Comprehensive Insurance Coverage for Prado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehensive Insurance Coverage for Prado

Hi guys/gals. I've ordered and awaiting delivery of my new D4D GXL Auto. I am actively investigating Comprehensive Insurance for 4WDing as the policies generally do not cover 4WDing on non public roads/beach etc.

As I want to actively do regular 4WDing in both bush and sand environments, I want to be covered should a mishap occur.

Can anyone put me in the direction of a good comprehensively coverage to suit my 4WD requirements as I don't want to be left thousands of $$$ out of pocket should an event occur.

Gordon
    SSSHHHH be very very quiet were huntin wabbits.

I"m about to do a review of mine but at the time i was told multiple times, and confirmed by supervisor, and had a note added to my policy with AAMI, that if i was allowed to be there i was covered. that included national parks if i had permits and frazer/bribie on the beaches..

i rang about 3 times talking to different people to make sure i wasn't being told furfies by someone who was just trying to sell the policy.

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Great topic! One that affects 99.99% of Prado owners. The remaining .01% are either too rich or too stupid.

Back when I was ordering my Prado, I contacted NRMA. They told me that as long as the track was marked on a map as a 4WD destination, then I would be covered. RACQ insurance gave me the same story. I'm yet to pick up my Prado, so I will be revisiting this in less than 31 sleeps!

There is likely to be plenty of fine-print that I haven't read yet.

It would be helpful to hear about experiences from those who have made a claim for some 4WD mishap. Did it go through smoothly? Has anyone ever had a 4WD claim rejected and for what reason?

Cheers,
      LFaR.
      [size=1][color=#770000]29Feb12:[/color][color=#777700]12GXLTD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch bar, WARN 9.5xp Winch, IPF 900XS, Tow, Safari snorkel, Front + Rear Recovery points, ARB OME NC Sports, ATZ-4Rib[/color][color=grey], Silver[/color]. [color=orange][b]MaxTrax[/b][/color], [color=maroon]ScanGuage II[/color], [color=blue]ARB CKMA12[/color], [color=deeppink]UHF: GME TX3440 AE4018K1 UNH047SX[/color], [color=darkgreen]Bushranger Air Jack[/color], [color=green]Staun + ARB Deflators[/color], [color=brown]WindCheetah Roof Rack[/color], [color=green]Foxwing[/color], [color=red]Super Charge MRV70, Redarc BCDC1220[/color], [color=darkblue]ARB 60L fridge[/color], [color=blue]MSA Fridge Dropdown slide[/color], [color=darkyellow]DRIFTA Drawers[/color], [color=gold]TJM Bash Plates[/color], [color=brown]TG150[/color].[/size]

Comment

Originally posted by McBAIN
        I"m about to do a review of mine but at the time i was told multiple times, and confirmed by supervisor, and had a note added to my policy with AAMI, that if i was allowed to be there i was covered. that included national parks if i had permits and frazer/bribie on the beaches..

i rang about 3 times talking to different people to make sure i wasn't being told furfies by someone who was just trying to sell the policy.
        I hate it when you get different stories from the same company.
        I ran AAMI a couple of months ago(I was with them) as I was going to be going down some beaches to check and ended up with a supervisor, who spent about 20 minutes checking it all out and then said that I would not be covered on the beach, just marked roads/tracks on a map.
        I guess if you have it in writing, you should be fine though

If you want to be 100% sure and also get covered for all accessories and mods and camping stuff, two to check out are DGA insurance brokers and TCIS insurance brokers. Both provide this sort of cover
        December 2007 Prado GXL diesel, Option Pack with traction control, rear airconditioning and curtain airbags. Lovells Springs and Bilstiens shocks, snorkel, front recovery points,
        ARB Bar with fog lights, ARB second battery system, sandgrabber mats, Pirelli ATR Tyres,

Comment

I'm with RAC (WA) and covered if the vehicle is legally allowed to be driven in the location. ie if the beach is open to 4WDs then I'm covered, if 4WDs are not allowed on the that beach then I'm not covered.
          Leachy
          EX-Prado Owner

Comment

Phone calls are fine for an initial query but get it in writing from them. You will find many are not prepared to do that.
            I go through TCIS who have an excellent policy well worded to cover all 4x4 conditions you might get yourself into. For example, some companies consider the hightide mark as the edge of Australia & therefore can refuse to pay if you get bogged & the tide comes in. The QBE policy was pretty good too.

Declaration: Although I have no affiliation with TCIS other than being insured with them, I used to be the State Insurance Officer for the WA 4WDA which promoted them. It was an unpaid job, I got no kickbacks & I still think the policy is good but thought I would declare a past interest just in case anyone thought I had some form of agenda here.
            White '04 GXL Auto with
            Breadboard wheel spacer (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Hilux Washer jets (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Bosch Wipers (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Polaris GPS/Camera/DVD (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Glovebox baskets (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Fire Extinguisher (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Recovery points (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Flip out key replacement (as recommended in Pradopoint)
            Bilsteins (as recommended in Pradopoint)

Comment

It would be helpful to hear about experiences from those who have made a claim for some 4WD mishap. Did it go through smoothly? Has anyone ever had a 4WD claim rejected and for what reason?
              This particular quote by LFaR hits the point exactly. Should anyone of us decide to take a detour of any road, or hit Toyota Landcruiser 4WD Park, or hit the beach and the dunes, or Moreton Island etc etc, then we all need to be covered.

What experiences have YOU had in regard to insurance claims in the past. It would be beneficial if you could explain where you were and what the incident was and the reported outcome. Some pictures would also be great should you have any sitting around.

I think this is looking like a topic that is in need of some detailed research especially, God Forbid, if we have to place an insurance claim.

Gordon
              SSSHHHH be very very quiet were huntin wabbits.

Comment

My 2cents

Arh the insurance question !

I've had multiple 4wds from stock to heavily modified vehicles insured for the last 20 odd years with a numerous companies such as NRMA, shannons and TCIS.

If your vehicle is heavily modified or accessorised or you are doing a big trip, check out TCIS, but you will pay for the extra cover including the brokerage and club membership.

I had a claim with TCIS that took a long time to pay, which involved the repairer sending a number of Very late payment request. Recently I've had premium claims with NRMA in remote areas and the service has been outstanding. NRMA has been pretty good over the last few years.

No matter who is insuring your vehicle the major investigation points of any off road claim is "why were you there", "were you legally allowed to be there", "was your vehicle 'equiped' to be there" and "did you really need to go the way you did if there was an easier route". There is also the dumba#se factor- i.e. were you being a dumba#se. If you answer any of these in a response that the company does not agree with, you may lose your claim.

Most off road claims are driveable, so you need to get some picts for the claim. If the picts are in your best interest you can use them to assist your claim.

Originally NRMA would only cover your vehicle on roads marked on their maps, but if you've ever used their maps outside the CBD you would know how bad some of the roads can get or if they even exist. Hence they updated many of their maps in the late 90s and as far as I know will only insure your vehicle on gazetted public access roads which includes 4wd approved beach access above the high water level and Private property access roads. Other private property claims are dealt with on a claim by claim basis. River crossing, snow/ice driving is also a touching point.

TCIS has an excellent vehicle recovery service if you get stuck any where. Where as NRMA will only recover your vehicle if they can get to your vehicle without to much effort, other wise your on your own.

Regarding off road parks or race tracks most insurance companies WILL
                NOT insure your vehicle on a standard policy as you will not be driving the vehicle in a normal manner.

If some one wants to do all the running around a substantial group or club discount can be organised with the insurance companies. From memory the only provision was if the club organised a trip to tassie to break up the group while going on the ferry in case it sunk.

Comment

I use Vero they cover everywhere your allowed to be and were a good $400.00 cheaper than the more popular insurers
                  Cheers Moto
                  2007 Grande crystal pearl D4D auto

Comment

These guys have an excellent 4wd policy http://www.affinityrp.com.au/ and I will be using them to insure the Prado. They cover all accessories, camping gear etc. That said I am yet to make a claim so can't comment on that.

Only issue I have had is having to get my mav revalued every year for the agreed value. Mav is worth $7K but the accessories are over $20K :shock:
                    [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Some more info here on insrance. http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php ... ce&start=0

Comment

Comprehensive Insurance Policies

Hi all.

I've worked in the Insurance industry for nearly 20 years, including working in Motor Vehicle underwriting/claims for GIO, Suncorp, Fortis, and for a software company that generates quotes for Allianz, Ansvar, Vero, QBE, RACQ, and Suncorp.

I havent specifically looked at every insurance company's policies, but I do not know of any policy which would exclude off-roading/4wd'ing.

What you need to look at in the Policy Disclosure Statement (PDS)/Policy Wording is the section for What is Covered, and the section for What is Excluded.

Most PDS's nowadays are written in 'Plain English', so it is pretty straight forward as to what is covered. And if anything is ambiguous, the legislation (Insurance Contracts Act, if I remember correctly) states that in the case of an ambiguity, the meaning then falls on the side of benefiting the client, not the insurer.

AAMI was mentioned earlier, so I'll use them as an example. Here are the relevant extracts from their policy:

The protection

We will pay for any accidental loss, damage and liability for property damage covered by your AAMI policy occurring during the period of cover.

This policy does not cover some events, circumstances and situations

As you read through this policy, you will see there are some events, circumstances and situations it does not cover. To make sure you are aware of all these exclusions, please read the whole policy carefully including the section ‘Are you covered?’ beginning on page 3 .

Are you covered?

If the driver of your car was not licensed or authorised to drive it.
                        NO

But your car was being driven without your consent.
                        YES

If your car was in an unroadworthy or unsafe condition that
                        contributed to the accident being a condition that was known to
                        and disregarded by you.
                        NO

If your car was carrying more passengers or loaded above
                        the legal limit or loaded in an illegal way.
                        NO

If your car was being used or tested in or for a race, trial,
                        test or contest.
                        NO

If your car was being used on a competition circuit, course
                        or arena.
                        NO

If your car was outside Australia.
                        NO

If your car was converted, altered or modified from
                        its maker’s specifications.
                        NO

But we have provided you with written agreement
                        to the modification.
                        YES

Mechanical, structural, electrical, electronic or other failure
                        or breakdown.
                        NO
                        So, the main points to note:

You are covered for 'any accidental loss, damage, or liability to property'.

That means ANY accidental loss, damage etc unless specifically excluded in the PDS or your Insurance Certificate.

You are not covered outside of Australia.

That leaves everywhere INSIDE Australia covered.

You are not covered if using the car in a race, trial, test or contest, or on a competition circuit, course or arena.

OK, everywhere inside Australia EXCEPT for these places.

There is no mention that the vehicle must be on a gazetted or public road, a road or trail marked on a map, or anything like that. In fact, it would almost be pointless for an insurance company to do this, as then you wouldnt be covered in your own driveway, or on your front lawn if you parked the car there, etc. They'd then have to specifically allow property you own, property you rent, property you are invited on - in fact, 'property you are legally allowed to be on' - which is pretty much what they all do now anyway.

Strangely enough, AAMI do not have the normal exclusion stating that you are not covered if the vehicle is being used in an illegal way or for an illegal purpose (such as as a getaway car for a bank robbery). This exclusion, if it was there, could come into effect if you were driving on property that you weren't supposed to (such as 'No Driving on this Beach').

NRMA was also mentioned, so I checked out their Comprehensive PDS. Pretty much the same as above, with the following additions:

Not covered if:

Your vehicle was being driven or was attached to a vehicle being driven in a manner which resulted in a deliberate exposure to any wilful or reckless act, or exceptional danger
                        This is the one that we have to be careful with - if you are being as safe and sane as possible with our off-roading, no problems, but if you are hooning about in the bush with no regard to danger, your claim might be denied. But then, the same applies to on-road driving as well.

Also:

Your vehicle must be
                        • registered for use on a public road, or
                        • in a condition that complies with registration requirements in your state or territory
                        Note that it says it must be registered for use on a public road, not 'must be on a public road'.

There is no further mention in the NRMA PDS about gazetted/public roads or roads on maps.

I've also quickly looked at the QBE and Allianz PDS's, and off-roading is not excluded in either of them.

If a person from an insurance company advises you that off-road/4wd'ing is not covered on their policy, ask for a copy of their PDS (you can download them from most Insurance companies' sites) and also ask them to point out the specific sections that exclude this activity.

Have fun!

Sleekr

Comment

Originally posted by LiveFreeAndRoam
                          Hi Gordon,

Great topic! One that affects 99.99% of Prado owners. The remaining .01% are either too rich or too stupid.

Back when I was ordering my Prado, I contacted NRMA. They told me that as long as the track was marked on a map as a 4WD destination, then I would be covered. RACQ insurance gave me the same story. I'm yet to pick up my Prado, so I will be revisiting this in less than 31 sleeps!

There is likely to be plenty of fine-print that I haven't read yet.

Cheers,
                          LFaR.
                          I am insured with NRMA previous 4by now the prado. They told me as long as you are not participating in any form of racing, hillclimbs, events like Nissan trials etc you are covered. I said to them so if Im on Stockton beach (quit often) or 4wdriving on say private property and rolled it etc am I covered and they said yes. Rang a few times as often you get different answers with them and they all said the same thing. Steve
                          Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

Comment

Most standard insurance companies like RACV, NRMA, AAMI cover the car
                            on gasetted roads only....

My car is insured with CGU via DGA Insurance brokers, which covers a
                            car anywhere in Australia
                            Special features of this policy:

Cover for imported 4x4s
                            Australia-wide coverage for drivers 25 and over
                            No exclusions for modifications
                            A new vehicle if yours is written off in a collision within two years of manufacture (before 30,000 kilometres)
                            Emergency repairs after a collision or theft
                            Temporary accommodation if your vehicle is disabled or stolen more than 100 kilometres from home
                            Cover for damage to a towed trailer
                            Cover for personal belongings, portable refrigerators and camping equipment
                            The cost of hiring a vehicle (for up to 14 days) if your vehicle is stolen
                            Windscreen claims do not affect your No Claim Bonus
                            Faultless No Claim Bonus and Faultless Excess
                            Protected maximum No Claim Bonus after two years claims free with CGU Insurance
                            $10,000,000 legal liability for Property Damage
                            Pay by the month premiums available at no extra cost
                            Full off road cover anywhere in Australia
                            No limit on the amount of accessories fitted
                            Standard excess applies to off road accidents
                            Low kilometres option
                            Nominated driver option
                            Choose your own repairer

http://www.dgainsurance.com.au/4wd.htm
                            [color=blue][url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?12128-2004-120-GXL-V6-Petrol-Buildup-*Warning-Picture-Heavy!*&highlight=picture+heavy][b]My Prado Buildiup Since 2004[/b][/url][/color]
                            [b]2004 120 GXL V6 4sp Auto D694 LTs and MTRs with Kevlar (best of both worlds )[/b]

[url=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/lc120man/prado][img]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/48063.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Im with CGU too , it was the cheapest by a mile as well . I was always a shannons insurance man as i had high performance cars but they were double the CGU premium for the prado .
                              BTW calling CGU direct was more expensive than going through a broker :!: :!: :?:

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti