PDA

View Full Version : Oztrail RV roof awning

antpower
15-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?
Just saw hem in the BCF catalogue for $199!
They are $300-$400 everywhere else.
Oztrail Web site doesn't say much, tried Google not much info.
From basic specs on the Oztrail site it looks pretty good, what are your thoughts/experience?

Cheers,
Anthony.

bevwone
15-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Anthony.

I also had a look at this and it raised my interest.
Oztrail stuff is usually pretty reasonable gear.
I think I will be checking this out closer tomorrow.

Bev

Justo77
15-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I saw that catalogue yesterday, looks good for the money. I was also wondering if anyone here has one of these.

Keen to hear anyones experiences.

D4D
15-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I have the ARB and it is ok, they're all fairly similar. Keep in mind as it is not canvas it is not totally waterproof. For the price it is a good buy. 2.5m might be a bit long for a Prado though, I have the 2m.

Edit - actually looking at the Oztrail site it seems to be ripstop canvas with a silver roof. Sounds like a great buy.
http://www.oztrail.com.au/WebPage.gtl?Product=CTA-RVS-D?currentgroup=ZZZ020?currentsubgroup=4WD

pradogang
15-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Can't comment on the Oztrail gear but I have an awning made by Supapeg (Yatala in Queensland), 2mX3m for $199. Very pleased with it.

antpower
15-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Apologies on the signature size.
Wasn't like that on the previous version of the site!

Think I will be off to BCF tomorrow to take a look.

iantz
16-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Just bought mine. Had a good look over it in store and its outstanding for the money. Glad I didn't buy it when it was on special for $259 a month ago! 2.5m is great for the side of the prado but you will need a 3 bar set up as its quite heavy.

Justo77
16-06-2011, 10:47 AM
What is the mounting system like, can it be mounted with u bolts or something similar or will it require drilling holes into something like an ARB roof rack?

kav
16-06-2011, 11:35 AM
it looks exactly the same as all the others. snap it up at $199 thats a bargain .2.5m is perfect you only need 2 roof racks .

iantz
16-06-2011, 12:39 PM
You would need front and rear rails. It wouldn't mount properly to the rear and mid rails only. The instructions suggest you use 3 rails for off road conditions.

It comes with two L brackets, so you could mount using u bolts. A third L bracket needs to be purchased for 3 bar set up.

amts
16-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Is this a roller blind arrangement or do you roll it up manually?

MDS69
16-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I am pretty sure manual

kav
16-06-2011, 04:42 PM
its rolled up manually . if you try to use a third middle rail it wont line up. you only need front and rear . it does not wobble ,flex or move in any way in any offroad conditions.

amts
16-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks MDS69 and kav.
What do you mean the 3rd rail won't line up? This will be fixed onto HD bars mounted directly to the roof, as opposed to cross bars mounted to the factory north-south rails.

iantz
16-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Same as me AMTS. I have east west HD rails and all three look pretty level to me. Can't see why they wouldn't line up. Gepps cross had about 8 in stock, bit they'll go quick.

Justo77
16-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Same as me AMTS. I have east west HD rails and all three look pretty level to me. Can't see why they wouldn't line up. Gepps cross had about 8 in stock, bit they'll go quick.

I have the older type Rola sports racks, the middle bar is slightly higher than the front and rear, I beleive this has been fixed with the newer racks but people such as myself with the older ones may find the racks aren't level.
I think they fixed this with the newer ones by putting higher feet on the rear bar.

Chris_M
16-06-2011, 07:15 PM
One issue I have been looking at is the ability of the ARB awning to be able to have the fly-wire sides. I reckon this could be the deal breaker.

Does this awning have the fly-wire sides option? I cant see it on the web-site but someone may know the answer?

antpower
16-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Picked one on the way home tonight. :-), only had a chance to pull it out of the box. A lot longer than I thought, held it up to the roof racks and looks like a great size. I have the 3 bars, so if anyone works out a 3rd L bracket option let is know? BCF Taren Pt, NSW also had about 8 tucked away in back corner, manager was telling me it was an absolute bargain.

amts
16-06-2011, 11:01 PM
3 left at Gepps Cross at 6.45pm today.

iantz
16-06-2011, 11:19 PM
3 left at Gepps Cross at 6.45pm today.

So you got one too??

amts
16-06-2011, 11:46 PM
So you got one too??
Yes. I succumbed to the PP buying urge.

iantz
17-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes. I succumbed to the PP buying urge.

That's what this site is all about! Helping you spend your money ;-)

I'm going to have a crack at installing the brackets on the underside of the rails. Don't think it'll work, but we'll see.

kav
17-06-2011, 09:48 AM
don't know if oz trail have the mozzy screen but you can buy the screen from ARB it should fit straight on , cost $145 , either way your ahead by $125 on the ARB awning which is exactly the same .

Chris_M
17-06-2011, 10:43 AM
How does the mozzy screen attach to the frame?

haycait
17-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Any decent pics guys??

Installed or not....

Cheers
Nigel

Schaffer
17-06-2011, 12:04 PM
don't know if oz trail have the mozzy screen but you can buy the screen from ARB it should fit straight on , cost $145 , either way your ahead by $125 on the ARB awning which is exactly the same .
I picked up an Open Sky awning from ARB last year for $190. Could have had the ARB awning but they didn't have any in stock at the time. I think the standard price on the ARB awning is about $235-245.

Chris_M
17-06-2011, 12:20 PM
ARB quote for 2.5m awning was $321. The 3 sided mozzy screen was around $130. Plus 2 x L brackets at about $30.

Schaffer
17-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Well maybe mine was $290 then. Would have sworn I only paid $190. Oh well.

kav
17-06-2011, 05:19 PM
on the front edge it fits into a slot , the sides clip on . ill have to check , ive never put mine on . i do remember seeing it at ARB but i seem to have killed the brain cell that held that information .

amts
17-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I found this instruction manual for the ARB 2500 awning. Not sure if it is the same as the OzTrail or not. Haven't been game enough to take it out of the box for fear of the missus finding out.
www.xtreme4x4.gr/pdf/ARBAwninginstructions_lowres.pdf (http://www.pradopoint.com/www.xtreme4x4.gr/pdf/ARBAwninginstructions_lowres.pdf)

mjrandom
17-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Grabbed one on the way home this afternoon. If I get a chance this weekend between jobs I wil set it up and take some pics. Looks the goods and great value for occasional use.

Homer
17-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I grabbed one today too :)

Melbo
18-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Haven't been game enough to take it out of the box for fear of the missus finding out.

heheheheh...first the urge to buy, then reality strikes. Ahhhh what an impact PP puts on families :-)

William
18-06-2011, 08:37 AM
You bought one too melbo?

Damienandwendy
18-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Still 1/2 a dozen left at BCF Townsville as at 9.30am this morning.
Where is the best place to get the fittings for the roof rack that the awning mount connects to or is there a specific kit from Rhino that suits ?

Edit: 10.30am : Looking at the Rhino site, I can't seem to find the channel square headed bolts for the Aero bars separately unless you get them as part of a fitting kit.

Edit2: 2pm : the Canoe Carrier Fit Kit (S400-FK1) looks to have all the right bits apart from some nyloc nuts for only $21. Of course, I had lunch and went out to find OL, TJM, ARB all closed at 12 or 1pm. mumble, mumble, backward state, mumble, mumble.

cheers

Damien

Damienandwendy
19-06-2011, 12:43 PM
So has anyone that has bought one of these, installed one onto a 150 with factory fitted bars ie the Rhino Aero/Sportz Bar ?
Also, are there supposed to be instructions in the box ? Looking at the ARB install instructions (thanks Amts ! ) the maximum unsecured length at each end is not to exceed 700mm. I have the bars as far apart as I can without going onto the plastic surrounds which leaves me an overhang of 800mm at each end.
I think it should be Ok, but just checking on what others have found out.

cheers

Damien

mjrandom
19-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I quickly attached mine to the roof rack using a couple of holes I prepared earlier. After the mock up I took the roof rack off and found a nice way to fit the angle brackets to the bottom of the rack. Word of warning the standard T bolts are mild steel and very soft. I have some gal M6 grade 8.8 bolts that fit the T slot so these were substituted. Very easy to set up, maybe 30 seconds from opening the zip to standing. I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while and thanks to PP picked it up half price!

Awning mounted temporarily on the side of the roof rack:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7241z.jpg

Then a couple of shots of the awning opened up. Looks to be quite durable and will be fine for the use we plan to put it to:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7235z.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7236z.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7239z.jpg

Will have to give it a full scale test soon. I will make up some brackets to suit the Rodeo ladder racks so I can attach the awning when I use that to transport the kayaks.

PradOz
19-06-2011, 08:30 PM
heheheheh...first the urge to buy, then reality strikes. Ahhhh what an impact PP puts on families :-)

i am not game to buy 1. swmbo is watching the bank statements like a hawk, checking we are missing any cash with all the torches i have been busy ordering. she would soon spot a cool couple hundred going missing. she isnt worried about ppers, just my chinese contact/wholesaler friend

:( ahh one day maybe....

Justo77
19-06-2011, 08:38 PM
i am not game to buy 1. swmbo is watching the bank statements like a hawk, checking we are missing any cash with all the torches i have been busy ordering. she would soon spot a cool couple hundred going missing. she isnt worried about ppers, just my chinese contact/wholesaler friend

:( ahh one day maybe....

I know exactly where youre coming from, I figured I was lucky enough with the Maxtracks on special at Supercheap a couple of weeks ago, not worth pushing my luck.

kav
19-06-2011, 09:21 PM
don't worry about the 800 overhang it doesn't move

iantz
19-06-2011, 09:28 PM
mjrandom - did you mount to cross bars, or to your cage? If you mounted to the underside of cross bars, did you shorten the L brackets at all??

Ian.

Damienandwendy
20-06-2011, 06:34 AM
don't worry about the 800 overhang it doesn't move

Yeah the ally channel looks solid enough, just wanted to double check.

cheers

Damien

mjrandom
20-06-2011, 08:42 AM
mjrandom - did you mount to cross bars, or to your cage? If you mounted to the underside of cross bars, did you shorten the L brackets at all??

Ian.

Ian I have fitted the L brackets to the bottom of the cage. My roof rack is a 108 year old (at least!) Jarram rack and is made from 25sq aluminium box. Upper and lower frames separated by 75x6 aluminium flat. The lower part of the rack has two pieces of alumium "unistrut" beneath the expanded mesh floor. This unistrut is ~30mm deep and hangs below the bottom of the box section and originally had the gutter mounts bolted into it. To make the rack fit the 120 I have the roof rack fitted onto an ARB mounting kit. I bolted the mounting kit to the rack using the unistrut and also attached the mounting kit to the front and rear box section however because the unistrut is lower than the box section I put a spacer front and rear between the mounting kit and the box section to level it all up. I simply removed the spacers on the LHS and inserted the L bracket and some 25x3 alumium flat bar to fill the gap. I set the awning inside face about 12mm outside the lower box section edge to allow me to get a rope around the box so I could tie down loads in the roof rack. The L bracket was bolted in two places to the bottom of the rack and pop riveted in two others to hold the flat bar spacer in place. All secure. I am thinking I will make up some U brackets and mount these side on so I can bolt the brackets to the top and bottom frames to give the brackets a bit more support. The standard brackets do allow a bit of movement back and forth. As the top frame is shorter than the bottom frame I will need to fabricate the brackets rather than just bend up some flat bar. Probably weld up some 25x3 flat mild steel, but that is a job for another weekend.

iantz
20-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks mate. Seems i'll just have to sort it out when I get time to do it. Seeing it on your rig makes me want to get it on sooner rather than later!!!

Melbo
20-06-2011, 01:20 PM
You bought one too melbo?

Was about to, almost there ...but was able to resist, phew ....:-)

William
20-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Can't say I wasn't tempted myself

Homer
20-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Bloody awning....just cost me another $1250.... "I cant mount it on the car dear, I need to put a roof rack on first...this Alloy ARB one will be great for our trip away"
I wait with bated breath.... "Ok then!".....YES. LOL

Damienandwendy
20-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Installation onto the Toyota Genuine for the 150 or Rhino Sportz Bars was fairly straightforward, I went for "upside down" with the bracket as we have some height issues with our garage door.

http://s2.postimage.org/1u3g6af6s/DSCF7043.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1u3g6af6s/)

http://s2.postimage.org/1u3rr1un8/DSCF7044.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1u3rr1un8/)

The angle is a bit deceptive, the end doesn't extend past the end of the vehicle.

http://s2.postimage.org/1u3yd78mc/DSCF7045.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1u3yd78mc/)

cheers

Damien

kav
20-06-2011, 09:14 PM
nice work homer and you know theres just so much more . the addiction begins

gwatts21
26-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Just fell victim to the "I'm saving $150 mentality". Now I have to mount it without Paulette noticing. Might get an extra day or two of grace if I mount it on the drivers side where she cant see it. :-)

Thanks to Anthony for starting this thread.

Gaz

iantz
27-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Well I put mine on over the weekend. I have the HD toyota roof bars with a custom flat platform. The platform prevents me being able to mount on top of the bars like Damien has done. The feet also prevent mounting underneath the cross bars. Given that the holes are small, I decided I would tap some holes through the central flat bar that is moulded right down the center of each of the cross bars. So, it was simply a matter of getting some M6x20mm high tensile bolts from bunnings, some flat washers and some nyloc nuts. I think they broke the bank at about $4, so now the blasted awning owes me $203!! Anyway, being alloy, the holes are easy and the install took about 20 minutes. I can post some pics of how i've mounted the brackets if anyone is interested.

2.5m is the perfect length for the side of the prado.

Ian.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/izajac/Random%204x4/IMAG0612.jpg

Peterpilot
27-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?
Oztrail Web site doesn't say much, tried Google not much info.
From basic specs on the Oztrail site it looks pretty good, what are your thoughts/experience?

Cheers,
Anthony.
Nice find, Anthony.
Still advertised on the BCF website too: http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/SHADE-RV-AWNING-DELUXE-OZTRAIL-DC.aspx?pid=224111#Description

amts
27-06-2011, 03:18 PM
What's the preferred side for the awning? Our baby seat is on the driver's side, so if we happen to stop and the baby is asleep and the sun is streaming in from that side, I thought that the awning should be on the driver's side.

What reasons do you guys have for putting the awning on the side you have chosen?

iantz
27-06-2011, 04:47 PM
AMTS - I put mine on the passenger side as I already have my shovel clamps on the drivers side. As the snorkel is also going on the driver side, I just thought it was aesthetically more balanced on the passenger side. The rear door also opens to the right, and I don't fancy walking around the door all the time to get under the awning.

amts
27-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Didn't think about the rear door bit. Putting it on the left will also keep the wife happy if she decides to have a snooze on the passenger's seat.
I've got window sox that are yet to be installed for the baby, so the awning can go on the left.

Justo77
27-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Not that I have one yet but when I do get one I will be putting it on the passenger side, one reason being that if you stop on the side of a road it's not on the road side to keep the kids a bit further away from the road.

gwatts21
27-06-2011, 07:50 PM
When I get around to it I will be putting mine on the passengers side for all of the above reasons; except for the baby seat. :-)

I guess if you were always out and about by yourself it may make more sense to have it on the drivers side but I think the big advantages to the passenger side are that it would be away from the road and it is the side the rear door opens.

To each his own I guess.

Cheers

Gaz

mjrandom
28-06-2011, 08:52 AM
I am thinking about making up a bracket set that will allow me to have the awning on the left for use and transport and also rotate it around the back to cover the back door when stationary at the beach etc. Will have a play this weekend. I have drawn up the various bits and pieces and it should be doable.

iantz
28-06-2011, 12:05 PM
MJ - why would you do that when you can buy something else for the car in the way of a 'Rear Awning'?? :)

mjrandom
28-06-2011, 03:20 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????

mjrandom
03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
OK I had a bit of time this weekend and made up the bracket set to allow me to swing the awning around the back when we are parked. The bracket details are pretty much irrelevant unless you have the same roof rack but the principle can be applied to pretty much any rack arrangement.

The rear mount is offset to allow the awning to pivot without interference. That mount is made up of flat ms and erw tubing. An M12 gal bolt provides the pivot pin. The awning mount that is held by the pivot pin is not fixed to the awning but is mounted on long T bar sliders which allow the awning to slide back and forward. The T bars are in place of the T bolts and by virtue of their length they allow the awning to slide back and forth freely while still being bolted up firmly enough to stop rattling. The T bar sliders are aluminium flat (at the moment) tapped M6 with M6 studs loctited in the holes. Nyloc nuts on the outside finish the job. This is the key to getting the awning to rotate around the back.

On the front LHS and rear RHS I made up a simple bracket that allows a 12mm diameter pin (another M12 bolt at the moment) to lock the awning in place. This pin will be secured with a lynch pin or key ring depending what I can find that is suitable. Remove the pin, slide the awning backwards and then pivot the awning until the brackets line up on the rear and then insert the 12mm pin again to hold the awning in position.

Still a few things to do like paint the brackets. Cut the M12 pivot bolt to length and fit it with a nyloc nut (thought I had one in the box of nuts and bolts but alas not!) and make up the 12mm pin. I will try and get some thicker material for the T bars to make this a bit more secure. May have to go to gal steel flat so I can weld the studs into place and not rely just on loctite. I didn't get any shots fitted to the car because it started raining about lunch time and drizzled for the rest of the day. After I paint the brackets and finish off the bits and pieces I will set it up and take some more photos.

Anyway some pics:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7271z.jpg

This is the offset bracket with the awning in travel/LHS position.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7272z.jpg

This is the bracket from the back. The 'spare' bracket on the awning fits into the rear bracket when the awning is rotated.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7281z.jpg

This is the rear bracket.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7270z.jpg

This is the equivalent support at the front.

mjrandom
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
A few more shots...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7269z.jpg

Awning mounted in travel/LHS position. Overhang is 650mm front and 600mm rear.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7280z.jpg

Awning rotated and slid around to the rear.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7276z.jpg

Corner bracket now shows front bracket position when the awning is at the back.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7275z.jpg

Here is the rear bracket in place supporting the awning so that it can be extended out the back of the car. When parked naturally!

mjrandom
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
And a couple more to finish off...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7284z.jpg

The awning is offset far enough to be able to tie a rope around the rack base.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7283z.jpg

Rack and awning up in the roof waiting to be fitted. All being well I might be able to finish it off next Sunday and put it on the car for a real world test run.

Homer
07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
I havent fitted my awning yet, but I have got the ARB deluxe alloy rack fitted now...do you think it would be safe to drill mounting holes in the up-rights on the rack and mount it there?

mjrandom
07-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Haven't had a chance to finish off the brackets lately because I was helping a mate shift his shed. 12m x 6m and we moved it in two pieces with the help of an all terrain forklift and it still took 3 weekends.

I managed to get some time today. I replaced the aluminium sliders for some made from steel, with these I could tack weld the studs in place and be sure they weren't going to come loose. I painted the sliders with a good cold gal paint and then wet sanded them smooth so they would slide in the aluminium tracks. I fitted everything back together a little too soon though and the top coat paint needs some touch up. Ah well the rack needs a dulux overhaul anyway and that will sort that out.

I found that it is easy to set up and pack away the awning single handed. A little awkward because of the height but really no problem.

Awning opened on LHS:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7291z.jpg

There are plenty of shots on here how it looks and how much space there is mounted on the side.

Rolled up the awning and then spun it around the back. Again a one person job, from on top of the roofrack anyway.

Rotated around the back:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7296z.jpg

The awning covers about 100mm or so of the roof and easily accomodates the door opening and closing.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7297z.jpg

And the view from the other side:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7298z.jpg

Of course it started to rain once the awning was up...

All in all the brackets cost me about an extra $100 because I had to buy full lengths of flat. Still need to put a locknut on the pivot bolt. I made up a pin for the front/rear which has circular cotter pins top and bottom to lock it in and make it easier to pull out when removing the pin. I will tidy that pin up a bit when I next have the lathe running.

Setting up the awning to the side is maybe 5 minutes. Rotating it around the back and setting it up takes another 2. Same for putting the thing away. Definately worth the effort and easily done if you have a roofrack basket.

Homer
07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
That is a very cool setup mjrandom

mjrandom
07-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Homer I can't answer your question about the ARB rack. What shape and size are the uprights? I have no qualms about drilling my old Jarram rack because the top and bottom are 25 sq aluminium box section that is 2mm thick and the uprights are 76 x 6 bar. If the aluminium ARB rack is the same basic design as the steel one then the uprights are formed channel sections that are quite thin. I suspect if you ask Mrs ARB she would say NO! There would be nothing to stop you reinforcing the uprights though if they are a channel. You could get some aluminium flatbar that goes from base to top that fits inside (or outside) the channel and bond (glue) and pop rivet this in place then you would have plenty of strength to mount the awning.

Here is a shot from side on with the awning out the back:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/DSC_7302z.jpg

Homer
07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I fitted it today..I got some 4mm plate and made up some backing plates to go behind the rack uprights.
That should help support the rack, but I will be keeping a very close eye on it.

http://www.simmos4x4.info/images/awning-1.jpg

myminirocks
15-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Hey Michael, that is awesome! feel like banging up one of these for me! :-)

mjrandom
15-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Hello Matt! Come over and we can talk about it.......

Edit: On second thought might be an opportunity to make the swinging arm version!

jamieprado
27-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Gents,

I've been looking for a good awning for a while and was considering a good second hand one or an el-cheapo. Found the OZtrail Awning at BCF on sale for $239, down from $349rrp. The OZtrail can have an extension fitted and you can also purchase an awning tent that sits inside it.

Hope this helps someone out, picking mine up on Friday!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4hPTt0maiWg/Uhxo690Qq2I/AAAAAAAAARE/4_2nOKsHqgw/s912/OZTrail-Awning.JPG

Link http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Oztrail-Deluxe-RV-Awning.aspx?pid=224111&menuFrom=571579#Cross

Cheers,
Jamie

The Alberto
27-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I have one of these and it has been great. Bought it in March last year and since then it has never been off the car and it has done dozens of camping trips including a 4 week hiding up the cape last year.

Still going strong (allbeit a bit redder with red cape dirt) - I'm sure you won't be disappointed and for $239 IMO you can't go wrong.

baggs71
27-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Cheap find kudos

D4D
27-08-2013, 07:32 PM
I want an end wall for the wide end to mount via the sail track if anybody can find one.

Bushbasher
27-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Crikey. The Rhino is $379 and I can get it through local ARB for $350. I've had a look and it's quite robust and has strong ropes and good poles. I'm wary of the oztrail product as their quality varies considerably. I bought 2 new oztrail camp chairs early this year and the stitching has come loose on the arms already. Took them back and got 2 new chairs but the material is the same.

amts
27-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I have the same awning and bought it for $199 also from BCF. I think it's about 1.5years now and the locking mechanism on all the poles have given up. The camlocks inside the pole won't lock onto the insides of the outer pole. I have since removed it and tried to clean it and give ti a good spray of silicone. Haven't used it since then but they seemed OK for the first year.

The Alberto
27-08-2013, 10:17 PM
I want an end wall for the wide end to mount via the sail track if anybody can find one.

I looked and could not find one, so I just had a local upholsterer make one up for me. Works a treat, rope track at the top, Velcro straps on the sides to attach to the poles and brass eyelets in the bottom to peg down or for poles if additional roof area is required. Was cheap as chips too from memory and will still roll up into the case with the awning so you are not putting it into the track every time you set up, just unzip, rollout and drop the side down. I also had an end made, rarely put it up but has come in handy on a few rainy occasions.

I can post a pic tomorrow if you like? (On the iPad ATM so can't)

amts
27-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Have a look here
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?28797-ARB-Touring-Awning&p=421751&viewfull=1#post421751

iantz
27-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I have the same awning and bought it for $199 also from BCF. I think it's about 1.5years now and the locking mechanism on all the poles have given up. The camlocks inside the pole won't lock onto the insides of the outer pole. I have since removed it and tried to clean it and give ti a good spray of silicone. Haven't used it since then but they seemed OK for the first year.

Same as Andrew - one of my poles doesn't want to lock anymore. It takes heaps of fiddling. Anyone got any ideas to repair them?

The Alberto
27-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Have a look here
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?28797-ARB-Touring-Awning&p=421751&viewfull=1#post421751

Woops, maybe I didn't look hard enough......

That looks exactly like what I had made! From memory I only paid about $50 and it's made from a tarp like material that is silver one side and white on the other, lightweight but seems strong.

photoprado
27-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I looked at these, all the cheapies seem pretty close to the same quality so I just went with the cheapest. I reckon if I get a lot of use out of it and it falls apart it'll be time for a better one :D

Tigerz is $160 with $9.95 flat rate shipping. http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-category/awnings/side-awning-2-5m-x-2m.html

photoprado
27-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Same as Andrew - one of my poles doesn't want to lock anymore. It takes heaps of fiddling. Anyone got any ideas to repair them?

If the cam mechanism is no longer working and not repairable, you could drill holes at the right height(s) and secure with a bolt and wingnut I guess. Are you able to completely dismantle the poles?

amts
27-08-2013, 11:48 PM
If the cam mechanism is no longer working and not repairable, you could drill holes at the right height(s) and secure with a bolt and wingnut I guess. Are you able to completely dismantle the poles?
When on uneven ground, it would be nice to set the poles to what ever height is needed. But I guess you could drill multiple holes for different heights needed.

All the poles can come off and will come apart for cleaning. After cleaning, the camlocks are now working but I'm not sure how long it will last. I have 4 pretty robust camping poles which I hope will be a good replacement. The camlocks in them have not failed me yet. If the pole diameters are all pretty close, then it's time for some enhancements.

jamieprado
28-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Now not so sure about the OZtrail.

Does the Tigerz have a sail track (slotted track) to attach an end wall?

amts
28-08-2013, 07:50 AM

I'm thinking Tigerz11 would be worse?

photoprado
28-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but google says yes:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HIYoU_Rb2TI/ULw7812R9uI/AAAAAAAACaQ/ZXCPgF9ujps/s600/End%2520Piece.JPG

From 4x4earth review by 'swaggie' (http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/camping-equipment/22254-tigerz-awning-review.html)

Oztrail is a more mainstream brand than Tigerz11. I'd expect the warranty and customer service to be better. Not sure about differences in quality of the item as these things are all made in bulk in China. Probably, if I had seen this thread before I ordered I would have bought the Oztrail and picked it up same day - less wait, and less risk of damage in transit...

SnowGuide
07-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Photoprado, care to give an update on your Tigerz awning? Looking at getting something at the moment and am interested in you "review" ;)

mjrandom
07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
I was looking for a second awning after the Rodeo driver stole the OzTrail (like Andrew had a few hits and misses with the cam locks) and picked up a Rhino Sunseeker II. It is much better made than the OzTrail. The TJM and ARB awnings are the same as the OzTrail. I cannot comment on the SupaPeg or other awnings but the Rhino gets my vote and when the OzTrail packs it in for the last time I will get another. Shop around too there are some good prices.

photoprado
07-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Photoprado, care to give an update on your Tigerz awning? Looking at getting something at the moment and am interested in you "review" ;)

Hey, yea, sure.

I've used it three times so far. In terms of performance, once it is up, it works really well. Nothing has bent or broken (yet) :) It has the alloy hinge brackets, not the plastic ones. The poles seem to operate fine, but I'm expecting them to jam up at some point, not because they feel fragile, but because every other brand seems to have had those problems.

It's not easy to put up or take down single handed. In any sort of wind, I'd call it near impossible. Also, the guys at each outside corner have to be detached and stowed separately, I'm going to put a carabiner on them to make that job easy (they have to be threaded through a hole in the extrusion and tied at the moment).

The mounting brackets are large, heavy, and crap. I didn't use them.

For the money paid, I'm happy. If I were buying again, at this point with no real negatives on the tigerz other than the mounting brackets, I'd shop around for the best price on an awning with alloy hinge brackets and that probably means it would be another tigerz or an oztrail or similar on special.

MickL
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I have a Tigerz, 2m long 2.5 out.

Pro's are it's cheap ($159 delivered) and is probably to the same quality as all the other cheap awnings.

Cons: had two pole cam-locks not working straight out of the box. I rang EMG (who the invoice in the box was from) no help and gave me a number at Tigez which rang out the half dozen times I tried. In the end I rang the phone sales number in their 4wd Action ad. Got the big brush off cause I wasn't calling to buy anything.
In the end I had to fix the two cam-locks myself (they were broken during manufacture, I glued the plastic up with some super glue)

It's been on the car 6 months and the PVC cover is starting to show signs of UV damage.

The mounting kit was a joke, I threw it straight in the bin and I bolted mine directly to the side of my ARB rack.

I've looked at many brands now and would suggest the online rumour of them all being out of the same factory in China is a crock. They may all be copies of each other but the quality certainly varies.

Next time I'd spend a little more and get one from someone that supports their product a little better too. Customer relations seems to have gone down the toilet for many retailers of late.

Juddy
11-12-2013, 09:48 AM
I have been given an OZ trail awning - yet to be fixed to the Rhino Rack. Just wondering if the Rhino brackets they advertise for the Sunseeker would work for the Oztrail. Has also been suggested to bolt the awning directly to the side plates of the rack - not sure about this. What have others done please?

prado2004
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I have been given an OZ trail awning - yet to be fixed to the Rhino Rack. Just wondering if the Rhino brackets they advertise for the Sunseeker would work for the Oztrail. Has also been suggested to bolt the awning directly to the side plates of the rack - not sure about this. What have others done please?

Just bolt them straight on mate thats what most do, much cheaper for you than paying $50 for a tiny bracket thats for sure.

Juddy
12-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks, hoped that would be the case.

Warnsie
20-01-2014, 02:24 PM
After looking at a lot of awnings lately I can safely say that after seeing an awning by Supa Peg you will never consider the other stuff. You pay a little more but I think it will last for as long as you have the car. The canvas (which is actually canvas), brackets, poles, connectors etc are miles better then the others. Just need to convince the boss that we need one for Easter

craigm
20-01-2014, 02:58 PM
And actually made locally too!

pradogang
20-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Yep my Supa Peg awning has worked really well, really like the 3m length.

Cheers

Jim

Warnsie
20-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Yep my Supa Peg awning has worked really well, really like the 3m length.

Cheers

Jim

Jim what is your roof rack setup to carry the 3m awning?

pradogang
21-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I have the Toyota north/south roof rails. The two crossbars are the Rhino vortex type. The length is 2m and it extends 3m out.