PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brake Controller

embi
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I have been looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

Does anyone know if the Prados have a plug that these can fit into to save doing all the wiring.

And if not where have others wired them up to?

Thanks for your help

HGMonaro
06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I have one but a little man with a screwdriver and pliers did it so no idea how he did it! Works great though :)

Nige.

MickL
06-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Take a look here...

Brake controller install (http://www.aroundoz.com/diy_archive/electric_brakes.htm)

Mick

metro09
06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Take a look here...

Brake controller install (http://www.aroundoz.com/diy_archive/electric_brakes.htm)

Mick

Yep - thats the one Mick - I actually referred to that one prior to installing mine.

I actually didn't take any pics (always caught up in the moment of installations!! - was well and truly on a role with this one!)

There isn't a ready made plug under the dash - so you need to run your own wiring - Tekonsha talk about that all the time however from my reading mainly US cars have this one - definetly not or prados.

I can take some pics if you want - but there is another chat on theses installs somewhere else on PP. If you have the OEM towbar the blue control wire will be in the rear left access panel where the jack is.

metro09
06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I have been looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

Does anyone know if the Prados have a plug that these can fit into to save doing all the wiring.

And if not where have others wired them up to?

Thanks for your help

Here's the PP link you want...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2582&p=38486&hilit=+brake+controller#p38486 (http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2582&p=38486&hilit=+brake+controller#p38486)

wilko76
06-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Mate

mine is installed in my ashtray. Out of the way and easy to use.

embi
06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info... Gives me something to read about.

So where have people wired it to the rear brake light switch/wire etc? Any pictures?

metro09
06-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I just ran another red wire down with the blue one - Its much easier to wire up I felt than tooling around under the dash looking for the cold side brake wire.

stelz
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I wired mine directly to the wire which plugs into the microswitch on the pedal. I just backprobed with the multimeter to work out which one it was and then spliced it in. If you like I can look at it tonight and tell you which wire it is.

Ben

embi
07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
That would be handy thanks Ben.

I picked up a Prodgiy P3 controller today.

stelz
09-01-2009, 05:11 PM
The wire I used for the signal to the brake controller was one of 4 that go to the foot pedal microswitch - the green with yellow strip wire.

embi
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that... I'll give that a try hopefully tomorrow

embi
11-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Well i've installed it but with out my camper (we pick it up in a week or so) I need to be able to test it.

Is there a way I can do this without a trailer? Google hasnt been much help.

stelz
11-01-2009, 01:47 PM
You could place a light bulb across the brake output pin and the ground pin. put your foot on the brake and it should come on dimly. Push the boost lever over and it should control the brightness of the bulb as the voltage is controlled.

Ben

MickL
11-01-2009, 02:00 PM
You could place a light bulb across the brake output pin

Or use your test light/multimeter... both of which you should have in your tool kit, right? :D :D

Mick

embi
11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Well I have just found out that a multimeter doesn't provide enough load to make it work properly. I'll have to use a test light.

Or do what I ended up doing and finding a neighbor with a van to hook it up to, All is well and its functioning normally.

metro09
16-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Well I have just found out that a multimeter doesn't provide enough load to make it work properly. I'll have to use a test light.

Or do what I ended up doing and finding a neighbor with a van to hook it up to, All is well and its functioning normally.

All I did was find the brake output wire on the pin and whack the + from my multimeter on it, the negative I put on the hinge of the back door - McBain was in the driver seat pressing the brake and presto! Voltage!

Remember that you won't get the variable voltage output until the trailer brake controller is installed (cause the controller doesn't acknowledge that you have a trailer on!) but I drove mine 4 hours to the coast, (was picking up the father in law's trailer), took a deep breath and plugged her in - and she worked!

embi
16-01-2009, 12:28 PM
We just picked up the camper and it all works... :)

metro09
16-01-2009, 12:48 PM
We just picked up the camper and it all works... :)

Good stuff!

D4D
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Does the P3 fit in the ashtray slot?

Silver Rain
14-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I purchased a Prodigy P3 and found that it would not fit easily into the ash tray. I found that it fits beautifully inside the glove box, on the small tray which sits above the part of the glove box which drops down. I mounted it on the permanent bracket, not the removable one. It can be angled slightly up or down as need be. It can still be adjusted easily, as the face of the unit is still easy to reach. The only down side is that it is necessary to open the glove box if you want to see what the unit is doing. AFter a while I got confident that it was doing what it should be doing and really don't feel the need to look at it very often any more.

Schaffer
14-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't know what you guys think about the Redarc brake controller but they have a new one out that is two components. The switch and lighting module is about the same size one of the standard switch blanks alongside the mirror adjuster. The actual device is then tucked away under the dash out of harms way. A lot less bulky than some of the other units.
Redarc Break Controllers - Flyer (http://www.redarc.com.au/pdfs/Flyers/EB%20Range.pdf)
Redarc Break Controllers - Spec Sheet (http://www.redarc.com.au/pdfs/Specs/EB%20Series%20Instruction%20Sheet-A5-2.pdf)
I'm not affiliated with these at all. Just saw one at a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked reasonably compact and didn't require you to either hit your knee or sacrifice the ashtray.

D4D
14-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I purchased a Prodigy P3 and found that it would not fit easily into the ash tray.

Why wouldn't it fit?

Silver Rain
15-05-2009, 11:18 AM
The P3 was too bit to fit neatly into the ash tray. I thought about cutting the ashtray up to make it fit (and getting a spare for when I sell the car) but even then it would have poked out of the front quite a bit. It was purely a matter of looks rather than function.

Peter.

D4D
19-05-2009, 08:13 PM
The P3 was too bit to fit neatly into the ash tray. I thought about cutting the ashtray up to make it fit (and getting a spare for when I sell the car) but even then it would have poked out of the front quite a bit. It was purely a matter of looks rather than function.

Bought a P3 today and I see what you mean. I'll have to get creative with a bracket if it's going to fit in the ashtray slot.

My only concern with the glove box mount is it's no easily assessable in an emergency.

Prado BB
29-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Apologies in adavnce (never towed a camper before) - do I need to install an electric brake controller when I hire a jayco outback?
Cheers
Andy

leachy_9
29-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Since the majority of people hiring a van would not have a brake controller fitted to their car, most hire companies have their campers fitted with over-ride brakes ,which don't require a controller. Check with the hire company to see what type of brakes are fitted. If the van does in fact have electric brakes then you will need to have a brake controller fitted to the car.

Leachy

Signature035
29-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Prado BB

The Jayco will come with both, (Electric & Over-ride). Override is fine for short local running around...... maybe a quick one off trip up the highway :?: BUT, for the $168 purchase price (latest Ebay price) and another $80 install ...... I would be getting one installed before I hired, particularly if you are going to travel any distance. Saftey is not something you can justify saving $250 on......

Prado BB
29-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Prado BB

The Jayco will come with both, (Electric & Over-ride). Override is fine for short local running around...... maybe a quick one off trip up the highway :?: BUT, for the $168 purchase price (latest Ebay price) and another $80 install ...... I would be getting one installed before I hired, particularly if you are going to travel any distance. Saftey is not something you can justify saving $250 on......

Thanks Rob & Leachy, if you put it that way, I can't put a price on my family's safety.......brake controller it is. I will be doing about 2,500km.
Cheers
Andy

viper
31-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Andy - I just did 6000k with a Jayco Outback and a Prodigy - well worth the investment. Took about 3 hours to install and the cradle+controller tucks neatly into the ashtray slot without need for screws or glue.

GDS
01-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Could someone please post a photo of the P3 installed in the ashtray slot.

Thanks

Grant

Signature035
01-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Have a look at Leachy_9's in this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6011&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=tekonsha (http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6011&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=tekonsha)

.....Personally, I think they are more accessable, and look better mounted to the left of the steering column, but that is just a neatness thing... :mrgreen:

bradz
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi guys

I have a Tekonsha P3 in my Prado and my mate has a Prodigy in his Landcruiser.

Are you able to plug the P3 into the wiring harness for the Prodigy? I know the mounting bracket is different but apart from that will the P3 operate properly with the Prodigy's existing wiring and harness?

Cheers
Brad

bilo33prado
29-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi guys. I'm about to fit a redarc controller in My GXL tomorrow. Tips so far are run heavy wire from battery to controller. Pick up the brake switch wire of the brake pedal and the blue wire for the trailer plug is in the left had conpartment behind the jack. Is that about it?
Cheers
Geoff

FLexus
01-11-2010, 03:43 AM
I know it's an old thread but if you have a factory tow kit, the wiring will be there. Directly below the steering column in a bundle of wire will be a 5 pin connector. You can get the wire kit that plugs in there from the dealer. Only four leads are needed. Power, ground, brake signal and trailer lead to the prodigy. If you mount in the ash tray, watch the downward angle of the controller because it can't handle much downward mounting angle.

PradOz
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Not too sure that you can get a connector from the dealer - at least here in Australia, but I hear its possible in the States. Also the angles for prodigy or P3 are mentioned elsewhere here on PP, some downward angle allowed to my knowledge. Where you from Flexus, you dont have your location listed

tonylawrence
23-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi All,

Just to add my install into the mix; after much deliberation I went for the ashtray location as well, but decided to make my own bracket from scrap 3mm aluminium instead of using a second hand ashtray (partly because the local wrecker here in Darwin wanted $55 for a well used second hand one and also it was the weekend so they weren't open.)

I bent the metal up the same shape as the upper edge of the ashtray and then riveted the large metal bracket to the underside. I also unclipped the plastic piece on the top of the P3 that is used for the quick release bracket allowing it so sit up higher. I then drilled 2 new holes in the side of the bracket to suit and cut off the excess. That allowed the P3 to sit a lot further in and also allow it to have some upward angle so that it can be easily seen.

For those that are interested, PM me and I will email you a few pics below and can also post the dimensions for bending up if you like. The whole job only took abput 2 hours and needs nothing special; just a hacksaw, 2 x 5/32" rivets, an angle grinder with a 1mm disc and a vice. (Also some etch primer and matt black if you want it to look pretty)

The unit is held really snugly and locks in just like the original ashtray and just slides out so it can be replaced with the ashtray when its not in use.

Now I just have to finish building my CT so I can give it a run!

Cheers,

Tony.

Boomslang
01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
My friend just replaced his Prado and need to have his brake controller moved to the new car. Can somebody suggest a good place to have this done in the Penrith area?

jonnic0000
28-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Mate

mine is installed in my ashtray. Out of the way and easy to use.

Hi. I saw your post on the ashtray mount and thought good idea...so i have been in the garage for the last few hours trying to work out how to mount the P3 in the ash tray hole. Can you give me some tips on how you mounted it? I have a 2008 prado GXL.
Cheers
Jon:confused:

Matty & Loz
28-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Remove the ash tray, and the smaller ash tray mount from out of the surrounding console section (console section must be removed first). Then mount the metal (larger) bracket facing upwards on the inside - centralise it to the openning left by the ash tray and then mount the P3 using the two screws provided.

There is even enough room to allow it to be angled a little to driver preference.

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/flex120/sapradogxl/tekonsha/th_P1030034a.jpg (http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/flex120/sapradogxl/tekonsha/?action=view&current=P1030034a.jpg) http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/flex120/sapradogxl/tekonsha/th_P1030036a.jpg (http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/flex120/sapradogxl/tekonsha/?action=view&current=P1030036a.jpg) http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/flex120/sapradogxl/tekonsha/th_P1030032a.jpg (http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/flex120/sapradogxl/tekonsha/?action=view&current=P1030032a.jpg)

Photos from the recent install on sapradogxl's rig... :)

sapradogxl
29-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Also, one thing to notice if towing a boat trailer fitted with electric/hydrolic brakes, with a break-away system, is that you will need to run in addition a constant 12V supply to pin #2. Or maybe it was simply the boat trailer that I towed.

Rusty62
12-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Mounted mine with the Tunit in the glovebox. Being tall i cannot have it anyware else and once adjusted leave it alone. When starting in the morning i open the glove box to test.

http://s2.postimage.org/35qjtg2xw/P1020453.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/35qjtg2xw/)

jonnic0000
18-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I just finished mounting mine in the ashtray. I used some 12mm x 20mm alum angle as runners to go along the sides, and pop rivets some 25x25 angle from the runners down to the screw holes in the control unit. This allows the whole unit to slide in and out easily, and put the ashtray back in when not in use. It fits great and easy to put in and out. I used some valco strip at the back to hold it in position and fit tight. I also used a few pop rivets along the side of the runners to allow it to lock into position, just like the ashtray.