PDA

View Full Version : Ctek chargers?

Deeptank
02-08-2008, 08:43 PM
From what I can gather these are the mutt's nuts. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these? Good or bad - I'd like to hear.

The one I've been eyeing is the Multi SX 7000.

D4D
03-08-2008, 06:28 AM
nike

Deeptank
03-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Yup, I think I'll "just do it"... Can't seem to find anything better.

D4D
03-08-2008, 08:19 AM
They are set and forget. I leave mine permanently connected to the Mav and swap batteries every week so they both are fully charged when I go away.

halojump
03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah I picked up one from Battery World @ Chermside the other day. It is great. V Simple to use and so far pretty reliable.

Deeptank
03-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah I picked up one from Battery World @ Chermside the other day. It is great. V Simple to use and so far pretty reliable.

Nice one mate. Which model did you get and how much did it set you back?

Grey Nomad
03-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Guys

Just to confirm that the CTEK chargers are excellent!
I have the 7 amp one in the garage for general charging use and a 25 amp one in the caravan for charging its 130 AH battery from the generator.
They charge as quickly as practicable whilst still looking after the batteries health and life.

Cheers - John

Deeptank
03-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, I just ordered a MULTI XS 7000, so I suppose I'll soon see for myself. Did some more searching and all I could find was excellent reviews, so I guess it won't be too shabby.

Found a bloke in Adelaide (on eBay) selling them for $190,- which I figured was a fairly good deal.

halojump
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
great price, I paid $235 from memory for the XS7000

LiveFreeAndRoam
04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Just saw this one at the GC ARB... $265!!!!

I keep trying to buy from them, but every time their pricing drives me elsewhere. Oh well.

LFaR.

Deeptank
04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Just saw this one at the GC ARB... $265!!!!

I keep trying to buy from them, but every time their pricing drives me elsewhere. Oh well.

LFaR.

Yup, and in my case you can add lack of service to higher prices too! :shock:

Took about a minute to order and I am expecting it tomorrow. Gotta love eBay...

dirttracker
05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I got mine from Repco and asked for their best price. $195 - for the 7000.
I now have it wired into the engine compartment so that it is easy to plug in and charge especially when at the caravan park and so I put it on to charge the second battery and supply to the fridge as well. Ace. I can also charge the camper battery isolated from the car. The car has wetcell, the camper - AGM.

Deeptank
05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Just got mine and it's chugging away right now... We'll soon see... :wink:

Hubble80
06-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Some reasonable pricing on eBay for CTEK stuff.

Deeptank
06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I bought mine from a seller called 4wdextreme.

Ordered it Sunday night, got confirmation Monday and it arrived Tuesday. Can't ask for better than that!

The charger itself has given my Waeco RAPS36 the highest charge ever. With Waeco's own Mobitronic 14A charger I have recently only been getting up to about 12.6V, which would soon drop to about 12.5V without any load. The Ctek cranked it up to 13.3V, which then stabilised to 12.9V. Accoring to Waeco it's supposed to stabilise to about 12.8V, so it's doing 'better than spec'.

Well pleased.

ntp
02-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Bump.

I'm thinking of getting one of the CTEK chargers. I gather the XS7000 is the best all-rounder for car batteries. Anyone know of any special deals? Around $235 seems the common price via Internet searching; slightly cheaper on E-bay.

dustie
03-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Does the CTEK XS 7000 charge "Calcium" batteries?

FYI - My second battery is a Rocket Calcium (DCM27 Deep Cycle 95AH). This battery performed very well on my recent trip ran for 2 days without having to run the car, I then used the solar panel to put some charge back.

ntp
05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Just purchased a CTEK XS 15000 charger :D :D . Will report more once it arrives and have had some time to use. 8)

Deeptank
05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
You won't be disappointed. I've been using mine for a few months now and it's a killer... Have charged my 110 Ah deep cycle gel battery with it, a 36 Ah Waeco AGM, Prado's starter battery, jumpstarters etc.

I can categorically say that I've never used a better charger before - and I have used a few...

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to buy a 14A Waeco charger, I've got one going cheap...? :wink:

05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Don't know about the calcium battery but see no reason why it wouldn't. I also have the ctek 15000 and love it... looks after my 120ah very well.

Chuck
05-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I just brought the XS 7000 too, it should arrive Wed if they decide to sort the mail here.

dustie
06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Ordered mine XS7000 from Ebay - 4wdextreme

Deeptank
06-01-2009, 07:39 PM
BTW, the XS15000 is not recommended for batteries below 28Ah, which is why I went for the XS7000 instead as I'll need to charge the odd 17Ah jumpstarter and other various accessory batteries too. Just something to be aware of...

plucker
06-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Having spent a lifetime working on batteries and batt. chargers including making one from scratch, I have recently purchased a Ctek XS1500 and have nothing but praise for them. It does everything including trickle charging at 13.5V which was important to me.

Chuck
07-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Mine arrived today, the wonders of express post.
It's been put straight to work charging the battery for the boat and then it will be the thumper that has been flat for a while and then the old Yaris battery gets a turn ( hasn't been driven much since the Prado came to town).

dustie
07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
It's been put straight to work charging the battery for the boat and then it will be the thumper that has been flat for a while and then the old Yaris battery gets a turn ( hasn't been driven much since the Prado came to town).

mine arrived today aswell. Its on the job now :D :D

VL400
08-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I have had a XS3600 connected to my occasional (try once a year :( ) use calais for ages now, everytime it gets started its perfect - could also be that its a toyota powered holden too :lol:

Best battery charger i have ever used, just sits there trickling away...

ntp
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Finally got mine today :D ... will go straight onto boat first. The mail camels travel a little slower in the NT. :shock:

Chuck
10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Finally got mine today :D ... will go straight onto boat first. The mail camels travel a little slower in the NT. :shock:

Get some where slower than WA (wait awhile) never thought I'd see the day..

ntp
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
CTEK charger is quietly humming away - currently boosting boat battery in preparation for a quick trip out in the next week or so. :D

begs
27-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

I have received an XS7000, and was reading the Toyota manual in regards to charging, as I know nothing about the electronic side of cars, before connecting to make sure I don't screw something up.

I have a redarc dual battery system and was going to use the CTEK to charge up the second battery due to the D4D alternator issues. In the manual it states that the earth connection should be disconnected from the battery when charging. Is this necessary with the CTEK, and does this mean that you have to re-set everything afterward? Do I have to do the same with the Aux battery and can I still leave the accessories running off it?

I guess what I'm asking is:
What's the best method for charging the aux battery to keep it fully charged?
Is there a difference for the starter motor?
Can I do both at once?

Cheers,
Ray.

borgy
08-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi all,

I have received an XS7000, and was reading the Toyota manual in regards to charging, as I know nothing about the electronic side of cars, before connecting to make sure I don't screw something up.

I have a redarc dual battery system and was going to use the CTEK to charge up the second battery due to the D4D alternator issues. In the manual it states that the earth connection should be disconnected from the battery when charging. Is this necessary with the CTEK, and does this mean that you have to re-set everything afterward? Do I have to do the same with the Aux battery and can I still leave the accessories running off it?

I guess what I'm asking is:
What's the best method for charging the aux battery to keep it fully charged?
Is there a difference for the starter motor?
Can I do both at once?

Cheers,
Ray.

Ray

Great questions, I have been thinking about this too just recently... Hoping someone here with knowledge in this area may assist/reply.
TIA

Cheers
Borgy

Fungi2003
08-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Great questions, I have been thinking about this too just recently... Hoping someone here with knowledge in this area may assist/reply.

I second that, just about to purchase a charger and want to know what is the correct procedure for charging the aux battery.

leachy_9
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
If using an external charger it is good practice to isolate the battery being charged from the vehicle's 12v system. This is a precaution to prevent damage to the vehicle electronics should there be a fault in the charger or 240Vac power supply. It is possible to charge the battery while connected and have no adverse effects, but it increases the amount damage that may occur should a fault occur. Personally I wouldn't trust the manufactures of the chargers or the local power authority enough to charge my battery with having it isolated.

My recommendation is:

If charging the main cranking battery , disconnect the main battery. This means having to reset clocks, windows etc. when finished.

If charging an Aux. battery, for most installation types (Redarc, Piranah, ARB ...) you will need to isolate the Aux. battery from the vehicle. This shouldn't require reseting things. For those with isolated aux. charging systems (Ranox, inverter/charger), charging from an external 240Vac source can be achieved through system (with the addition of extra items) and isolating of the Aux. battery is not necessary.

Leachy

Pedro
23-02-2009, 06:51 PM
The Ctek should not get too hot when in operation.

Mine did this a couple of years ago and it was traced to a short somewhere or other.

I leave mine on 24hours a day , attached to 120a AGM battery, and it is barely warm.
I would give the agents Bainbridge a ring. They are pretty helpful.
http://www.bainbridgetechnologies.com/index.php?page=contact

Phone 0738213333

photoprado
01-03-2009, 10:39 AM
As the deep cycle is a 115amp and the start is 700amp, the little charger was working it's arse off.. got to about 50%, so recharged 400amps in 14hrs

You have a 700amp start battery? :shock: :)

You're not confusing battery storage amp/hours and CCA are you? CCA is Cold Cranking Amps, and this is the ability of the battery to supply high amps for a very short time, it's not a measure of battery storage capacity...

Michael

BidderBoy
04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
These CTEKL chargers really are the best, picked up a heavy duty one off ebay and saved $500 on the retail store price.

We use the charger on the dual boat batteries and the car batteries, would recommend wihout a doubt.

samo
04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
i got mine xs7000 ff flebay for $200, delivered for ,keen to see how well they work. cheers samo

2003GXL
13-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Well iv'e joined the ctek xs7000 club, I brought mine this morning off fleabay for $200 delivered as well . Made the offer and was accepted comes with 5 years warrant from 4145derek. Can't wait for it to arrive and have a play with it.

Greg

D4D
04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I was all set to buy another Ctek charger when I discovered this charger http://www.ozcharge.com.au/OC-SW121080.html

Does anybody have one or know anything about them?

IRON-PAWW
22-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Another CTEK XS 7000 owner right here! Have been meaning to get a decent charger for a little while now and bit the bullet a fortnight ago after reading the threads on the auxiliary charging issues. The maintenance setting is the shiznit in my opinion because I'm often having to leave the Prado parked for one week plus.

Question though. I have ARB's Smart Solenoid dual batt system. Now do I need to charge the cranking battery and aux separately? Or can I just connect up to the cranking batt and let the solenoid feed the charge into the aux when the cranking batt voltage raises high enough, just as if it were getting charged by a "non smart" alternator.

Don't want the Engel short of power over the WA long weekend now do I.

01Rod
22-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Just something you might want to be aware of....

CTEC do not make a calcium battery charger. The sales reps tell you yes it will charge a calcium battery (by putting it into boost mode, that then turns off the smarts)
but the truth is only to about 65% of full charge.
you won't find any reference to calcium batteries on anything written by CTEC either....

As most automotive batteires these days are Calcium Calcium. (again nothing to say they have to be marked or identified as such)
you might be better off with the Redarc smart Charge...

www.redarc.com.au (http://www.redarc.com.au)
or http://www.redarc.com.au/pdfs/Flyers/Smart%20Charge.pdf

I had a CTEC 7000 but stopped using it after I found my solar panels charging at 8 amps for 4 hours after I had "fully" charged the batteries. Turned out the batteries were only about 65% charged when i put the hydrometer in the battery.
I then changed over to the Redarc smart charge and can tell you that it will charge the battery to 100% which really helps when using the battery as an aux battery.

The other good thing is it does all three different battery types Lead acic, Gel and Calcium.. so becomes much more versitile.

Anyway not knocking the CTEC chargers, just need to be aware that they are only for lead acid batteries.
and also letting you know what worked best for me...

Rod

joz
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
From what I can gather these are the mutt's nuts. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these? Good or bad - I'd like to hear.

The one I've been eyeing is the Multi SX 7000.

I have the 7amp. I installed it in my van instead of the manufacturers $800 unit the charge the 90ah van battery. It will also run the 12v system without a battery. I have been very happy with it.

LostDingo2
22-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I will soon be part of this prestigious club awaiting a CTek XS 700 from 4wdextreme on eBay :mrgreen:

Also ordered a comfort connect panel and cig plug adaptor. 4wdextreme is very quick to respond and also has the best prices going I can see along with several accolades on here.

hulbyw
17-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I am another happy Ctek 7000 user however thought I would post an issue I have just experienced . The lights on the charger were continually cycling between low charge and full charge whilst charging my caravan Gel battery. Took the charger to Battery World for testing who said it tested ok and my caravan battery was probably dud.
I then tried it on my Gel auxillary battery in the Prado where it did the same thing. However when I disconnected the battery, the lights kept on cycling! I then decided to check the in line output cable 2 pin socket which seemed a fraction loose. After gently closing up the female connectors in the socket I tried the charger again on both the Prado gel battery and then back in the caravan. All works fine now and the caravan battery is now charged and in float mode (green light)

bilo33prado
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm looking at buying and mounting a ctek 7000 in the rear cargo area beside my 40l Engel. When near 240v i'll run engel on 240v + plug the ctek into a spare cigarette plug with the special ctek cigarette plug adapter and charge the 2nd battery under the bonnet? Will this work? And yes i've run heavier wire from 2nd battery to rear cigarette plugs for the fridge and running aux gear.

leachy_9
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm looking at buying and mounting a ctek 7000 in the rear cargo area beside my 40l Engel. When near 240v i'll run engel on 240v + plug the ctek into a spare cigarette plug with the special ctek cigarette plug adapter and charge the 2nd battery under the bonnet? Will this work? And yes i've run heavier wire from 2nd battery to rear cigarette plugs for the fridge and running aux gear.

This will work fine and will extend the life of the battery. I have a similar setup -though I use a different brand of charger.
While the Cteks are good, I would recommend a Xantax Truecharge2.

Leachy

AlenP
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
D4D,

I have a OZCHARGE 2/4/6 charger for use in my shed and it works a treat. I intend to take it with me when and if I ever buy a Genny but til then it's the ole 75AH Thumper via a Projecta DC20.

Mike
11-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Leachy can you please clarify the need to disconnect the auxillary battery if charging from to rear cigarette plug adapter.

Your advice on 9-2-09 which I follow (If using an external charger it is good practice to isolate the battery being charged from the vehicle's 12v system.If charging an Aux. battery, for most installation types (Redarc, Piranah, ARB ...) you will need to isolate the Aux. battery from the vehicle).

Your advice on 11-2-10 to bilo33prado that I would like to try (This will work fine and will extend the life of the battery i.e. charging through the rear cigarette plug adapter).

bilo33prado
11-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I will soon be part of this prestigious club awaiting a CTek XS 700 from 4wdextreme on eBay :mrgreen:
Also ordered a comfort connect panel and cig plug adaptor. 4wdextreme is very quick to respond and also has the best prices going I can see along with several accolades on here.
Yes same here. c tek xs 7000 $205 delivered, same seller and i bought the cig plug adaptor for $29.50 delivered.
oh and a bought a CTEK XS 800 XS800 BATTERY CHARGER CAR BIKE BOAT MARINE for $40.90 + $10 postage to leave connected to my jet ski :mrgreen:

leachy_9
11-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Leachy can you please clarify the need to disconnect the auxillary battery if charging from to rear cigarette plug adapter.

Your advice on 9-2-09 which I follow (If using an external charger it is good practice to isolate the battery being charged from the vehicle's 12v system.If charging an Aux. battery, for most installation types (Redarc, Piranah, ARB ...) you will need to isolate the Aux. battery from the vehicle).

Your advice on 11-2-10 to bilo33prado that I would like to try (This will work fine and will extend the life of the battery i.e. charging through the rear cigarette plug adapter).

Mike,
If you are wanting to do this I would recommend the following things:

1: Have a way to disconnect the aux. battery from the rest of the vehicle. This could be a battery isolator switch, an anderson plug, removing a battery terminal, or in the case of a solenoid charging system, ensuring the solenoid is open.

2: The cigarette outlet should be wired direct to the aux. battery with heavy gauge wire (6mm2).

3. Run the fridge from the 240V supply and unplug the fridge from the aux. battery.

Note: Isolating the aux. battery and unplugging the fridge from the aux. battery are good practice, precautionary measures to minimise damage should the charger fail and send a spike through the system. It is still possible to charge the aux. battery with this isolation. It just means if there happens to be an issue with power system or charger the potential damage would be greater.

Leachy

bilo33prado
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification. The way i 'm looking at doing it should work fine then. I'll disconnect 12v plug out of fridge when running on 240v and charging 2nd battery through cig plug. To be sure, to be sure :D

Mike
12-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks Leachy for your advice - most appreciated.

Nanook
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used the ctek comfort indicator and if so, how do you find it?
Thanks
Russ

Ozpat
04-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Just got my Bushman fridge and am running it from my AGM battery mounted next to rear drawers. My Ctek dc-dc D250S recharges it from 11.5v (fridge cutout point when not being charged) up to 12.8v in less than two hours driving. Very happy.

I've also got an XC 7000 which I have used a couple of times so far. It gets very hot although works well. I even got lazy and connected it to the crank battery with the D250S running from it to the AGM in rear.

Between the two Cteks both batteries got fully charged in a couple of hours. (AGM was down to 11v. Crank was down to 12. 3v.) Most important point is to use at least 6 b&s cable if using Ctek and 2nd battery in rear to keep up those volts.

See my previous posts.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7939&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40 (http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7939&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40)

Fungi2003
24-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Bought an XS7000 and started charging a flat battery on an old vehicle I have. The battery is currently at 3-4v and I tried the normal setting and recond settings over a 4 hour period and it stays at stage 1 and find that it gets little to no charge. Note that the battery is disconnected from the vehicle.

I tested the ctek unit on my Prado's aux battery and it goes to stage 1 and then stage 2 almost immediately. I can also notice a slight bubbling noise coming from the battery.

So is the old vehicle battery a dud? Or should I keep the ctek on the battery on the recond mode for the 8 hours as mentioned in the manual?

Is it normal for the charger to get hot? It gets to the point where its still ok to touch.

Ozpat
25-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Fungi

As I mentioned before my 7000 gets very hot but still works well. Never did find out if this is normal.
But I wouldn't risk the expensive Cteck on an old battery that is down to 3v. It's had its day. Best to just turf it mate.
Don't forget to loosen off the caps when charging a battery to let the hydrogen gas vent off. (That's the bubbling)

Cheers.

Matty & Loz
25-12-2010, 06:37 PM
So is the old vehicle battery a dud? Or should I keep the ctek on the battery on the recond mode for the 8 hours as mentioned in the manual?
Its a dud mate, turf it - no amount of reconditioning will ever bring it back to operational operformance.

Even if the voltage comes up and "appears" good, it will breakdown under load, nor will it hold charge over time... Scrap metal recycling time!!!

PradoGXL08
19-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi All,

What is the better Ctek Charger to get for charging my Aux Battery on my Prado, when Base Camping and not driving the Prado?
I have a Exide CAL/CAL 95A/hr Battery as my Aux.

I have an ARB 47L Fridge and also a 12v Travel Buddy Oven, both of which drain the battery (more so the Oven)

I was looking at either the Ctek MXS 10 (10Amp Charger) or the MXS15 (15Amp Charger)

This would be use in-conjunction with a Honda 20i Generator that I carry, which also chargers my Tvan, when required.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

D4D
19-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Pretty obvious answer, MXS15

PradoGXL08
19-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi All,

Sorry for the question - but was advise on the GTG to look at the 7amp version, but I thought that was too small, hence the question

Stuart

D4D
19-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Running off a genny you need the biggest which translates to the quickest charge hence MXS15.

slimf
19-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Mx25 is the ducks guts..

winniliss
19-04-2014, 05:58 PM
MX25 as well. You can run that off the Honda and they are cheaper on Ebay (mob in Melb I think).