out and use the camper, especially the kids!

In the meantime, I've got the Prado booked in (this Friday) to have better wiring plus a couple of extra power outlets installed for the fridge and to allow us to charge the camper's battery system while on the move.

I know what you mean about tweaking, etc. I am still running over everything to make sure I know where everything is, how it works, and where I might place things to ensure that I have it set-up perfectly for our outback journey in June just prior to attending the 2009 PP GTG.

I'm also looking at getting a solar kit set-up to go with the camper too. Had originally been thinking about a generator, but have now shifted towards solar.

One of the (many) reasons for getting the Prado was that it a much cheaper overall option than the new Landcruiser. This effectively allowed us to use the saved money (difference in price) to buy the camper trailer and accessorise our Prado exactly as we wanted. And now we are very happy campers indeed! :wink:
                      [B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

Nice purchase NT.

We have had our Meridian for about 4 years now. We up specked it as well. Diffrent tyre wheel combo, extra long tent (4 foot extra), extra wide and long annex, rubberised paint, Heavier canvas (we bought it when in TAS so wanted it heavier) I think its 16oz all round, with the annex either full canvas or full midge.
                        Bedded in nicely. And we have changed a few things since then.

First thing.. DO NOT USE YOUR GARDEN HOSE TO FILL HER UP WITH WATER!!!!!! yes I'm yelling cause everyone has to know this.
                        Get a food grade hose from a camping shop or similar. You may or may not have known this, but if you dont it will save a horrible plastic taste to your water which takes ages to get out... ops: .

It looks like your annex canvas is in a bag. Good value if it is, if not it would pay to get a bag for all your annex canvas. It can then be easily stored under the water proof over all cover and on top of the tent when packed up. It will take up alot of crucial space in the main under bed storage area if left there. Plus on overnight stops you just pull off the cover, pull off the annex bag, and chuck them both under the trailer.

As for the adjustment on the main frame poles... thats a bit odd as mine is made one piece and unadjustable in that area. It still hinges like yours and the only adjustable ones are the spreaders down and across the roof, and the far end verticles. We will have to compare at the GTG to find out why its different now.. might be to get extra height??? but we have plenty so im still not convinced of that. Might just be a cost thing...??

We went to the Perth caravan and camping show and saw their new CAPE YORK alloy camper. I like the new internal fridge slide/ step up to the bed.
                        But also noted the new lockable water covers. Mine are not lockable so might swap them out as I have heard the urban myths of people urinating in them as a laugh.... dont worry bout plastic taste if that ever happened.............. :cry:
                        Garth said a $10K swap over from mine to the CAPE YORK.. Not a bad change over I reckon. Will keep that in mind.
                        We got a new fridge at the show as well, so our old Engel 32Lt will now get a new slide and go in the camper as a freezer.. will be a DIY with pics to post..

As for the quality of Garth Handshins Challenge campers. I cant be happier. And the length makes it tow so well.

Also noted the plastic bag is still on the bed (very comfy bed I might add). That is good to keep in the camper somewhere. Good for if you need to pack up the tent when wet. It just helps protect the mattres untill you can set it up again to dry out properly. We also leave our sleeping bags set up on the bed, (they are the type that zip together, 1 LH 1 RH) And also we chuck the kids bags on the bed during trips, Just saves a bit of set up/ pack up time.
                        1 more thing. We keep the water proof windows under the mattres. Helps keep them handy, but also keeps them flat.

Top stuff. Cant wait to see it at the GTG doing what its built to do....
                        Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
                        W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Comment

Thanks Jeff.

Yes, we are really pleased with the CT and its set-up and quality.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions and advice. In fact, I was actually out sourcing some 'drinking water' grade hosing to go with the camper before we fill it up. So thanks for reinforcing my decision (wife asked why can't we just use the garden hose :roll: ) to buy some 'drinking water' grade hose from Clarks Rubber.

Our annexe canvas and mesh walls came in a top canvas carry bag - so we were happy about that. Like you say, we most likely will keep this on top of the tent once folded before placing the weather cover over top. Fortunately there is plenty of room in the weather cover to allow for this and no doubt keeping our bedding in-situ too. We've also got the LH/RH zip together sleeping bag combo, so will most likely do exactly as you do.

We seriously thought about getting one of the newer designs with the walk-in and fridge slide, but I like the option of being able to move my fridge around as needed. While the walk-in is handy, were still young and capable enough to just use the step-up to get into bed :wink: . As you can see in our photos, our camper came with lockable covers for the two water tanks. I had never thought about the scenario you mentioned with the water tanks :shock: : I'll now be sure to keep them locked when unattended!!!

Got the 2x 4.5kg gas bottles filled today. Only need to fill the water tanks now and we'll be fully self-sufficient (power, gas and water) for our planned first camping trip next weekend. We plan to set off for a couple of nights camping over the Easter long weekend, probably to Litchfield Park as its still warm and there are some good swimming areas nearby to cool off. Will post a report afterwards on how the camper goes. :wink:

I too look forward to catching up at the PP GTG to share some stories and compare the different set-ups. Cheers. 8)
                          [B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

Well, we've been playing around with the CT for a few days now getting to know where everything goes and how everything works. Everything looks good and seems to work fine. So to beat the mad rush this coming week, we went and got the 2x 4.5km gas bottles filled. So now we have power and gas on board - just need to 'add some water' before leaving. :wink:

So after working everything out to our satisfaction, we finally connected the CT up to the Prado to take it for its maiden voyage down the street:

:arrow: Treg properly hooked up - check.
                            :arrow: Safety chain on - check.
                            :arrow: Jockey wheel up - check.
                            :arrow: Electrics plugged in - check.
                            :arrow: All lights work - check.
                            :arrow: Cross check with missus to make sure everything all secured and nothing left hanging or unhooked - check.

All passengers please fasten seatbelts in readiness for departure and we're away. Woo-hoo! I must say I was a little surprised by just how easily it seems to tow - almost can't even notice it following dutifully behind. Seems to track exactly the same as our vehicle, and really stable. Sorry - no pics this time as it was at night.

Also been getting a few little extras together to fully prep the CT in readiness for the Easter long weekend, when we will take it out for real to well and truly christen our new 'Meridian' baby in the bush! The family can't wait. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
                            [B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

Originally posted by jeff s
                              Nice purchase NT.

First thing.. DO NOT USE YOUR GARDEN HOSE TO FILL HER UP WITH WATER!!!!!! yes I'm yelling cause everyone has to know this.
                              Get a food grade hose from a camping shop or similar. You may or may not have known this, but if you dont it will save a horrible plastic taste to your water which takes ages to get out... ops: .
                              I would also add DO NOT buy food grade hose in camping stores, Bunnings were less than half the price ($29 for 20m hose)

PomP
                              2008 Charcoal GXL V6
                              [b]Suspension[/b] >< OME springs and shockers
                              [b]Tyres[/b] >< Pirelli Scorpian ATR
                              [b]Chassis[/b] >< ARB Deluxe Bullbar><Tow bar
                              [b]GPS[/b] >< AVIC HD3>< Ncom G351 running ozi
                              [b]UHF[/b] >< GME3440
                              [b]Accessories[/b] ARB Dual battery system><Rear Camera><Safari Snorkel>
                              [b]Brake Controller[/b] Hayman Reece

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort