PDA

View Full Version : Injection pump timing (1KZ-TE)

KZJ90
19-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Has anyone adjusted the injection timing (1KZ-TE)? I think I could try to adjust it a little bit earlier. For the power and the fuel economy, you know. :wink: Toyota might be adjusted it for emission laws, not for optimal power.

I know there is a punching line and upper processing surface which should be aligned. Little bit more space between those... to the upper edge? Would it make couple degrees or even 5?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/196/pumpunennakonstlive.jpg

MickL
19-08-2009, 10:18 AM
For the power and the fuel economy, you know.

First of all, you have to choose what you want: performance or economy. Unfortunately you can't have both.

Decreasing timing will result in better emissions and fuel economy at the expense of power.

Increasing the timing results in increased cylinder pressures and higher peak flame temperatures which leads to a more complete burn of the fuel injected.
Off boost performance increases however you will have increased turbo lag. It also increases cylinder pressures (which obviously won't show on a boost gauge but cause significant stress increases)

The effect on emissions is significant the NOx level increases dramatically past just a couple of degrees of advance and brake specific fuel consumption drops off quickly as well.

Have you increased fueling and boost? much better result than dicking with pump timing. Pump timing should be though of more as a "fine" tuning.

You'll need a boost gauge and pyro as a minimum before doing boost/fuel mods. Timing is best done in congunction with a dyno run and NOx/hydrocarbon/carbon monoxide readings (not just for emissions but to know whats happening in the cylinder/burn)

Mick

KZJ90
19-08-2009, 06:02 PM
First of all, you have to choose what you want: performance or economy. Unfortunately you can't have both.

I donīt swallow that... :?

Have you increased fueling and boost? much better result than dicking with pump timing. Pump timing should be though of more as a "fine" tuning.

You'll need a boost gauge and pyro as a minimum before doing boost/fuel mods. Timing is best done in congunction with a dyno run and NOx/hydrocarbon/carbon monoxide readings (not just for emissions but to know whats happening in the cylinder/burn)

I have adjusted the spill control valve: http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14193 And I have van Aaken Smartbox. The boost is about 0.85 bar.

I also have the boost and EGT-gauges. So, Iīm doing "fine" tuning. The injectors are now in the garage, they install new nozzles and adjust opening pressure to 160 bar.

And by the way, Iīm using vegetable oil/diesel blend 50/50%.

KZJ90
20-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Now itīs adjusted. I moved the pump upwards about 2 mm. I calculated it makes about 2 degrees more advance. Should be ok, I think.

Iīll tell you how it behaves, after I get the new cylinder head at itīs place.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2065/ennakonstjlkeen.jpg

MickL
20-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I read your post on the Surf forum with some interest.
It seems your pump is a little different to ours. While yours is fitted with a manually set Spill valve, on the Australian Prado 1kz it’s an electronic valve with its modulation controlled by the ECU.

Also the Australian 1kz has a pump timing sensor, not sure if your pump has this. I'm interested to see if changing the base timing as you have makes a significant difference or if the ECU will compensate for the adjustment to some extent?

Mick

KZJ90
20-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I read your post on the Surf forum with some interest.
It seems your pump is a little different to ours. While yours is fitted with a manually set Spill valve, on the Australian Prado 1kz it’s an electronic valve with its modulation controlled by the ECU.

Also the Australian 1kz has a pump timing sensor, not sure if your pump has this. I'm interested to see if changing the base timing as you have makes a significant difference or if the ECU will compensate for the adjustment to some extent?

Mick

I think itīs the same pump or similar. Mine is controlled by ECU, as yours. There goes wires in the spill control valve, there is a hat on the screw, thatīs why you may not recognize it.

There is the Timing Control Valve too and everything else you can see in Toyota 1KZ-TE Engine Repair Manual (Aug., 1999). I think you have downloaded it too.
I think that the ECU can adjust the timing by Timing Control Valve by information which other sensors give to it. But it seems that the ECU canīt know where the zero point (basic setting) of the pump is.

MickL
20-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I think it’s the same pump or similar. Mine is controlled by ECU, as yours. There goes wires in the spill control valve, there is a hat on the screw, that’s why you may not recognize it.

The pumps are similar but the spill control valve on mine is different. Extra fuelling on mine could only be achieved with a piggy back computer. I believe yours is a mechanical valve (hence the provision for adjustment) with the wires being for the fuel cut off. The version on my pump is an electrical solenoid with no means of mechanical adjustment.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z221/mickl_photos/Prado%20point/P1020127.jpg

Mick

KZJ90
20-08-2009, 05:53 PM
The pumps are similar but the spill control valve on mine is different. Extra fuelling on mine could only be achieved with a piggy back computer. I believe yours is a mechanical valve (hence the provision for adjustment) with the wires being for the fuel cut off. The version on my pump is an electrical solenoid with no means of mechanical adjustment.

Oh well, it really is different. Your car is so much newer (mine is -96).

MickL
20-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Your car is so much newer

I've done some more investigating and I'm led to believe there was a change in engine management/pump control around 2000 and one around 2003 for the fly by wire throttle and variable EGR valve controlled by the ecu.

Just for the sake of being curious; I have access to a 98 KZN185 so I'll check out it's pump tomorrow.

Mick

MickL
28-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I have access to a 98 KZN185 so I'll check out it's pump tomorrow.

Finally got around to this :roll: KZN185 and Hilux is same set up as yours:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z221/mickl_photos/Prado%20point/IMG_4519Small.jpg

Mick

KZJ90
28-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I have access to a 98 KZN185 so I'll check out it's pump tomorrow.

Finally got around to this :roll: KZN185 and Hilux is same set up as yours: [pic]

Mick

Yes, it looks exactly similar compared to mine. Just the hat off and one turn more, and the joy begins. :D

I have forgot to tell how it goes after pump timing adjustment. Well, itīs ok, little less low end torque, but it goes easier at highway speeds (80> km/h). The fuel consumption is about 5% lower than before. The idle is a little bit sharper.

Iīm happy with results.

nana0665
24-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Guys. This is one of the best posts I read on 1kzTE. I've got a second hand KZJ95 with the same pump. I am tempted to turn it anti clock wise since I always thought the fuel burn is too high. Over 3000RPM it always throws black smoke with the turbo lag.

I am a bit scared to drop the spraying pressure. I also feel the idle will jurk. What are your views?

Regards

AN

Talktheroo
24-06-2011, 09:27 PM
First things first. Make sure your injectors are fresh. Anything outside the 100,000 kms used mark should be replaced. The E in 1KZ-TE stands for electronic which you probably already know. This means the ECU controls the fuel pump and by taking the timing away from the manufactured scribe mark on the timing case will mean that the timing will be corrected by the ECU on the increase or the decrease. Outside of the ECU range and you could be in real trouble in the way of to much combustion, either fuel or/and air which will place stress on the head leading to cracking in the combustion chamber usually in number 3. You really need to use a dyno for this type of work as it takes all the guess work out of it and the associated costs with replacing the head, usually around $2300.00 for parts plus your labour. Anything with E, eg. 1HD-FTE, 5L-E, 1KZ-TE, etc., needs to have a computer attached with the correct software to see what is going on internally so the right decision can be made on where the timing should be placed on the pump. The movement if any will only be slight either way from the factory mark. Usually the timing will change when you fit a performance module and a 3" hi flow exhaust system to your vehicle and that's when you want to put it on a dyno test machine. Most of the time it will fall near the factory scribe mark anyway as this is measured in very tiny adjustments as in fine tuning. So unless you are going to install as above, leave the timing of the fuel pump on the factory scribe mark as this will insure longevity of your engine. It will make sure that the tolerances on the design for internal temperatures are within the limits or range on the cylinder walls, the pistons, the cylinder head which is critical, the big end bearings, the oil, etc, etc, etc....
Hope this helps, The Roo.