PDA

View Full Version : Prado 03 compression values

marocdoc
30-12-2009, 08:57 PM
New member here,

I am buying a used 03 Prado VX in Morocco to use, which is a tricky place to buy a used car... ie no service histories/ altered kilometres etc. I want to do an engine compression test, but cannot find the normal values to look for, either searching this site or the web. Does anyone know where i can find them. I think the engine will be a 1KZ-TE.

Also any tips to how to check if the kilometre reading is true?

Many thanks

clifton
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
New member here,

I am buying a used 03 Prado VX in Morocco to use, which is a tricky place to buy a used car... ie no service histories/ altered kilometres etc. I want to do an engine compression test, but cannot find the normal values to look for, either searching this site or the web. Does anyone know where i can find them. I think the engine will be a 1KZ-TE.

Also any tips to how to check if the kilometre reading is true?

Many thanks
Hi Marocdoc, check out this site http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/pdf/Toyota_1KZ-TE_manual.pdfit is also an early 1kz-te engine, data cannot guarantee the info but it should be close the earlier engines that had a pretty high compression ratio of 21:1 from memory.
If Mick L was around he could probably clarify.
Hope this helps a little :) :) :)

marocdoc
07-01-2010, 07:11 AM
many thanks for that link.

In the end the toyota mechanic here declined to do a formal compression test on each cylinder, but just hooked the vehicle up to some sort of computer which said "engine ok". I have no idea what this computer actually looked at. Any ideas? Is this as useful as a compression test?

Thanks for the advice!

clifton
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
many thanks for that link.

In the end the toyota mechanic here declined to do a formal compression test on each cylinder, but just hooked the vehicle up to some sort of computer which said "engine ok". I have no idea what this computer actually looked at. Any ideas? Is this as useful as a compression test?

Thanks for the advice!
Hi Marodoc,
I would push for a wet and dry compression test Wet= add small amount of oil to each cylinder conduct compression test check result IAW maintenance manual, Dry= conduct compression test check result IAW maintenance manual, most dealers will only conduct a Dry compression test as this normally gives a general indication of piston ring/ cylinder bore wear. The Wet compression test addition of oil partially seals the piston ring to cylinder bore clearances and highlights any intake and exhaust valve seat leaks/ wear.
Running an (OBD) on board diagnostics scanner over your engine ECU (computer) and finding no fault codes and saying your engine is OK seems to be the norm for a lot of dealers these days but unless your mechanic indicates what tests he conducted with the computer scanner and there are many, I would still conduct at least a dry compression test as it will give a good indication to the mechanic of the level of Piston to cylinder bore wear.
There are many things to check on a second hand vehicle engine with no known history but hopefully your mechanic has inspected your engine and vehicle thoroughly.
Hope this helps :) :) :)