Just fitted 80 series front springs in the rear, photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just fitted 80 series front springs in the rear, photos

I've just fitted a brand new set of KYB standard 80 series springs in the rear of my 3.0TD SWB Manual Colorado/Prado and I'm over the moon with the lift and the ride, should have done it a year ago!

Here's a photo with no load in the back and no fuel in the tank, the rear measurement from the under side of the molding to the top of the rim is 405mm.

Here's a photo with a load of 150Kg in the boot and 70Ltrs of fuel, the rear measurement reduces to about 365mm

I'm now interested in bringing the front up a little to compensate not only for the installation of the new 80 series springs but also the effects of 2 years of hard use on my IM springs and the resent installation of a winch.

I'm not wanting to replace the existing IM springs as I'm happy with the ride they give and the flex, but would like to fit a strut top spacer of about 15/20mm in thickness in the hope of getting a 30/40mm lift.

What experiences has anyone had with strut top spacers and the amount of lift that they give in relation to their their thickness? I have read that the rule of thumb is that the LIFT = 2 X SPACER thickness. Has anyone actually had experience of fitting a 15mm spacer and if so what lift did you gain?

Here's a photo with the truck loaded with 150Kg in the boot and 70Ltrs of fuel. In this one though I've jacked the front end up to increase the front measurement from the under side of the molding to the top of the rim by 30mm the amount of lift one may expect from a 15mm spacer.

Here's a photo with everything the same as above but with the front measurement increased by 40mm the amount of lift one may expect from a 15mm spacer.

I'd be very interested in hearing about the experiences that any of you have had using strut top spacers.
    Last edited by sae70; 23-03-2013, 07:04 AM. Reason: ;)
    98 Prado90 TD GX called Fiery, IM suspension, 255/85/16 KM2's, Snorkel, sliders & winch (now sold & living in Switzerland)
    02 Prado95 D4D GX called Swampy, IM & 80 series suspension, 285/75/16 KM2's, ARB front locker, sliders, Asfir protection & winch

I'm sure that while extensively researching the 80 series spring upgrade last week that I'd stumbled over someone that had fitted 15mm front strut top spacers in combination with the 80 series spring upgrade. Do you think I can find their post now!!!!
    Last edited by sae70; 23-03-2013, 06:57 AM. Reason: ;)
    98 Prado90 TD GX called Fiery, IM suspension, 255/85/16 KM2's, Snorkel, sliders & winch (now sold & living in Switzerland)
    02 Prado95 D4D GX called Swampy, IM & 80 series suspension, 285/75/16 KM2's, ARB front locker, sliders, Asfir protection & winch

Comment

The other bit of information that I'm looking for are the dimensions of the strut top mounting plate, the PCD of the 3 fixing studs would be great. Not only are those strut top spacers as rare as rocking horse poo here in the UK the ones you can get are everything but 15mm thick, so going to have to turn some up myself and having the studs PCD will save me having to remove the strut just to measure it just to fit it straight back on again.

Comment

The front is now too high, you still need to have the rake between the front and rear.
        97 VX Grande, with front & rear air lockers, ARB Sahara winch bar with tigers 11 winch, 2" EFS lift, 265/75/16 Achilles Desert hawk XMT, and more.

[B]Bitumen - A blatant waste of taxpayers money![/B]

Comment

I've not fitted any spacers as yet, so the front is still lower than the rear in all cases including the scenario with the proposed 15mm strut top spacer fitted with a 220Kg load including fuel. To be fair with nowt in the boot and just a full tank of fuel the rear would be an calculated 20mm higher than the front even with the 20mm spacer fitted, giving a 40mm lift to the front. Good old 80 series springs
          Last edited by sae70; 23-03-2013, 07:31 AM. Reason: ;)

Comment

Yep it's a good cheap mod that works well! You should find they flex better too. You just need to be aware that they will drop more with a load in the back. Hope you have longer shocks to make the most of the increased travel too. I also added a 10 mm spacer to the bump stops.
            AJ120 has done a bit of work on strut spacers and perhaps MDST too? I've also been told the lift ratio with spacers is 2:1.
            Your shorty looks great - wish they were easier to come by here!
            Cheers, Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by Torrie 72 View Post
              Yep it's a good cheap mod that works well! You should find they flex better too. You just need to be aware that they will drop more with a load in the back.
              I did fully load her up as if away for a weekends camping and trailing trip with a full tank of fuel and all my camping gear and a 20Kg weight representing food and water and another representing beer :grin: The molding to top of rim measurement dropped to 340mm and this could not be better for me as before I replaced the springs for the 80 ones the old IM 'B' springs would drop from 335mm empty to 280mm loaded, so I'm over the moon

Hope you have longer shocks to make the most of the increased travel too.
              I left the IM shocks on for the mo', but when they need replacing I'm pretty certain that I'll be going down the 80 series rear shocks route

I also added a 10 mm spacer to the bump stops.
              This interests me as its such a small amount, is it really unnecessary? I understand that its to prevent the shock topping out, but surely 10mm want make that much difference will it?!

has done a bit of work on strut spacers and perhaps MDST too?
              Cheers I shall have a good look through their posts, I've already had a good look through MDST's. He's where I got most of my inspiration from to do the spring upgrade in the first place.

I've also been told the lift ratio with spacers is 2:1.
              Yes, as I understand. I've spoken with a chap just this morning back here in the UK that sells 25mm spacers and he's going to get a set of them turned down to 15mm for me over the weekend and out to me on Monday. He's said I should expect a lift a smidge over twice the spacer thickness, so I'm hoping for a look similar to that as in the third photo down.

Your shorty looks great - wish they were easier to come by here!
              Thanks Ben When I was looking for mine 3years back they weren't so common here either and I was facing the prospect of having to get over to Ireland to get one as they were far more common over there, but luckily I came across this one. Like everything though they are becoming more commonly found now that I have one :roll:

Comment

Do you have a differential drop kit?? If you don't, id be getting one for the lift, It'll keep the stress off your cv's.

The best part of the 80 series shocks/springs on the 90 series is the flex they give.

Looking good there, i'd love to get 255/85R16 tires for my shorty, but theyre too expensive here and I havent found an all terrain pattern on this size...

Comment

Originally posted by trimardito View Post
                  Do you have a differential drop kit?? If you don't, id be getting one for the lift, It'll keep the stress off your cv's.
                  Yes I bought one on Saturday and it's coming in the post with my new 15mm strut top spacers I managed to find a chap selling 25mm spacers who could turn them down to 15mm for me and he also sold the diff drop kit, so I had one To be fair I wasn't going to bother dropng the diff as I didn't think that the drive shaft angle was looking so bad with the addition 30mm of lift.

Here's a photo of it;

And the top ball joint;

The best part of the 80 series shocks/springs on the 90 series is the flex they give.
                  Yes, I'm very much looking forward to giving the new springs a work out in a couple of weekends time up in Wales. Hopefully the snow will hang around till then also. It's not so much the flex that I was after as my outgoing IM springs were fine, but the the extra load support is what I'm over the moon about.

Looking good there, i'd love to get 255/85R16 tires for my shorty, but they're too expensive here and I haven't found an all terrain pattern on this size...
                  They are not so cheep here either!!! When I bought these you could get this size in a couple of makes over here including the Cooper ST, but they stopped importing it for some reason. A friend of mine was told that they were going to start importing it again, but nowts come of it!
                  Last edited by sae70; 25-03-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Love the shorties!! A big lift, 255/85R16's and dual lockers on a shorty would be awesome

Now... There's a couple posts here claiming that the 80 series springs offers improved flex. I will assume that we are talking about ARTICULATION - the total amount an axle/wheel will travel up/down. We've had a little look at this before and found that whilst the 80 series setup does provide an increased lift height, they alone, do not improve articulation (compared to my OME mediums, which are not customised in any way). See here: http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...l=1#post375710

Of course I'd love to see evidence which shows otherwise (and I'll jump on the 80 series bandwagon)

Sae70 - How about some measurements of your rig's articulation (rear axle) to help clarify this topic?

Measurements are performed from the rim edge to the flare edge (imagine a line from the hub centre, pointing directly upwards - that's the measurement path). Measure this when at both heavily compressed and extended positions. When I do this, I ensure one wheel is in the air to attain an absolute maximum compression/extension.

Food for thought: No matter what shock/coil you use, eventually the panhard and upper/lower arms are going to hold back any improvements in articulation.
                    glen_ep
                    Addicted PP Member
                    Last edited by glen_ep; 26-03-2013, 09:53 AM.
                    glen_ep - engineered, 4" lift, 33" 255/85R16, lockers, 4.88 ratios www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?17237 www.youtube.com/user/glenep www.fb.com/groups/ToyotaPrado90

Comment

Happy to do so and when I'm away in Wales next I shall en-devour to find the perfect axle twister for the measurement

Fitting the 80 series springs was never about improving my flex, although I'd be unhappy to have lost any! I was always very happy with the flex and ride of my Ironman 'B' springs but just not the load carrying ability of them. When fully loaded for a weekend away with a full tank of fuel my IM springs would drop to 270mm, but the 80 springs drop to 340mm and that's what its all about for me primarily. Having test driven her with the 80 springs in I'd have to say that the ride is softer than the IM springs, not in a dangerous way, but more an executive way.

Is it not my shocks and bump stops that are limiting my flex?! Surely at full droop it'll be my Ironman shock that will limit that long before the spring becomes loose and the bump stop should hit long before the spring becomes that compressed. If anything I guess the compression may be slightly effected due to there being more spring, but I can't imagine that the droop will change.

Here's an interesting collection of photos;

(LEFT) std spring, 13.5mm bar dia (MIDDLE) Ironman +40mm spring, 15.3mm bar dia (RIGHT) standard new 80 series front spring with 14.4mm bar dia

The Ironman spring is +20mm over the standard spring and the 80 series front spring is +95mm over standard.

Looks to me as though the IM spring is progressive?!

The other point to note is that the springs are upside down in these photos and actually go into the axle the other way up.
                      Last edited by sae70; 27-03-2013, 12:31 AM. Reason: ;)

Comment

Yes, if you haven't changed the shock, that'll be your first limiting factor for articulation. I believe the 80 series upgrade includes the option for an 80's rear shock. I keep meaning to research the 80's shock specifications (because I'm in search of the ultimate combo), but haven't got around to it yet...

Nice photos and thanks for all the information.
                        glen_ep - engineered, 4" lift, 33" 255/85R16, lockers, 4.88 ratios www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?17237 www.youtube.com/user/glenep www.fb.com/groups/ToyotaPrado90

Comment

I did stumble over this info on IH8MUD

I've got some baseline info ya. This info is based on the KYB Monomax shocks which are spec'ed to the stock shock.

Front
                          Max length 571mm
                          Min length 355mm
                          Rear
                          Max length 572mm
                          Min length 362mm
                          There's alot more on the subject here http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...collected.html

Comment

Here is some measurements to ponder.

All of the following measurements have been made from the underside of the plastic arch body molding to the top of the wheel rim & averaged.

My truck;

Colorado 3.0TD Manual SWB GX, no load, no fuel (orange fuel light on), rear seats in, rock sliders and a 50Kg front winch install.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            With IM 'B' spec suspension lift all around;

Front 315mm Rear 335mm
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            With IM 'B' spec suspension lift on the front, new KYB standard 80 series front springs on the rear;

Front 315mm Rear 405mm
                            With IM 'B' spec suspension lift on the front & a 15mm strut top spacer, new KYB standard 80 series front springs on the rear;

Front 345mm Rear 405mm
                            (calculated)

Now the same suspension set ups on my truck again, but with a 150Kg load in the back, still no fuel (orange fuel light on).
                            With IM 'B' spec suspension lift all around;

Front 315mm Rear 290mm
                            With IM 'B' spec suspension lift on the front, new KYB standard 80 series front springs on the rear;

Front 315mm Rear 375mm
                            With IM 'B' spec suspension lift on the front & a 15mm strut top spacer, new KYB standard 80 series front springs on the rear;

Front 345mm Rear 375mm
                            (calculated)

Here is some measurements that I've collated from other peoples trucks over the last couple of weeks.

The thing with these measurements are that I don't really know how much load, fuel or toys are fitted to these trucks, but I'm happy that they would be comparable to my second set of measurements allowing for load, fuel and toys.

24Sevens truck, member on TLCOC & ELCOC. Colorado 3.0TD Auto LWB GX. Nearly empty apart from outback draws in back and no winch.

Had OME 881 +50Kg coils up front & OME 890 coils in the rear, measurements after 18,000miles of use with plenty of over landing.
                            (suffered a broken/sheared rear OME shock once)

Front 360mm Rear 330mm
                            (has done a lot of over-landing miles with load, but considers the OME 890 coils to be under-sprung for his requirement and was considering OME +300Kg coils before he fitted the 80 series springs)

Now has OME 881 +50Kg coils up front & second hand standard 80 series front springs on the rear.

Front 360mm Rear 390mm

Kezel's truck, member on PP. Prado 3.4 V6 Auto LWB GXL. ARB style front bumper and winch, large roof rack.

Has an Ironman 'B' set up;

Front 352mm Rear 338mm

Doodle. member on ELCOC. Colorado 3.0TD Manual LWB GX. Steel front bumper with winch, rock sliders, under-body protection 1/2 a tank of fuel and no load.

Has a brand new IronMan 'B' set up;
                            (originally fitted the Ironman 'C' set up, but felt they were to harsh so returned them)

Front 350mm Rear 335mm
                            (reports there being no significant difference in lift between the Ironman 'B' set up or the Ironman 'C' set up)

Blue Rocks truck, member on ELCOC and PP. Colorado D-4D GX. 65Kg hidden front winch installation, no third row of seats -35kg

Has an OME set up with 882 +50Kg coils on the front & 892 coils on the rear;

Front 366mm Rear 375mm

Andy Cook, member on ELCOC. Colorado 3.0TD Auto LWB FX (no body moldings to measure from), 60Kg hidden front winch install,
                            rock sliders, under body protection, outback draws;

Has an OME set up with 882 +50Kg coils on the front & 891 +150Kg coils on the rear;
                            (suffered a broken OME front coil spring at one time)

Front 360mm Rear 370mm
                            (no plastic body molding as FX model)
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                            mencisport.com
                            antalya escort
                            tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                            deneme bonusu veren siteler
                            gaziantep escort
                            gaziantep escort
                            asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                            erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                            atasehir escort tuzla escort
                            sikis sex hatti