PDA

View Full Version : Reverse camera integration with existing vehicle wiring.

4tshorty
24-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Pradopointers,

I have been asked about the existing vehicle wiring for the reverse camera in Prado's, so I thought I'd put it here with photos.
My car is a 2008 model GXL, but I believe that the wiring exists for all 120 series Prado's

*WARNING* Lots of photos, so download could be slow!!

Wiring in the front connector and what I used it for.

1.Black (-ground camera)
2.White (camera video shield wire)
3.Red (+12 Volt camera - obtained from reverse wire in front left hand kick panel Red wire with Black trace)
4.Yellow (camera video centre wire)

Wiring in the rear connector and what I used it for.

1.Black (-ground camera)
3.White with Black dot (+12 Volt camera) you may have to slice open black insulation covering all 4 wires to find the dot.
4.Brown (camera video centre wire)

I have shown in these pictures what you need to do in the tailgate end to get it all working and I will add pictures of the front install when I install my bosses unit (I didn't photograph mine)
[attachment=1:1951o7ci]IMG_3469 v2.JPG[/attachment:1951o7ci]
[attachment=2:1951o7ci]IMG_3452v2.JPG[/attachment:1951o7ci]
[attachment=0:1951o7ci]IMG_3453v2.JPG[/attachment:1951o7ci]

4tshorty
24-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi again,
I couldn't seem to get more photos to load so here they are!
[attachment=2:3t5pbr47]IMG_3471v2.JPG[/attachment:3t5pbr47]
[attachment=1:3t5pbr47]IMG_3475v2.JPG[/attachment:3t5pbr47]

4tshorty
24-06-2009, 08:23 PM
And more!
[attachment=2:190a0usl]IMG_3480v2.JPG[/attachment:190a0usl]
[attachment=1:190a0usl]IMG_3481v2.JPG[/attachment:190a0usl]
[attachment=0:190a0usl]IMG_3490v2.JPG[/attachment:190a0usl]

4tshorty
24-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Bit out of sync, but this is how to do the outside camera part.
[attachment=2:qy09gq03]IMG_3470v2.JPG[/attachment:qy09gq03]
[attachment=1:qy09gq03]IMG_3484v2.JPG[/attachment:qy09gq03]
[attachment=0:qy09gq03]IMG_3486v2.JPG[/attachment:qy09gq03]

4tshorty
24-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Last part of camera install!
[attachment=1:2w3n713d]IMG_3488v2.JPG[/attachment:2w3n713d]
[attachment=0:2w3n713d]IMG_3492v2.JPG[/attachment:2w3n713d]

As said earlier, I will post up the head unit install later when it arrives.

Cheers, Mat

metro09
25-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Absolute pearler cheers!

stewy
25-06-2009, 09:37 PM
G'day 4tshorty,

Excellent instructions, well done. What Camera and Screen did you go for?
I've been looking for a good value for money rear camera system.

4tshorty
29-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Stewy,

I actually bought a Digi Options TP09XL in dash DVD/CD and Satnav for our car and it has the reverse camera input inbuilt.
This unit is quite popular here on Pradopoint now, because of the price and features.
If you wanted to run just a screen, pretty much any unit would adapt to the above instructions, but you would have to work out where to put the screen, which is why we went the way we did.

Cheers, Mat

rbuljo
30-06-2009, 02:45 PM
nice write up. will this work on a original navigation screen? i`ve bought a video interface from gsmserver to use with a rear camera, but it will not fit my car.
http://www.gsmserver.com/shop/car/gvif_ ... gf08tw.php (http://www.gsmserver.com/shop/car/gvif_interface_for_land_rover_lexus_ver_5_1_gf08tw .php)

is there any way i can connect my already installed rear camera into existing wiring behind the original navigation unit?

4tshorty
30-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Rbuljo,

From what I've seen and read online before, you could use the wiring behind the stereo unit into the factory Toyota SATNAV unit, as long as you found out what each wire does at the SATNAV end connector and wire it to the correct wires at the camera end.
I would imagine that, like most setups, two wires would be the camera power and the other two would be the camera video, but check with a local Toyota dealer as they should be able to tell what each one does at the SATNAV unit.
I will try and find out myself, as I have a mate at a local Toyota dealer, and let you know what Info I can dig up.

Cheers, Mat

rbuljo
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
ah, thank you shorty. will try to contact my toyota dealer, but they are hopeless here. they can only change oil and adjust headlights it seems! :D but will try, let me know if you find out anything. would be great to get the rear camera up and working without have to buy another video interface.

Admiral
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Mat

Thanks for going to the effort of posting this write up. I am trying to install a reversing camera to an after market in dash GPS without going to the hassle of routing wires from the dash to tail gate. If there are existing connections through I would rather use them!

A couple of questions:

1. In the text you mention the reverse wire is located in the LHS kick panel but the photo refers to the RHS. Which is correct or is there one on both sides?

2. You appear to be using the yellow wire in the front connector for video, which some how must be connected to a brown wire in the tail gate to provide a continuos connection for video from back to front. Is this correct. It does seem a bit odd that the wire starts asa brwon wire in teh back and then is a yellow wire in the front (or am I missing something?)

Thanks in advance

Tim

4tshorty
02-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Tim,

The Reverse wire is below the Left Hand Side kickpanel, and I have corrected my error!

The wiring also does change colours thru the car somewhere, sounds strange but isn't uncommon.

Cheers, Mat

Admiral
02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks again Mat

By the way my camera only has + and - and video wires. No video sheild wire -what is this for?

Cheers

Tim

4tshorty
03-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi Tim,

Most video leads look like they are just one cable, but they actually have 2 lots of wiring in them.
There is a centre conductor wire, which is then insulated from the next lot of wire which is your shield wire, which then has another lot of insulation over it.
If you have had a look at some TV or Radio coax, it's pretty much the same principle.

Cheers, Mat

MickL
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Mat,

Thanks for this write up and pictures. Sure saves a lot of work.

Cheers,

Mick

rbuljo
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
can anyone see where i can connect in a reverse camera in my navigation?

my navigation system
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/rbuljo/LC120/Display_unit4.jpg

behind lcd
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/rbuljo/LC120/Display_unit.jpg

the connectors behind lcd
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc344/rbuljo/LC120/Display_unit2.jpg

4tshorty
06-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Got me buggered that one!
That spare socket looks more for a CD changer.

Cheers, Mat

rbuljo
07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
after googling a bit, it looks like this is the video input spare socket, check the plugs on tvandnav`s video interface:
http://www.tvandnav.com/ProductImages/TLVAM.JPG

migt be just this, where to get a plug that fits? or a way to work around this, any ideas?

shaneb
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks 4tshorty for this info - it's really good!

I'm hoping I can use it for my install, but....

Does anyone know if these spare wires through to the rear door exist in all 120 series' or just the later ones? I have just bought the Digioptions unit and am about to install it in my 06 Pilbara.

Thanks.

MickL
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know if these spare wires through to the rear door exist in all 120 series' or just the later ones?

No. I can't vouch for which year and models do ....but pre Nov 2005 GXL's don't have it.

Mick

shaneb
08-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Does anyone know if these spare wires through to the rear door exist in all 120 series' or just the later ones?

No. I can't vouch for which year and models do ....but pre Nov 2005 GXL's don't have it.

Mick

Thanks Mick. I'll be pulling the cover off the rear door anyway, so I'll find out then. Would be handy if it's there though....

Shane

Pradopraz
24-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Just for everyone's information. I have a 2007 GXL 120 series and I went to install my camera as per this thread but there is no existing plug inside the rear door as shown in the photos. I am just going to tap into the right rear reverse light wiring next to the door hinge and run it through, bugger, would have been nice.

photoprado
24-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Are you sure? It's taped out of the way...

My 2008 GXL has it...

Michael

Pradopraz
24-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I had a pretty darn good look. Now you've got me thinking I didnt look hard enough, I gonna look again. 99 percent sure it's not there. Doh.

Tony0
24-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Here is an image of the plug
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3852260698_37027ca7b4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41514028@N00/3852260698/)

I cannot seem to get it to work so here is the link also

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41514028@N00/3852260698/

Tony

Pradopraz
26-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeh, mine definitely didnt have a plug there, 2007 GXL. I ran a wire through to the reverse light RHS. After all that the connections in my gps unit are dodgey and I cant get it to stay on anyways, I'm nearly over it.

stevie
31-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Folks,

I have an 09 GXL with the Toyota Satnav 26028. I'm wanting to install a reverse camera using the existing wiring as outlined in this thread. The problem I have is how do I connect to the Satnav unit? Does anyone know what plugs / wires I need to tap into? I have searched the forums high an low but cannot seem to find the answer. I have had the head unit out (as per lcool site) but but still can't figure out what needs to go where.

Any help and/or photos much appreciated.

Thanks
Stevie

comp.dad
01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I had a pretty darn good look. Now you've got me thinking I didnt look hard enough, I gonna look again. 99 percent sure it's not there. Doh.

Yea.. I have looked a few times.. Need to take more care and remain focused..

stevie
10-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Folks,

I have an 09 GXL with the Toyota Satnav 26028. I'm wanting to install a reverse camera using the existing wiring as outlined in this thread. The problem I have is how do I connect to the Satnav unit? Does anyone know what plugs / wires I need to tap into? I have searched the forums high an low but cannot seem to find the answer. I have had the head unit out (as per lcool site) but but still can't figure out what needs to go where.

Thanks
Stevie

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks
Stevie

chrisx
11-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks
Stevie

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks
Stevie

Stevie

I don't know about the existing wiring, but Polaris have a Camera and cable that attaches directly to the rear of the Sat Nav.

comp.dad
12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Pradopointers,

I have been asked about the existing vehicle wiring for the reverse camera in Prado's, so I thought I'd put it here with photos.
My car is a 2008 model GXL, but I believe that the wiring exists for all 120 series Prado's

*WARNING* Lots of photos, so download could be slow!!

Wiring in the front connector and what I used it for.

1.Black (-ground camera)
3.Red (+12 Volt camera - obtained from reverse wire in front left hand kick panel Red wire with Black trace)
4.Yellow (camera video centre wire)

Wiring in the rear connector and what I used it for.

1.Black (-ground camera)
3.White with Black dot (+12 Volt camera) you may have to slice open black insulation covering all 4 wires to find the dot.
4.Brown (camera video centre wire)

I have shown in these pictures what you need to do in the tailgate end to get it all working and I will add pictures of the front install when I install my bosses unit (I didn't photograph mine)

4tShorty... If I could post some credits... I would...

Half way through my install found a few tricks...

1: No need to undo / disconnect the air con control etc..

2: GPS point is in the 2008 model dash and easy to access.

3: Spare plug used to allow the ipod cable to drawn out as and if needed

4: As others keep talking about loose wires / plugs... I used my wife's hot glue gun to put a couple of dams on... Will hold teh plugs in place but allow me to remove if I have to..

5: Cables in the back door as you suggested..

6: No Purple wire in mine or the extra plugs... Spent nearly 2 hrs searching and pulling things apart.. Should have realised... If not there, then run a new cable :-)

PS.... Have to go and get some white clips... Buggers BROKE :-)

PS... How did you work all the out or do you have contacts ???? I had Toyota install a revercing Camera after market.. Boy did they do it the hard way...

PPS. A good high quality unit.. Thus along with my other system, this will also be up FS soon.

4tshorty
13-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Good to see all went well with your install.
Good suggestion regarding using a dab of hot glue to secure plugs in rear of unit.
I did the same inside the rear tailgate some time ago after the video plug came loose after a weekend trip.

Regards, Mat

comp.dad
15-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Good to see all went well with your install.
Good suggestion regarding using a dab of hot glue to secure plugs in rear of unit.
I did the same inside the rear tailgate some time ago after the video plug came loose after a weekend trip.

Regards, Mat

Also tape the spare plugs up high or they fall down and get caught in teh main cross member.. Opps... Then when you shove the system in it can cause problems...

I also ran the magnetic GPS pick up to the centre of the roof and fed it in via the door seal..

Work just got us Iphones (Yuck... What a pain to use and manage) and bugger me... They don't work and will not even accept a charge vis the ipod connector...

We live and learn....

PS. I kind of like to 1,2,3,4 distance pattern... But yet to see how well calibrated it is :-)

stevie
26-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Folks,

Well I finally got around to installing a reverse camera into my '09 GXL using the existing wiring. I have the Toyota accessory GPS unit model 26028 and after much searching the web on how to wire a camera into it (and not succeeding) I decided to go the safe option of using an Eclipse BEC108 with it's standard connectors. It turned out to be an extremely easy exercise:- I installed and plugged the camera (including all 7 meters of cabling) into the existing connector in the rear door. Behind the GPS unit in the dash I found the connector already mentioned in this thread as well as a corresponding connector that went into the back of the unit. I plugged them together and voila! I have a rear camera. I was intially told by Eclipse that I would need the FK1000 connector (@ 40bucks! for something that would be made for $2) but found in the end I didn't need this and returned it. For those wishing to do something similar with this head unit I reckon you could use any 5v reverse camera and wire it as per this thread but you won't need to tap into the reverse wire as per 4tshorty. You may not even need to pull out the dash as the connectors may already be connected together - just get a volt meter and check the voltage in the connector in the back door while the car is in reverse (without the engine running!!) I considered shortening the camera cable in the back door but I don't think it will make much diference (if any) to the image quality - it's pretty good as it is.

Anyway I hope this helps others who would like to do the same.

Regards
Stevie

Homer
16-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Thank you 4tshorty for posting this.
I installed my new head unit yesterday and today installed the reverse camera.
I was scratching my brain to find a tap point for the reverse sense in the cabin...bit of searching and I found you post...EXCELLENT! :)

Cheers
Paul

rabs
19-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Just for everyone's information. I have a 2007 GXL 120 series and I went to install my camera as per this thread but there is no existing plug inside the rear door as shown in the photos. I am just going to tap into the right rear reverse light wiring next to the door hinge and run it through, bugger, would have been nice.

I have 2007 GXL (Sep release) and the plug and wiring are installed. So must only be Late 2007 model and newer that have the wiring installed. Will attempt camera instalation soon...

Steptoe
27-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I am in the middle of my head unit and camera install, after reading this thread I eagerly went to the rear door to connect it up, only to be let down when I discovered mine doesn't have the wiring, BUMMER!! Mine is a July 2007 GXL diesel, so it seems to be pot luck as others here with 2007 GXL's have had the wiring.

D4D
27-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I think it is an '08 spec inclusion

peril
31-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Tried this in car wiring today in my 2008 GLX but had a short when wired as indicated (lots of shyte words came out my mouth at this point)? Murphys law that my Prado seems to be different in little ways, loom colours were the same but there is a change in the white and white dot I think? Anyway, seeing as I previously run a 4 core cable from from front to rear I used that, works fine now.

Just a heads up that not all Prados seem to be wired this way or perhaps mine has a short in this loom?

firegrunt
09-05-2014, 05:20 PM
The reverse cam wiring was a late sept 2007 spec change

JezC
17-10-2014, 04:29 PM
G'day all,
Well after a day routing a power wire and AV cable to the rear end I stumble across this thread,... that will teach me for nbot checking PP first hey;) anyway,.. I am about to do this tomorrow,.... I just pulled out the stereo,.. to try and find the plug for the camera behind it,... but couldn't see it,... is it in an obvious spot,. or is it tucked away,.... I have an '08 GXL, so I am assuming the wiring is there,...

Cheers Guy's
Jez

JezC
18-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Ok, well i found the plug,... couldn't see if for looking :) ,.. so i wired up the reverse camera, as in this thread,.. and wired up the from plug,.. and tapped off the reverse power under the LH kick panel,... but it's got me buggered,..... un able to get it to work,...

So,.. couple of questions
1. When tapping off the reverse wire under the LH kick panel, You are taking it up, and connecting it to the red wire on the front plug? if not,.. when do you run the power too,..???

2. My head unit, has a black wire from it, which is Battery -Ve / earth. can I tap the black wire from the front plug into this for the earth, or should I use a remote earthing point?

3. Does the shield wire actually do anything. The head unit I am using, has an input wire for a reverse camera, but is only single strand (i have checked by cutting it back), if i don't use the shielding wire, will this matter??

Cheers Guys,... I still have routed the supplied power cable and will use that If i have to, but i like this idea of using whats already wired in the car :)

JezC
16-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Ok,... well i don't know if anyone is following this anymore,.... but I disconnected the OEM harness, and just connected the Camera to the head unit via the supplied cabling. With regards the revers Wire,... just wanted to confirm,... it definitly is the red wire with black trace??,.....

I have routed the RCA cable from the camera to the head unit, I have used a common ground, and tapped into the Red wire with black trace, from the passenger side (as shown in the pic[post #1]) and used that as my +ve,..... so it should work yeah??,... for some reason I'm still not getting anything, and its got me stuffed,.... any ideas?? I have a mechanical Background, not electrical,.. but i think I have it correct,..... maybe?