Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" Exhausts And Cat Converters.

Hi All.

I'm looking into getting a 3" exhaust installed, but I'm quickly getting waaay out of my depth. Thanks must go to Leachy who's been helping me out so far via email. Big Cheers mate!

Now. Until Leachy mentioned it, I had no idea that modern diesels have catalytic converters fitted. Though reading through some old PP threads I also found this out. You learn something new every day. But! I've been right under there looking at my stock exhaust line and didn't notice anything.

Question (1) Where the heck are the catalytic converters located on D4D's?

Now, I got the following reply from Manta when I enquired about the Exhaust system they make.
    Thanks for enquiring about the Manta system for your Prado. We do a system with or without a diesel purifier, your vehicle comes with one standard. What do you require? It is not law yet to have one fitted if you replace the exhaust system! Our systems carry a 10 year warranty and are of an excellent quality. Your price on the system in S/S with a hiflow purifier is $1780. Without a hiflow purifier is $1420. These prices include fitting. ARB in Osborne Park are starting to sell some of the Manta product. Ask for XXX in the workshop he will be able to assist. If you don’t have any success don’t hesitate to ring us on XXX XXX XXX, I could arrange it in the CanningVale area. The system takes approx 2.5 hours to fit.

Question (2) Is the 'Diesel Purifier' they're talking about the same thing as a catalytic converter? If so, it is true I don't have to legally fit one?

Next! Something I read about when looking into Catalytic Converters on Diesels. From the 4WD Action Forums.

Members problem stated as follows.
    Hi - Last week my 2006 D4D SR5's engine light came on while i was driving and it lost all power. I pulled over switched it off for a few minutes and restarted it again and the light turned off and it was fine. The other day it did it again!
    I plugged the scanner into it to see what trouble code it has registered and it has come up with the following code:

P1251 (34) - Turbocharger stepper motor circuit (intermittent)

Later
    Ok, I replaced the turbo with a brand new one and two days after i installed it, the same error has come up and the car went into limp mode. After I switch it off and restart it, the cars fine. Cant be the turbo! Any ideas what else could be cuasing this?

Members reply stated as follows
    I posted your problem on newhilux.net to get others opinions and a couple of the blokes said the same thing...with out the cat, it will overboost and go into limp mode...its not the 3" exhaust system that had caused you the problem, as many people run 3" exhausts without any problems...its the fact that you dont have a cat and you need that little bit of restriction in the system.

Id go and fit a cat mate, and your problem will be gone.

Question (3) Do I need a Catalytic Converter fitted, to avoid the above scenario, or otherwise?

Thanks for any help offered. Once again I've hit an area I know little to nothing about.
    [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Re: 3" Exhausts And Cat Converters.

Well, I can answer question 2, partly.

Got this reply from Manta today.
    Yes the diesel purifier is the diesel equivalent of a cat convertor.
    [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Comment

I spoke to the exhaust place that will be fitting my free flow muffler and they advised as follows:

Q1 - the CT is just off the engine pipe
      Q2 - Yes
      Q3 - He said, if it has a CAT then you should retain it. You can get better flow CATs to match the new exhaust. He did suggest that it probably isn't worth going 3" with the CAT, as the CAT is too restrictive and will reduce any benefit of the 3" pipe. He suggested either stay with the 2.5" or 2.75" with free flow muffler and better flowing CAT.

I have the 1kz-te and he talked me out of a complete new system (unless I insisted) in favour of a free flow muffler and chip. Believe me it gets very confusing and opinions abound.
      Black 2003, TD, GXL Prado

Comment

Thanks Prado BB.

You're not wrong about differing opinions. :? Here was I thinking all this would be simple no brainer. Surely though if you had a High Flow Cat along with the 3" exhaust you'd be ahead? Right? If you used the old cat then yes I can see you'd essentially be back where you started. Same as if you didn't replace the dump pipe off the turbo with a larger one.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Taipan 3" system as it comes as a whole unit with cat converter included. Had a good chat with a bloke about them today. Expensive buggers though! Chip can come later if I ever get any money built up again.

Slowly getting my head around it all!

Comment

That sounds like a good plan to me IP. Taipan appear to know what they're on about. If I were doing just exhaust I would have gone with Taipan or Beaudesert. When are you having it installed? Keep us posted on how it all goes.

Comment

The battle is finding someone who can do the job on a Saturday. :? Most exhaust shops appear to be no openo on Saturdays. If I have to wait for my next day off work so I can book in mid week, then I might be waiting a while. I'm ringing around at the moment to see who can get me sorted. So hopefully it'll happen soon.

Comment

Hi IRON-PAWW,

Can you give us an indication of the cost of the Taipan exhaust?
              so far:
              the Manta $1780 fitted, 3" stainless steel, with hiflow purifier.
              I got a price from Roo Systems, $1695 (409 3" stainless steel) / with catalytic converter, + $850 for ceramic coating (if you want it), + $100 freight, + fitting costs, and they will reprogram my existing tunit chip free.
              Anyone got any experience with Beaudesert Exhausts?
              2014 Kakadu V6, HR Towbar, MSA seat covers, Scan Guage II.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                I have had a $1,450.00 price stated for a Taipan system with 3" ceramic dump pipe and 3"system free flow cat and ??turbo muffler or free flowing anyway, fitted to the "wife's 08 D4D 120.
                Cheers
                Dennis
                Dirtyprado 08 GX D4D 3lt Auto -OME sports 2"in lift Safari snokel BFG 265/70/17 LT A/T's(the Wifes)
                I drive a 03 GU 3lt Patrol

Comment

I got two quotes here In WA for the Taipan XP Mild steel system. One for $1650.00 and the other for $1750.00. That price included fitting in both instances. I got one quote for the Taipan XP stainless steel system at $2500.00. I was extremely close to signing up with the $1650.00 place but didn't in the end. The Taipan exhausts are made in QLD, so I guess they'll be more expensive here straight off the bat.

After a bit of thought I booked in with a semi-local muffler workshop who get a lot of 4X4 business through Perth 4x4, who are close by to them. The made on the spot system will cost me $1200.00 and includes 3" pipe right through including dump pipe off turbo. Also High flow purifier and less restrictive muffler. Carline Grapnel Mufflers in Balcatta if anyone in Perth is interested. A big part of that decision though was the fact I could have it done on a Saturday.

It's tough for someone like me to really know though. What's good about the Taipan / Manta systems is that they're complete units that others have tried and tested, and have good reports about. Going custom certainly leaves a questionmark in that regard because the system you end up with hasn't been given the tick of approval by anyone else.

I'll give it a go and report back how it all turns out.

Comment

Good stuff IP, good price too. Is it mandrel bent? Don't forget to ask them to install a provision for EGT gauge in the dump pipe.

Comment

Yeah - all mandrel bent. But! As of this weekend I'm considering calling the whole thing off :evil:

When I queried this weekend about what exactly would be done, turns out they have no intention of upgrading the dump pipe. :evil: Says the Toyota one is good enough. :?

Pretty sure I made it clear what I wanted but maybe not as well as I thought.

Said the Toyota dump is pretty good and not too restrictive....... etc etc etc. Keep it stock to keep Toyota happy..... etc etc etc. No real benefit in doing it...... etc etc etc.....

What the heck is the point of upgrading the rest of the system to 3" and leave the Dump as is? Sure, I'll get the benefit from the High-flow Cat and the free flowing muffler. The 3" pipe off the dump might even free up the rest system from there on, providing another small benefit. But won't the original dump pipe keep the whole thing strangled????? Queried another muffler place, who were pretty cagey I have to admit (Unless I was going to be a paying client then forget the info), but said going out to a full 3" can cause problems with 'Engine Management', resulting in a series of fault codes popping up. :?: :?: :?: :?: Said that many places won't touch the dump pipes because replacing them 'isn't as easy as it looks' (their words). Maybe they're right. I have no idea.

This Idea or situation of 'faults' being generated due to addition of full 3" systems does seem to kick up every now and again just reading through some forums and querying people, as in the first post I put up, although that was for a Hilux. But no solid info as yet on what the real story is on that score.

It's all stuff I just don't know enough about and am a bit lost about what to do. Others have the full 3" system without issue so that's definitely something to consider. OR do I play it safe and accept a lesser (I'm guessing) benefit by keeping the current dump pipe. What would the difference in performance be? I guess only a Dyno can answer that

Right now, I'm seriously considering ringing on Monday, cancelling, and going back to the Taipan. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Comment

Yeah it gets that way IP. That's kind of what happened to me. In the end I settled for just a free flow - straight through muffler and a Tunit chip, very happy with the results.

Comment

IP mate I can't tell you what to do but you have to be happy, I have done a few mod to 4x4's over the years ,and when I did not go with what felt right I regretted it,
                          It's your car you need to be happy don't rush anything, take your time and think about it ,then you can regret a rushed decision at your leasure :evil:
                          Cheers
                          Dennis
                          Dirtyprado 08 GX D4D 3lt Auto -OME sports 2"in lift Safari snokel BFG 265/70/17 LT A/T's(the Wifes)

Comment

Well, yeah, I have to be happy with it true enough. I guess I never thought the waters would be this muddy. Is there a benefit in changing the dump pipe or isn't there? Seems the answer isn't that simple. This muffler place is well respected, so I read, so I guess they must be doing something right. I also found that you can actually buy dump pipes fabbed up for Prado's as a separate item. Such as below from Eng-Tek

http://www.eng-tek.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=221

However the price tag is a bit tough to take. But I'm sure others might do something similar for a better price. However, it's an option. Do the dump pipe later if I find out down the track that things aren't as I wanted. With a chip added at a later stage, I think I'll get some extra performance in any case. Got to be realistic too, even a modest gain will suit me well enough. It's just that I don't like being taken for a ride (like most of us) so I get as informed as I can before shelling out for something like this.

There really seems to be two schools of thought with this. Those who say that changing out a Prado dump pipe for a bigger one is pointless, as the stock ones aren't restrictive. And those who say that not swapping it out will essentially make it a bottleneck in the system, and not allow anything near the benefit you'd get from swapping it.

Only a Dyno shootout would solve it I think.

Booked in on Sat still, so I'm pondering it.

Comment

I-Paw,
                              I'm paying $1,450 fitted for a Taipan system,with a ceramic coated 3"dump pipe and the rest you know, I think the Dump helps the Turbo spool up better helping the flat spot my "wife's D4D" has when you boot it trying to get going quickly from a standing start, you said $1,650 for the same Taipan system in perth was that Fitted ? have you tryed the local ARB people ?
                              they seem to have a finger on the Pulse of what works and what don't,most times it sounds like the Heart has setled on the Taipan,but the brain is still looking for the best deal.
                              $200.00 for freight from Queensland is not to bad, Have you called Taipan ? they were realy helpful to me.
                              As for the $585.00 or what ever dump pipe sound's a bit Expensive for what it is to me, just my 2 Drackmas worth.
                              Cheers
                              Dennis

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort