Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 to 3 inch lift options for Landcruiser 90 Colorado/Prado

Hi,

I just bought my Landcruiser 90 (Colorado), and I'm looking at getting a suspension lift, roughly 2 to 3 inches. This would be for off-road use, although obviously most of my driving would be on the motorway. I have a 3.0L D4-D Diesel engine, and I'll probably also be adding a winch on the front, at some point.

For the front, my preference is for an adjustable coilover (strut) assembly. I'm guessing 2.5 inches would have minimal impact on the CV joints, but I don't know this yet.

Here is what I've found, thus far...

LC90 LIFT KITS

1. ARB / Old Man Emu – 1.5 inch lift
    (a) Front OME 2882, Diesel Heavy Load 110 to 240 lbs spring
    - NOT adjustable!
    (b) Rear OME 2891 Constant 330 lbs to GVW spring
    (c) Rear OME 2892 Constant 660 lbs to GVW spring

2. Ironman 4x4 – Prado 45mm lift
    (a) Front TOY038C "Turbo Diesel or Accessories" (50-100kg over Petrol)
    - is this too weak?
    - adjustable, but what is the range of adjustment?
    (b) Rear TOY039B, 0-300kg

3. Dobinsons – Prado 35 mm lift
    (a) Front C59-300 3.0L T/Diesel / 60 - 90Kg Accessories (Bull Bar OR Winch)
    - NOT adjustable!
    (b) Rear C59-137 Extra Heavy Duty 100Kg to GVM

That's all I've found, thus far, specifically for the 90 series. Neither OME nor Dobinsons seems to be adjustable. And, the Ironman TOY038C sounds like it might be on the weak side, and it's not clear what range of adjustment is possible. Also, all of them list rather mediocre lift figures. Perhaps, this is because of Australian laws?

4RUNNER KITS

There seems to be more choice for 4Runners (in the US). I understand that the 4Runner and LC90 have identical fittings, in both the front and rear suspension, although obviously the LC90 is heavier.

Here are some 4Runner lift kits. However, on all of them, the front springs seem to be too weak for the Landcruiser:

1. Pro Comp All Pro Off Road, Fox Shox Coil-Overs 8525T-FOX-2.5CO-E
    2. Pro Comp All Pro Off Road, Fox Shox Bilstein Coil-Overs
    3. Icon Vehicle Dynamics Front Coil-over Shock Kit
    4. ToyTec Coil Overs (95.5-04 Taco & 96-02 4RUN)
    - the HD 650lb coils, are these still too weak?
    5. Sway-A-Way Coil Overs w/650lb springs

CALCULATIONS AND GUESSES

Here are some of my calculations. Let me know if I got something horribly wrong...

A. The LC90 Diesel is roughly 170kg heavier than the equivalent V6 Petrol (Gasoline) model. So, I'm guess that 150kg of that extra weight is in the front.

B. The LC90 V6 Petrol seems to be 120 kg heavier than the equivalent 4Rrunner. I have no idea what the weight distribution is like, so I'm going to guess that 50kg of that extra weight is in the front.

So, basically, the stock LC90 Diesel is about 200kg heavier in the front than the equivalent 4Runner Petrol—I'm guessing. Does that sound right?

C. A winch is about 40kg, and a front bumper will probably add another 30kg, once you remove the original.

Hardly anybody lists spring rates, but the highest listed number I've seen is 650 lbs/inch (for the front). I suspect this is too low, but I don't have a basis to do my calculations, as I don't know what the spring rate is on the OEM springs, and what the lever ratio is for the front lower suspension/control arm, although I think I read somewhere it might be close to 50%.

Help!

Some obvious questions I have:

1. Is 2 to 3 inches of suspension lift reasonable for the LC90?
    2. Are there other companies who can do adjustable front coilovers for the LC90?
    3. Are there some UK-based companies that I may have missed in my search? I'm based in the UK.
    4. Might some of the companies who target the 4Runner market have heavier setups available for the LC90?
    5. Some of the companies sell replacement upper control/suspension arms, for the front. Is this worth getting?
    6. Are the longer-travel shocks a good idea? Or would this hurt the CV joints?

Cheers,
    BlueRock

2001 Toyota Landcruiser 90 (Colorado) D4-D, rear locker, stock!
    2001 LC 90 D-4D (Colorado GX) w/rear locking diff
    - 3" lift: OME 882/892X (55/70 mm) + 32" BFG AT KO's
    - Winch: Warn Tabor 9k; hidden mount (K-4 Design)
    - Diff drop; diff breathers; dual Optima batteries (YT D31A)

Re: 2 to 3 inch lift options for Landcruiser 90 Colorado/Prado

The Ironman TOY038C is just a spring. The adjustable componenent is in the matching shock, 12691GR. It seems this is for minor adjusments after adding heavy accesories. There's little information about this online, maybe ask an Ironman dealer about it..?

CV joints and boots will suffer with higher lifts. If you go over 2", a diff drop kit is recommended.

You're on the right track looking at the weights. Sorry I might comment more later... I have some work to do now.
    glen_ep - engineered, 4" lift, 33" 255/85R16, lockers, 4.88 ratios www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?17237 www.youtube.com/user/glenep www.fb.com/groups/ToyotaPrado90

Comment

G'day BlueRock,

1. What kind of 4x4 driving do you want to do? Do you have friends with big 4WD's?

2. I didn't think there were any other companies, but you've just found one I didn't know about! There might be more, but the most popular ones in the US have already been listed.

3. Any UK guys have some feedback? The only thing I feel worth mentioning is that there's a body lift available in the UK. It's another option worth considering: a 2" suspenion lift and 2" body lift. It's a lot easier and cheaper than 2-3" inch of suspension alone. Most UK guys seem to run this 2+2 combo.

4. US doesn't have the 90s Prado so they won't have anything specific for it. Petrol owners may be ok with the 4runner heavy duty gear, not sure about Diesel. Pick a US company and ask them - maybe they can upgrade some components. Let us know.

5. To go over 2", aftermarket upper arms are highly recommended. If you lift too high with the original arms, the upper arms will end up hitting the springs.

6. Depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. As mentioned before, if you lift over 2" you'll need to drop the diff to reduce CV angles.
      glen_ep - engineered, 4" lift, 33" 255/85R16, lockers, 4.88 ratios www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?17237 www.youtube.com/user/glenep www.fb.com/groups/ToyotaPrado90

Comment

I just realized there might be a complication...

As I mentioned, I have the D4-D engine. These were introduced in the UK mid-2000. However, it seems that the Australians never got them in the 90 series! Is that correct?

This means that all the Australian-built aftermarket springs were designed for the lighter TD Diesel, and not the heavier D4-D! Here are some UK specs for vehicle weight from Parkers:

- 3.4 V6 GX 5d Auto: 1890 kg
        - 3.0 TD GX 5d Auto: 1970 kg
        - 3.0 D4-D GX 5d Auto: 2060 kg

This means that the 3.0 D4-D is 90kg heavier than the 3.0 TD!

So, if the Aussies didn't get this engine, and I don't think the Yanks got them either, and LC90's are not all the popular in the UK anyways, this means that I'm going to have a hard time finding aftermarket springs that are strong enough!

Any suggestions?

Comment

Hey glen_ep,

Thanks for the tips! To answer your questions...

1. I don't know yet what kind of 4x4 driving I will be doing. The last time I did this was many years ago, and the most challenging runs were rocky trails in the mountains. On these runs, I would usually travel in groups where most of the rigs had 3+ inches of lift, 33+ inch tires. Half the folks had ARB lockers in the front. I wasn't as well equipped, so I would occasionally struggle on some of the obstacles, to the point of having to use the winch.

3. I haven't thought much about a body lift. I would think the only point of that would be to fit bigger tires. And, the question then becomes, if I fit more than 33 inches, what effect would that have on my torque, automatic shift points, and ability to fit an ARB front locker. I've seen folks snap front axles (half shafts). And, I don't want the lift to turn into a major project! After all, most of the time, I'll be driving this on the motorway and city streets.

6. Is dropping the front diff easier than a body lift? If so, I think my preference would be for that.

BlueRock

Comment

Depending on how you drop the diff, it can be a major under taking.

A full 40mm diff drop will require mods to the transmission cross member as the front prop shaft will foul on it.
            [B]Declan[/B]: [SIZE=1]1997 GXL 4.5 Auto 80 series on [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]LPG[/COLOR][/B], ARB bullbar, 2" OME lift, 32" MTZ, GME UHF, rear ARB locker, Kaymar spare wheel carrier[/SIZE]
            [B]PLANNED[/B]: [SIZE=1]3 or 4" suspension lift, 2" body lift (maybe), winch, 35" MTZ + roadies, front locker, sliders, cylinder head rebuilt for [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]LPG[/COLOR][/B], Garret [COLOR="#4499ff"][B]Turbocharger[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by BlueRock
              Hey glen_ep,

Thanks for the tips! To answer your questions...

1. I don't know yet what kind of 4x4 driving I will be doing. The last time I did this was many years ago, and the most challenging runs were rocky trails in the mountains. On these runs, I would usually travel in groups where most of the rigs had 3+ inches of lift, 33+ inch tires. Half the folks had ARB lockers in the front. I wasn't as well equipped, so I would occasionally struggle on some of the obstacles, to the point of having to use the winch.

3. I haven't thought much about a body lift. I would think the only point of that would be to fit bigger tires. And, the question then becomes, if I fit more than 33 inches, what effect would that have on my torque, automatic shift points, and ability to fit an ARB front locker. I've seen folks snap front axles (half shafts). And, I don't want the lift to turn into a major project! After all, most of the time, I'll be driving this on the motorway and city streets.

6. Is dropping the front diff easier than a body lift? If so, I think my preference would be for that.

BlueRock
              1. If you intend on keeping up with vehicles like that, without damage, you'll need to match the average. 33" and a locker.

3. Yes, bigger tyres will slow your city driving down and chew more fuel, but see point one - what's more important? Only you can decide.

6. Of course a diff drop (alone) is easier than a body lift, but a diff drop won't help you unless you spend the huge amount of time and money to follow up with other mods, eg,
              - A body lift is a cheap and almost complete solution; 1.5" to 2" of additional body clearance to allow larger tyres to fit. The kit in UK comes with a steering spacer, the only thing missing is gearstick mods (if required).
              - Whilst the diff drop is one small component of a big 2-3" suspension lift - which is a major project. Have you read the "The 90 series suspension upgrade guide"? There's a big list of mods required in order to do 2-3" suspension lifts properly. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11104

Given you don't want a major project, I would advise a standard <2" sus, 1-2" body and 33" tyres.
              Forget the 2-3" suspension and save those thousands of dollars for the very expensive UK fuel!

Comment

Here's an update on my quest...

1. Ironman 4x4

Received a reply from Paul @ West Coast 4x4. He has clarified what Ironman means by 'Height Adjustable Strut.' To 'adjust' them, it is necessary to remove the strut, disassemble it, and insert a collar that sits under the lower coil mount. The collars come in 10mm and 15mm thicknesses, which translate to 1/4 to 1/2 inch of extra lift. There's no way to reduce the lift.

Grrr, that doesn't sound very appealing...

2. Sway-A-Way

So, I called up Sway-A-Way, in the US. They have coil-over strut kits that fit into the 3rd generation 4Runner, which I understand has the same suspension and chassis. These come with 650 lb/inch springs, 13 inches long (uncompressed), nitro gas shocks that can be re-charged, re-valved, re-built, etc. The strut has a threaded section so that you can adjust the height by rotating the collar at the base of the spring using a special spanner wrench. I've used these before, and from my recollection, it is possible to adjust them while they are mounted, although you might need to droop the wheel to relieve the pressure (and gain better access). Nominal adjustment range is from 0 to 3 inches of lift, but that range will shift based on the weight of your front end.

I asked if they could substitute heavier springs, and the answer was YES! They can substitute a 14 inch 700 lb/inch spring. That means the strut assembly will be preloaded. And, he figured it would give a minimum of 1 inch lift, based on the numbers I gave him (i.e., 1 inch to 4 inch adjustment range). I still need to re-do my calculations—they are very shaky, right now. Also, note that this substitution is only available in the 2.5 inch shocks (not the cheaper 2 inch shocks).

Cost? US $1,065 for the pair. I'd need to add international shipping and VAT, and possibly duty. Grrrr.

So, I'm still undecided as to what to do. I'll need to do some more research. And, get some more accurate numbers, to refine my calculations. The most critical number is the difference between the *sprung* weight of the front end of the 4Runner V6 Petrol vs. LC90 D4-D Diesel. I'm figuring this is 200kg, but I'm not really sure.

BlueRock

Comment

I'm beginning to see a sinister pattern here...

1. All of the following coilover struts are ADJUSTABLE
                  - Pro Comp Fox Shox
                  - Icon Vehicle Dynamics
                  - ToyTec
                  - Sway-A-Way

2. All of the following coilover struts are NON-ADJUSTABLE
                  - ARB / Old Man Emu
                  - Ironman (despite what they claim)
                  - Dobinsons
                  - TJM
                  - Tough Dog

What's the pattern? All of companies with the 'adjustable' struts are American. All of the companies with the 'non-adjustable' struts are Australian. What's going on here? What gives? Don't Aussies like to tweak knobs too?

The adjustment mechanism on the American models are all basically the same: The collar that presses against the bottom of the spring is threaded, and can be rotated using a spanner wrench. This allows approximately 3 inches of effective adjustment (at the wheel). But, the American models are more expensive.

The cheapest adjustable one I have found (thus far) is from ToyTec:

3. ToyTec Coil Overs (95.5-04 Taco & 96-02 4RUN)

The adjustment range is 0 to 3.5 inches, and the springs available are either 600 or 650 lb/inch. I asked if they can do 700, and they said no, 650 is the max. But, they are only US $739.99, for the pair. Also, shipping is a bit awkward, as they don't ship outside US/Canada. So, you need to make your own shipping arrangements. I think this will be too weak for the LC90 D4-D.

BlueRock

Comment

Tough Dogs come in adjustable also.
                    However, the main manufacturers (TJM, OME, EFS), do not make adjustable shocks for any vehicle, and there are many reasons for this is, it is a very common fault of the other brands that they start to leak from the adjusting knob, this reduces the reliability of the shock, and in OZ we can be many many thousands of k's from civilisation. The knob also gets broken off if a rock touches it, causing a leak. And one that I have seen personally is, the driver gets sick and tyred of getting under the vehicle (and getting dirty), to adjust the knobs, they just end up leaving them at the one setting.
                    97 VX Grande, with front & rear air lockers, ARB Sahara winch bar with tigers 11 winch, 2" EFS lift, 265/75/16 Achilles Desert hawk XMT, and more.

[B]Bitumen - A blatant waste of taxpayers money![/B]

Comment

I'd say another reason Aus doesn't have the height adjustable "coilovers" because there's insufficient demand in our market for big IFS lifts. Aussies wanting big lift's tend to go for the traditional solid axle vehicles, like the Patrol, older Landcruisers (not the Prado), and some Hilux's. That's where the market has traditionally been, so thats where all the research and development goes.

Anyway.. that pattern your seeing was already detailed in the 90s suspension guide. Only the adjustable coilovers from USA take you beyond 2", and if you go down that path YOU'LL NEED MANY OTHER MODS!

PS - other places can supply/ship the Toytec/Bilstein coilovers.

Comment

Update...

I've ordered my lift kit. It should arrive in a few days. I plan to install it next weekend.

I decided to go with OME front and back (882/892). I still think the Sway-A-Ways (with the substituted springs) would be better in the front, but that would effectively double the price of the lift. So, I'll leave that as a future upgrade option. Hopefully, the height of the front will turn out all right. I might need to install the winch sooner than planned, if it's too high.

BlueRock

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                        mencisport.com
                        antalya escort
                        tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                        deneme bonusu veren siteler
                        gaziantep escort
                        gaziantep escort
                        asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                        erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                        atasehir escort tuzla escort
                        sikis sex hatti