Thread: Removing the factory stereo

Removing the factory stereo

Does anyone have an idea as to how to remove the standard factory stereo? Unlike German cars, the unit does not have small indents that would allow you to insert a tool to remove the unit. I have the standard CD/Cassette stereo, which is obvioulsy a poor choice. I am very keen on replacing this with a proper stereo or a DVD player with a large screen. Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

with most toyotas you have to remove the center section of the dashboard.

then a mounting bracket will be screwed into the dash, and the stereo screwed into that.

i am glad its not like the euro ones.. it makes it harder to be quickly nicked..
    2004 GXL V6 5 speed auto. Cooper STTs, 40mm Lift, Scanguage II, Flyer batterybox, GME3400 UHF, Engel 40L, Safari Snorkel, IPF Xeon Headlight upgrade, Milford Cargo Barrier.
    http://users.on.net/matthewv/4wd/prado.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    i am glad its not like the euro ones.. it makes it harder to be quickly nicked..
    :lol: :lol:

Gidday Baz,

When I fitted an electric brake controller to the ashtray opening, I had to remove quite a bit of the trim to get to it.

You'll need to remove the 2 centre air vents, whick means loosening or removing all the centre console and bin to get them out. There must be an easier way because the dealer replaced my stereo in just over an hour.

But like Matt wrote, the unit and frame assembly is held in with a few screws.

Good luck
    I remember when sex was safe, and flying was dangerous!

Still no clue where to start :twisted: No apparent scrws anywhere on this vehicle, should I start pulling at things in the hope that something will come loose and provide me with a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by BAZPRADO
    Still no clue where to start :twisted: No apparent scrws anywhere on this vehicle, should I start pulling at things in the hope that something will come loose and provide me with a clue?
    i found the easiest way was.

1. remove the silver coated bit on the drivers side of the gear stick (smaller one with the handbreak). (or fake wood if you've got the delux) it's clipped on, so it clips off.. use a small flat head screwdriver with something over it to prevent scratching when you lift it up towards the roof..

2. repeat for the longer silver bit on the passenger side of the gear stick.

3. the bits on the left and right of the headunit can then be pried out from the bottom up, the right had side has the hazard switch on it, which just has a clip connection. ditto for the left side with the passenger seatbelt warning.

4. pull out the ashtray, stick your hand in where the tray was grab behind and pull the bottom section towards the gear stick, has clip wires for the ashtray lights and lighter wiring.

5. can't remember if the airconditioning section need to come out too. don't think so..

all clips, no screws, and takes about 3 minutes to get to the headunit screws... that's about as far as i got when i was putting in a battery monitor/temp guage under the ashtray. may not need step 4 & 5 for the head unit screws... was a little while ago..

My Prado Buildiup Since 2004
    2004 120 GXL V6 4sp Auto D694 LTs and MTRs with Kevlar (best of both worlds )

http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/48063.png

Thanks for the writeup, excellent instructions, it is much simpler than what I had thought!!!! I really appreciate the help, now I have to find somone to fabricate the housing for me.

Cheers.

Baz,

should be a matter of removing the brackets from the factory deck, and fitting the brackets to your new stereo.

You should also be able to use an empty DIN pocket that most car audio places sell for around $15...
    Driving - 2007 SS Thunder Ute

Would you know if this DIN pocket specific to a PRADO is available on line?

Cheers.