Stewy's 08 D4D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewy's 08 D4D

In 2008, I traded in my LowLux on a new 08 GXL D4D 6spd manual.

After much consultation with Nissan and Toyota, and with persuasion from the Mrs.
    The Prado seemed to make a good all-round 4x4 and was the preferred choice.
    My old Hilux was a 2005 V6 4.0ltr SR Manual Dual Cab. It was a great 4x4 vehicle with plenty of load carrying for camping etc.

The Prado on the other hand was more comfortable and had the long range tanks for some serious touring that myself and Mrs were keen to undertake in the near future.

I went from this

To This

So far the add-ons include:-

:arrow: ARB Deluxe Winch Bar with IPF Fog Lights
    :arrow: IPF 900XS Spots (converted to HID)
    :arrow: Navman N40i GPS
    :arrow: UHF GME 3400TX for communications
    :arrow: Safari Snorkel
    :arrow: Colour Coded Hard Cover for the spare
    :arrow: Typhoon twin cylinder air compressor
    :arrow: Rust Proofing
    :arrow: Electronic Rust Protection
    :arrow: Hot wired 50amp Anderson Plug fuzzed at 10amps to run external lights etc.
    :arrow: Factory tow bar

In the future, I’ll fit a few more accessories just to make things a bit comfortable and to enhance the cars 4x4 capabilities off-road.

:arrow: Cargo Drawers
    :arrow: Upgrade the suspension
    :arrow: Beefier AT Rubber
    :arrow: AGM Auxiliary Battery
    :arrow: Ranox charging system
    :arrow: Fridge/Freezer
    :arrow: Rhino roof cross bars
    :arrow: Rhino Rack
    :arrow: Pullout roof awning

UHF Install

The first option to fit after I picked it up was to install the old GME UHF 3400 radio from the Hilux.
    It took a while to run the coax and cables, mount the antenna etc. But I finally settled on a spot below the CD/Radio. The area marked in the red box is where it lives.
    I had to remove most of the dash to fit it, but it now real tight in there and aint moving. The speaker is very audible when driving.
    As seen below.

You can also see where I mounted the remote face and mic holder. All of this was secured without drilling any new holes.
    I just used the vehicles existing switch blanks, some double sided tape here and there and zip ties.
    The mic holder is screwed into place but the screws locate to some thin metal plate behind the plastic trim.
    This way I can remove the hole thing, put the blank switch back in, and you wouldn't even know anything was there.

As I usually only hold onto cars for 3-4yrs, I may want to remove the accessories I’ve fitted in the future.
    Dealers don't like the look of drilled holes in trim etc and will affect the tradein value.

50amp Anderson Plug Install

The next thing to do was add an Anderson Plug to the rear.
    Its a 50amp hot connection straight to the battery. I’ve fuzzed it at 10amps as its only to run the air mattress pump, lights etc.
    The whole thing runs through the chassis rails and is protected PVC tape, split tubing, and sealed with silicon.

IPF900XS Install with HID Mod

I purchased a pair of IPF900 XS Spots and wired them up with the Loom kit provided.
    After having them for 2 months I decided to modify them to HID.
    I wasn’t concerned with heat etc from the HID’s as the IPF are a very strong and well built light.
    My only concern was with reliability after the conversion. I discussed the HID kits available with fellow PP member CRAMMY.
    After looking at his install it all seemed very easy. And it was very simple! Below are the pics for converting the Halogens to HID.

Bought the kit off e-bay and landed it hear in Oz for about $150 which included the extra silicon high voltage cables.
    You need longer cables because the Ballasts are under the bonnet and the lights on the Bullbar.

The only difficulty I had was getting the cables to the back of the light casing. I didn’t want to cut the wires like Crammy did,
    so I removed the grommet and filed the casing a liitle to create a larger hole to feed the wire connectors through.

After fitting the new grommet in place, I sealed it with silicon.

Now it’s ready for install

To fit the Ballasts I decided to make up a metal bracket and secured the ballasts to it and mounted it to the area where a second battery could go.
    I didn’t drill any holes, but just used the existing threaded holes. I’ve used all stainless steel bolts and washes.

I’ve tested them and am pleased with the result. Well worth the $150 spent.
    I’ve used them on an off over the last 4 months and they still seem to be reliable as ever.

Below are shots of HID in action over the standard IPF Halogens

Picked a clear road as seen here in daylight.

The distance to the T intersection at the end of the road is just over 400mtrs
    Here is the same pic done earlier with the standard IPF 900XS Halogens

Now the same photo in HID

Headliner Rattle Fix

I had an annoying rattle at times from around the Sunglass Holder/ Map lights.
    I’d press on it and the noise would go away for while, but then return.
    To finally fix it, I removed the Holder as seen. Just pull down and it will pop out

I bought an off cut of foam from Clark Rubber for $3, cut out small pieces around 10x15cm and folded it up into place all around the headliner cavity.

Lastly, I stuck some thick spongy rubber onto the back where the map lights are. This will press up against the metal bracket to take out any rattles that could be coming from here also.

Just make sure not to use foam directly near the lights bulbs and connections.
    I think the foam I packed into the front cavity at the headlining of the windscreen fix was the real fix.

Cargo Drawers Install and build

Dec 2008 / Jan 2009
    Cargo drawers are still to be made. I picked up these T Locks and 90kg slides.
    The Slides are 700mm to 1420mm and heavy duty. All to do now is assemble and carpet it.
    Should have it ready for the 2009 GTG.

Feb 2009 - picks still to post

With the final plans almost finished for overall design. I descided to pull my finger out and do some work over the weekend.
    So far I've managed to put the base frame together. After mesasuring and re-measuring, this is what I've come up with so far.
    The total depth is 1000mm and 1050mm wide. The draw cavity is 320mm high. I've tried to utilise all the available space for deeper draws.
    All to now is put the top on and incorporate the fridge slide into the top lid.
    I'll also be installing a pull out table into base, and using it for quick food preparation.

Landcruiser Park – 09 New Years Day

Spent 4 days over the New Years break at Landcruiser Park

Check out the rear flex

Also thought you might find this interesting. On new years day we recovered an 04 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Diesel from the location named
    "Head of Brisbane River" at Landcruiser Park.
    I watched in dismay as this fellow drove straight in without checking the depth.

It turns out he was travelling alone and was a real novice. (never 4wheeled before)

:arrow: The big fella in Black is the Submarine Captain

The Diesel took and absolute gob full of water.
    After we recovered it we then drained the fuel from the filter and re-primed with fresh fuel.
    The filter box was soaking wet and full of brackish water.
    We tried to start it but the motor wouldn’t even try to turn.

Later we found that the vehicle was written off by his insurer from water and electrical damage.
    The fellow had owned it for only 2 weeks and was his first time out. It was $30k well spent.
    Stewy
    [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]"I need to change my avatar to an FJ"[/COLOR][/B]
    [I][B]I don' get stuck,....but I'll borrow your [COLOR="orange"]Maxtrax[/COLOR] anyway![/B][/I]
    [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?14024-Stewy-s-08-D4D"]My Build up, and still going[/URL]
    [B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStewys]My YouTube Channel[/URL][/B]

Re: Stewy's 08 D4D

TOP STUFF...

great write up and pics mate...good one.

joey
    Featured - issue 140 Australian 4wd Action.
    -issue 52 Modified 4wds .
    Locked ,Lifted, boosted Brut---"Pradzilla".
    [IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bigfryy/_0481154045-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Awesome work Stewy!

She's coming along very nicely. The HID's turned out a treat!

Looking forward to seeing the next round of mods!!

Crammy
      2008 GXL M6 D4D, Silver
      Build Up---> [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2315[/url]

[b]{[/b]ATS Ridepro/Bilstein Lift[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Dual Batteries with RanOx Battery Booster[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]600w Projecta 240v Inverter[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Dunlop AT3's / MT MTZ's on Speedy Grande Rims[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]ARB Deluxe Winch Bar[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]IPF900XS Spotties - Converted to 50w 4300k HID[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]35w H4-3 4300k HID Hi-Lo Conversion[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]ARB Underbonnet Compressor[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]GME TX3440[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]T-Max 10,000lb winch[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Safari Snorkel[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Milford Cargo Barrier[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Rhino HD Roofies & AT1410 Roof Tray[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]60L Waeco[b]}[/b]
      [img]http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Transportation/Cars/4_wheel_drive.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the support Joey and Crammy.
        These silver Prado are quite popular aren't they.
        All it needs now is a bit more lift, and I'll be happier.
        As both of you are aware, all these things are a work in progress and it always comes back to time and money.
        Am still waiting on the other Spot lens from ARB. The spread lens just doesn't cut it. I wish I never went for the combo.
        I wasn't happy with it either when the Hallogens were in there. I thought that the HIDs might have helped with illunination a bit on the Spread lens.
        Should be getting a call from them soon so both lights will then be spots.

Will talk again soon.

Cheers
        Stewy
        [I][B]I don' get stuck,....but I'll borrow your [COLOR="orange"]Maxtrax[/COLOR] anyway![/B][/I]
        [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?14024-Stewy-s-08-D4D"]My Build up, and still going[/URL]

Comment

Brilliant build-up thread here Stewy. :wink:

Man, I hope that is a black lab and not a Croc that is swimming just to the right of the woman in this pic :shock:

[B][SIZE=4]ntp
          [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
          [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
          [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

No croc's this far south. The dog is Jet. She was paddling out to take a look aswell.
            I'm the helpful one looking for recovery points under the backend.
            The other two are my inlaws helping out to look for the best way to recover this clown, and my Mrs has the camera.
            I think the guy was in shock, he didn't want to get out initially. Nor did he know what equipment he had on the Patrol in the way of recovery points.

Cheers
            Stewy

Comment

Hey Stewy
              did the headliner vibration fix with a dollar's worth of foam from Clark Rubber.
              Done and dusted.
              Ubloodybewdy!
              Ron
              2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
              Ex 2008 Toyota Prado 120 VX, D4D
              Ex 1997 Toyota Prado 90 GXL, V6
              Ex 1988 Mitsubishi Pajero V6
              Ex 1986 Suzuki Sierra

Comment

Absolutely its fixed, the intermittent rattle is gone.
                As I said earlier. I think it was some sort of vibration coming from the front where the headlining meets the windscreen.
                I didn't expect it to be from there, as I only heard it from around the map lights and the back of the sunglass holder.
                I packed the cavity with a fair bit of foam, but there doesn't appear to be any extra pressure being exerted on the headlining.
                It worked for me.

One of the cheapest fixes I reckon, apart from changing a light globe

Regards

Stew

Originally posted by rhs58
                Hey Stewy
                did the headliner vibration fix with a dollar's worth of foam from Clark Rubber.
                Done and dusted.
                Ubloodybewdy!
                Ron
                Stewy

Comment

Bloody good write up mate - super stuff.

How hard was it to run the anderson plug cable up the chassis rail? Was considering this and got talked out of it, but would prefer to keep it outside if possible...
                  June 2008 D4D 6sp Manual GXL. Toyota bull bar, Custom Leather, Piranha Duel Battery, Bridgestone D694s, IPF 900XS, ScanguageII, front radiator bash plate and Uniden UHF

Comment

Originally posted by metro09
                    Bloody good write up mate - super stuff.

How hard was it to run the anderson plug cable up the chassis rail? Was considering this and got talked out of it, but would prefer to keep it outside if possible...
                    How hard was it to run the anderson plug cable up the chassis rail? Was considering this and got talked out of it, but would prefer to keep it outside if possible...[/quote]

Thanks for the Feedback. I could have run the wire along the outside but I couldn't get my hands into all the tight spots. The electronic rust wiring was done this way, so I just followed the same idea. A couple of hours and a few cans is all it took to complete.
                    I did have some fun running the wire. Believe me when I say it was more difficult feeding the wire into the split tubing.
                    Once the split tubing part was sorted I began at the back and fed it all up behind the rear bar bumper then along and into a chassis hole.
                    I had to feed it along for a bit, then out, pull it along, back into the same hole, feed it, then out, pull it. You get the picture.

Eventually it all came out just up inside the engine bay then straight to the battery. I fuzzed it at 10amps as close to the battery as possible. A 5 amp fuze would have been suffice, as I only run an 11watt fluro when camping. I did all this because I hate leaving my keys in the ignition and I don't like leaving my windows down or doors open as bugs and creepy crawlys seem to find there way into all sorts of places. While I could close the doors when using the inside sockets I get paranoid that the car may lock itself with my keys in the ignition. I also made an anderson cigarette female socket adapter as my Coleman Matress Pump uses a male cigarrete socket. See below for pics.

Cheers, regards

Stew

Stewy

Comment

Hi Stewy,

Nice work so far on your buildup.

I have done the 50 watt HID conversion on my IPF's too,
                      and I found when I was away from the long straight roads and in the twisty bits that the spread beam came into its own.

Although it was very obvious that the HID bulb upset the focus of the light/lens, perhaps different brands of bulb sit differently.

Be good to see how 2 spots work for you.

Lee
                      '18 VX, Billies with Dobinson springs, Summit bar with Narva Enhanced Optics to help my old eyes

Comment

bit of a tip, works for me anyway.

when running cable up chasis rails, trailer chasis ect.
                        get that strip of yellow plactic, that hold floor sheets together, its about 2400 long and rigid.
                        join 2 together if needed, then tape the cable to an end, then poke it up the chasis rails.

nice car btw, i would have had a chuckle at pulling that datsun oouta the water too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        1st 2005 V6 auto in white.
                        2nd 2008 D4D auto in charcoal
                        3rd 2014 D4D auto in white

Comment

Nice write up Stewy.
                          I have done the Anderson plug thingy the same way as your, run it thru the inside of the chassis rails - hidden from harms way I suppose.

When fitting HID kits you can actually remove those adaptors, don't have to cut the cable. There is a little gromet inside which you pull out with a "watch makers" screw driver (those small screw drivers). Put a bit of WD40 and it just comes off. The gromets are normally the same colour as you get on the outside (yellow).
                          Cheers,
                          Dustie

Self confessed PP addict!! hmm.. now thats not a bad habit is it......

Comment

Beauty Stewy - you are a legend. I recon I am going to go this way as well now due to your tips! Cheers.

Good idea with the anderson plug / cigarette converter also. Thats thinking!

[quote="lippa"]bit of a tip, works for me anyway.

when running cable up chasis rails, trailer chasis ect.
                            get that strip of yellow plactic, that hold floor sheets together, its about 2400 long and rigid.
                            quote]

I happen to have some of this too! So no excuses now!
                            June 2008 D4D 6sp Manual GXL. Toyota bull bar, Custom Leather, Piranha Duel Battery, Bridgestone D694s, IPF 900XS, ScanguageII, front radiator bash plate and Uniden UHF

Comment

:arrow: Lifted

My latest mod on the wish list was to give the Prado a bit more in the height department.
                              I've still retained the standard wheels at this stage. Hopefully a larger set oft tyres will come in due course.
                              The Mrs wouldn't let me do the real thing yet, so Photoshop will have to do.
                              This I spose is how it could look.

If Toyota adopted the idea as an option pack for suspension, I wonder how many they'd sell?

Stewy

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti