PDA

View Full Version : Finally... Rear Foglamp Installation!

adamrick
23-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I managed to get the final story on getting the rear fog lamps to work :D :D

You need to order:

1 x 84165-33040 - Fog Lamp Switch Assy
2 x 81591-60132 - Lens & Body
2 x 82214-60050 - Wire, Lamp
2 x Standard 12v clear lamps(same as the park light)

Simply insert the switch into the top left receptacle in the driver's switch panel. Connect the white connector, with the green line through it, to the switch (no need for any relays or additional wiring).

Remove the fog lamp 'blanks/dummies' from the rear bumper. Insert the 12v lamp into the wiring harness 82214-60050. Insert this into the new fog lamp housing. Insert the new fog lamp into the bumper and connect the grey connector to the male counterpart under the bumper.

Hey Presto!!!! Working fog lamps!!!

Piggy
24-03-2008, 02:30 AM
But if in Aust check with your local authorities, as these may contravene ADR compliance. Meaning you can be defected for wiring them up and having them illuminated..

PradoGXL08
24-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi All,

What about using them for additional Parkers / Brake lights only??

Please advise

Stuart

McBAIN
24-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I've wired mine as parkers... but i think it's the way it reflects that makes it non compliant...

adamrick
24-03-2008, 08:31 PM
But if in Aust check with your local authorities, as these may contravene ADR compliance. Meaning you can be defected for wiring them up and having them illuminated..

I live in Dubai, so no issues with compliance here...

It was just a pet project to make the things work - especially after I was told by the main Toyota agent here "... it's impossible to do it..!!"

We do get very thick fog in the UAE from time to time, and with the way the local wildlife drive here - it's a bloody necessity!! See http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_ ... 96597.html (http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_Transport/10196597.html)

As for wiring them up as extended park/brake lights... Simply buy everything (except the switch 84165-33040) I have specified and tap off the brake/parking wiring harness.

If you guys have trouble buying the parts, I can order them for you. You'll have to arrange your own courier transport to your destination of choice :D

damonat
24-03-2008, 10:10 PM
toyota guys re-open here tomorrow (being a 4 day weekend here in aust), so i'll be getting my old work to look into the part numbers you supplied and get them listed (if not already). i'll be looking at hooking them up as they should be.
adamrick; do the new rear fog lenses include a reflector in the side like the dummy units have? otherwise this part will definately be a compliance issue.

adamrick
24-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Damonat,

The part number I gave for the rear fog lamp ass'y does include a standard reflector mounted on the inboard side of the lens assembly... :)

Adam

damonat
25-03-2008, 11:43 AM
so i spoke to toyota regarding these parts.

the switch is on aust system but has to be backordered from Japan $90+.

the lense are not on aust system but show up in global as ok numbers, but the price :shock: $140+ increase costs by the time they would arrive. so a no thanks i'll mod my own.

the wiring is available in aust and stocks are MEL. $17 each.

so i've ordered switch and the 2 wiring looms and will mod my lenses.
that way it still looks original and looks good.

prices are current today (based off exchange rates and whatever else they use)

adamrick
25-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Damonat,

Man - your prices are EXPENSIVE from your dealer/agent!!! :shock:

I did the entire job for AUD$120.00 (AED400.00)

Find out what it will cost you to courier the parts from Dubai. I'd be happy to buy the stuff for you if it's better for you to ship from Dubai (inclusive of taxes etc...)

If you have someone that can pay me the AED400.00 I'd be glad to help.

Adam

damonat
25-03-2008, 04:17 PM
these prices are trade/retail prices.
this is not the price i'll pay, but thats for the offer

adamrick
16-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Damonat,

What was the outcome of your venture? What prices did you get (and did you manage to buy the parts)?

damonat
16-04-2008, 08:44 PM
have gotten the parts
(switch and wiring)
but haven't fitted yet.
had a quick look at the truck.
rear wiring easy,
just haven't had a good look, but can't see the
switch wiring/plug.

jeff s
16-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I dont know about the wiring, But after seeing the back of the lenses a while back when I had the bumper off it looked easy to get a globe in there.
Although it wasnt a knock out hole, a drill and a file would open up the back to accept the globe. And mine had the globe end plug hanging just behind the lens.

adamrick
17-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Jeff,

If you read my first post, you will see there is no need to drill/cut holes anywhere. If you buy 81591-60132 - Lens & Body, this is the original OEM fog lamp assy which will take the wiring harness with lamp attached :D

I have listed all the parts needed to make the rear fog lamps work...

Damonat

If you remove the driver's switch panel (where the instrument cluster dimmer switch is located, as well as the mirror controls) you should see a big black wiring loom connected to the mirror control assy. I saw a spare white connector (square shape), with 4 or 5 wires in it, taped up with that. The connector had a hand drawn green line on it. This is the connector to plug into the back of the switch assy.

I'm assuming the wiring loom for the LHD (mine) and RHD are the same....!?!?!? (hopefully!! :? )

damonat
17-04-2008, 05:03 PM
[quote="Pradogxlv6"]THis thread is boring as, without PHOTO's...

what ever. 8)

i had a quick look for this plug a couple of weeks ago.
and didn't see it.
but thats not to say that it's not their.
just need to have a good look, and maybe trace some wires. no biggee.
the wires are their on the rear of the car, so the wiring will be their somewhere.

adamrick
17-04-2008, 07:38 PM
THis thread is boring as, without PHOTO's...

Dear Moderator,

Seeing as I cannot post live pics into this forum (as it appears this forum does not support this functionality at my user level), I used my Moderator powers on my Dubai forum to host the pics.

I had created a URL to my forum (when I first investigated this option/issue) in the thread http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2432 Perhaps you were not looking/reading properly at the time you may/may not have read that thread..?

Please refer to http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.php?topic=1669.0 in order to allay your boredom...!

adamrick
17-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Dear Moderator,

I can hotlink to the pictures posted in my forum.....

http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.p ... 1816;image (http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1669.0;attach=1816 ;image)
http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.p ... 1821;image (http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1669.0;attach=1821 ;image)
http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.p ... 1822;image (http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1669.0;attach=1822 ;image)
Modified by Mod to at least be clickable links..
It appears your forum does not support the standard BBCode for this function!

adamrick
17-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Are you for real ?

I have posted hundreds of photo's on this forum and have had not issues...

Cheers,

I am for real...... ask Bill L...!

Question is though - did you manage to see the pics in the DPH forum or not?

Also - my BBCode is correct for linking images.... no? If it is correct, why won't the images display?

damonat
17-04-2008, 09:00 PM
i saw the pictures,
so lets keep it to the topic
everyone just take a deep breath,

and calm.

adamrick
17-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Damonat,

I am totally fine and dandy...Not getting wound up at all. Sorry if things were read differently Thanks .... :D

Just wondering why the Moderator says the thread is useless without pics, even though I tried to link to my forum....

Also wondering why I can't post images using the standard BBcode ....??

But like you said, let's keep it to the topic.

If you guys can't source these parts, I have setup Mumsrig with my contact here who works for Toyota.... HTH

McBAIN
18-04-2008, 06:08 PM
deep breaths everyone... i think you've missed the aussie way of saying "post some pics so we can see what you're talking about!!"

D4D-GXL
19-04-2008, 04:47 PM
When posting a topic, it is 1000% more interesting when pics are placed on the forum. It makes interesting reading even more interesting. The old saying....A picture says a thousand words.

adamrick
20-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Guys,

I am a moderator and founder member of Dubai Petrolheads Forum. I know how these things work and I know what it means when you say 'Post pics' :D :D

For some reason, this forum doesn't allow me to link to my pics I posted in the Dubai Petrolheads forum.... and when I used the standard [img] code it didn't work... Any ideas? (I tried a mac machine as well as a windows machine)

Sorry - I tried! :? :? :? :?

Al least Damonat saw the pics in the DPH forums... so I assume everyone else can?

damonat
21-04-2008, 03:59 AM
yep, i saw the pic's.
i use photobucket for my pic's and have no problem,
but at least you've tried.

Piggy
03-06-2008, 07:44 AM
So it means simply host the pics at photobuvcket or any of the other free sites so they can be linked properly.

You will find your forum does not allow hotlinking, hence the non display of pictures here...... :!:

There is a couple of existing how to post pictures threads which explain how to do it on this forum.

Pictures would turn this how to from a rather interessting but bland read to a top notch effort that would instill a lot more information transfer to all readers.
People love pictures on how to's. They can see exactly what to expect if they attempt your modification.

adamrick
08-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Pics (hopefully the link from photobucket works!!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/adamrickenberg/SwitchAssy.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/adamrickenberg/InsertedSwitch.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/adamrickenberg/RearHarness.jpg

mumstruk
10-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the pics adamric. I am getting closer to my goal of finding all the missing switches.

By the way I just bought a 206 Gti Peugeot ( come on now, no laughing. It does 5.5L to the 100ks, goes like stink). It has a rear fog lamp which is farken bright, much more intense than the brake light. It is really handy in rainy low light conditions.
The pigman might be able to answer this. How come it's legal for this car to have fog lamps and the Prado not? Is it a case of there not being enough reflective area in total tail lamp surface or is it that Toyota did not include this lamp when the car went for it's ADR approvals?
As to the Pug, those that know, know.

McBAIN
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
i think it's the reflector that is the problem, and also if i recall i read somewhere that in ADR the fog light can only be in the centre, or to the right of centre, so in theory you'd only be able to connect the right one. but don't quote me on that!

adamrick
10-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the pics adamric. I am getting closer to my goal of finding all the missing switches.....

My offer still stands to anyone that wants help in getting the fog lamp kit (switches, lens body, wiring etc....)

Jeremy Clarkson did a review of the 206Gti... not a bad little car - and for your cost of fuel in Ozzztralia it's pretty good. Fuel here is cheap, so we drive V8's.... :lol:

damonat
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
i think it's the reflector that is the problem, and also if i recall i read somewhere that in ADR the fog light can only be in the centre, or to the right of centre, so in theory you'd only be able to connect the right one. but don't quote me on that!

i don't think so.
remeber the hyundai excel.
it has 1 under the DS tail lights in the bumper. it does look c@#p.

i've just removed the rear reflector/foglight things, and fitted small hella foglights in the hole, to use as reverse lights.
which left me with no reflectors, so i bought 2 elcheapo's and fitted them just below the original position.

I couldn't locate the foglight wiring behind dash. so gave up.
now i have the switch and wiring patch harnesses sitting in the shed.

mumstruk
10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Damonat maybe it is still in the left hand side behind the glovebox?

damonat
10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
my rear bumper is split and damaged so i decided to get better reverse lighting for the night trips.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/natdamo/rearfoglights-1.jpg
this was with a trial fitment.
since this i have put a piece of black rubber behind so you can't see through, and no mud comes up from the tyres.
you get the idea

damonat
10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
the limit of what i know/remember (which isn't alot) is,
the reverse lights need to have a switch/isolating point,
'only' operate with reverse,
no change to existing regulations (e.g. reflectors and original lighting must not be obscured).
thats it.
trucks have them as reverse or worklights on hitch area, and trailers.

i used narva compac 70 foglights.

so i think i'll be ok, but would be happy to hear anything else i need to do.

adamrick
11-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I couldn't locate the foglight wiring behind dash. so gave up. Now I have the switch and wiring patch harnesses sitting in the shed.

I dunno about the RHD cars, but I would assume the wiring would be the same as here - LHD models??

The wiring for the fog lamp switch was wrapped up with the wiring for the mirror controls. I simply removed the wrapping the expose the white 6 pin connector (with a green line drawn on the connector) for the fog lamp switch. Maybe your plug is wrapped up elsewhere behind that switch panel??

clifton
11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Damonat,
I did the same thing with my Pootrol as they are worse than the PRADO 2ea compact 55W driving lights mounted under the rear bar ran a bit of Heavy wiring to back fitted fuse and relay WALA :!: I then moded the neighbours 100 cruiser, mates Pootrol and other mates Subaru.
I used to back out of U/G supermarket carparks and blokes would ask me were do you get them?

You are on a winner :) :) :)

mjrandom
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
OT I know but similar to the additional reversing lights I have put a 55W fog lamp on my trailer to help illuminate nightly reversings. Makes a huge difference being able to see amongst the trees!

adamrick
11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I made a setup like this for my rodeo, last month when i got my ute; before my operation. It works great..

There's no use in squidging out your number plates anymore...... :shock: :shock: The clever Germans have figured out a way to 'unsqidge' images.... (remember the pedophile who got caught in Thailand...!!) :shock:

McBAIN
11-06-2008, 08:46 PM

i don't think so.
remeber the hyundai excel.
it has 1 under the DS tail lights in the bumper. it does look c@#p.

that one would meet the centre/right of centre rule... i think it's peugeut's that have them in the centre, most hyundai's have them on the right..

time fore me to do some googling i think...

McBAIN
11-06-2008, 08:55 PM
aah, found some info.

from HERE (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/previewlodgmentattachments/CE50A206790B8258CA25728E00075508/$file/NTCRdTranLegVehStandsRegs06.htm#param196)

comes this

106 Rear fog lights

(1) A vehicle may have fitted to its rear:

(a) a pair of rear fog lights; or

(b) 1 rear fog light fitted on, or to the right, of the centre of the vehicle.

(2) Subrule (1) (b) applies to a motor bike with an attached sidecar as if the sidecar were not attached.

(3) A rear fog light must:

(a) have its centre:

(i) not over 1.5 metres above ground level; and

(ii) at least 100 millimetres from the centre of a brake light; and

(b) when on, project red light behind the vehicle; and

(c) not use over 27 watts power; and

(d) be wired to a visible device in the vehicle that tells the driver that the rear fog light is operating.

so the centre/right of centre appears to only apply if there only 1.

damonat
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
thanks McBAIN.
i'm totally legit with my lights :D

McBAIN
12-06-2008, 10:06 AM
this one would also apply with the above mods for reversing lights i assume

100 Reversing lights

(1) One or more reversing lights may be fitted to the rear of a vehicle and on each side towards the rear of the vehicle.

(2) A reversing light must have its centre not over 1.2 metres above ground level.

(3) When on, a reversing light must show a white or yellow light to the rear or to the side and rear of the vehicle.

Note Third edition ADRs only allow white reversing lights.

(4) A reversing light fitted to a motor vehicle must be wired so it operates only when the vehicle is reversing or in reverse gear.

(5) A reversing light fitted to a trailer must be wired so it operates only when a motor vehicle towing the trailer is reversing or in reverse gear.

(6) A yellow reversing light may also operate as a direction indicator light.

thought point 2 is interesting... i wonder how high the standard ones are.. they must be close!

Keepleft
15-07-2008, 06:11 PM
THE reason why the Prado rear fog lamps are not fitted, but rather have mere 'dummy' lamps here in the AUSTRALIAN market, is *NOT* because of ADR, but rather is a decision made by local Toyota employees that deliberately choose not to opt for them.

ADR 13, Part 8.5.1 makes the fitment of rear fog lamps in Australia 'optional'.

The red corner lamps (which also dual serve as reflex-reflectors) on the Prado's rear bar, IF they were fitted originally as functioning 'rear fogs', as they are in the EU market, - would be 100% legal under ADR's 13 and 52 - AND in the above posting of the National Vehicle Standards as quoted by McBain earlier, EVEN IF only - the drivers side were made so.

This non-fitment of rear fog lamps for all road-going vehicle categories and makes in Australia, is to my mind, seriously negligent in road safety terms.

A vehicles standard taillights are utterly useless in even 3mls of rainwater resting on a freeway surface in daylight. The water spray renders the 5watt taillights, void, particularly at speed!

The European Transport Directorate considers the rear fog lamp to be the worlds 'primary defence' a person has against someone running into your rear when under serious fog conditions, or when caught in torrential rain, blizzards, in duststorms or when in bushfire smoke conditions. It is the only 'fog lamp' that is mandatory in the world today,- front fog lamps by comparision will always be 'optional', everywhere.

In NSW, a rear fog lamp has been a mandatory requirement for all "NSW Fire Brigade" fire fighting vehicles since the late 1980's, AND that 'requirement' has now spread to the NSW Rural Fire Service fire fighting vehicles. You will note these lamps as a single install, placed right-of-centreline.

I would advise ALL other state fire counterparts stipulate the same requirement, on the basis of OH&S. As a steady burning lamp, their performance matches, and exceeds even 12v/55watt (24v/75w) roof-mount flashers - which are often masked sooner in lousy visibility.

Readers will note that certain Toyota models (Cars-MA category) in AUS have a rear fog now.

Note my AVATAR, this is the rear fog lamp symbol, and you see it posted by our Dubai friend as the rear fog lamp switch. IF you see this symbol in any new car, it will have a rear fog.

On modification of a rear fog lamp, and this applies to 'dummy' units; Do NOT wire the lamp unit for use as a 'general taillight', OR as a 'brake-light'. Doing so for the latter in particular can mean a technical defect under ADR 49/00 - 'in relation to photometrics' (of that brake lamp function). This is a seperate issue from the 'placement and mounting' requirements of brake-lights, which differs from that of rear fogs, and therefore on that basis could also mean a defect.

IF you are going to 'use' the dummy lamp, ensure that it is wired and used for its lens-compliance-marked (below) purpose, and therefore its 'designed intention' only. (ARR 217 applies in regards physical use of front and rear fog lamps).

You will likely find the dummy lamp is devoid of a hole used by a bulb holder. Here, you need to 'zero-point' its photometric centre. Often on the lens you will see a dot or similar. Zero-point (for a suited bulb holder) is also the middle of the round 'flat section' of the covering panel.

A rear fog lamp unit will bear COMPLIANCE MARKINGS on the lens, here, near an 'E mark', which is the letter E in a circle with a number next to it (Eg; E13), will be the designation; "F00", or "00".

If you are not going to use the Toyota rear fog switch, ensure the switch you use has a yellow/amber telltale (LED etc) or that a telltale of the same colour is included in the circuit. This is mandatory, it serves to tell you the rear fog is ON. You can take the 'feed' from the front fog lamps if equipped, or sidelights/headlights..

So, you are free to wire-up rear fogs, but in RHD countries such as AUS/NZ/PNG etc, you wire the driver-side only, OR, if you prefer, you can wire both sides.

Adding an additional but seperate 'reversing lamp', per an earlier photo example; I would suggest mounting this lamp on the rear-left, not rear right. You do this, in case GovCo ever mandates rear fogs, which would, in single lamp unit installs, be on the rear right - seeing as AUS and NZ is an RHD country.

Chances of this? (for current registered vehicles) Buckleys, but we could mandate the rear fog for new-market entries in time. Keep the right rear of vehicles clear, for a rear fog, and place additional reverse lamps and the like, on the left.

For trailers, on a 12 volt PIN system, PIN 11 applies for rear fog.

Folk will note some newer caravans have Euro taillight assemblies, sometimes- local manufacturers make the mistake of wiring the rear fog compartments native in these as 'extra brake-lights', meaning the caravan then has two quite distinct levels of brightness being displayed, whenever the brake pedal is pressed. As mentioned earlier, also defectable.

Another reason why ADR13 Part 8.5.1 needs to be recinded. One day, Australia *might* just get it right.

jcas24
15-07-2008, 06:51 PM
interesting 1st post

MickL
15-07-2008, 06:58 PM
interesting 1st post

I was thinking long first post... hell of a word count :D :D

Mick

jcas24
15-07-2008, 07:04 PM
not so interesting 1st post :P just j/k Bart.

Keepleft, is this kind of info readily available online at all? This is type of info can be highly sort after by many people, especially considering the fact that so many people are particular about keeping their vehicles in complaince & engineered.

Keepleft
15-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Thank you folks. I had been Googling on a similar subject and came across this thread, saw a need to respond.

I am a member of many a motoring forum, it follows my NSW 'motorists advocacy' path I guess.

The rear fog lamps as mentioned, are governed for new market vehicle entries by ADR52 (photometrics et al) and by 'wiring and mounting requirements' by ADR's 13 (Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles), and by ADR19 (Installation of Lighting & Light-signalling Devices on L-Group Vehicles).
https://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/motor/d ... nline.aspx (https://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx)
(Take the link provided to Comlaw site).

Use of front and rear fog lamps is governed by Australian Road Rule 217, and this is in turn is then imparted into each State and Territories driver manual.

The ADR's are nowadays legislative instruments, and can all be openly accessed online, via the link provided.

Jacto
16-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't care about the word count or the length of the "1st Post", this forum is all about parting with information, so excellent job Keepleft, well done :D :D :D

edblue
16-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi all, I was able to install this fog lamp as per original specs from toyota. It is a very challenging project but it can be done, the hardest part on this mod is the indicator found on the speedo cluster, this has to be taken apart for you to be able to get the fog lamp indicator to work. you will require a diode, capacitor, and a resistor all are SMD so you need a good soldering iron. I have a GXL so I just took these parts out from the height adjustable suspension led circuit. You can buy the switch locally but the wirring harness does not exist behind the dash, so you have to do them yourself. The only wire that exist is lamp wire which ends in the front passenger side kick panel. If any is interested in getting the information let me know I can help with the install.

adamrick
22-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi all, I was able to install this fog lamp as per original specs from toyota. It is a very challenging project but it can be done, the hardest part on this mod is the indicator found on the speedo cluster, this has to be taken apart for you to be able to get the fog lamp indicator to work. you will require a diode, capacitor, and a resistor all are SMD so you need a good soldering iron. I have a GXL so I just took these parts out from the height adjustable suspension led circuit. You can buy the switch locally but the wirring harness does not exist behind the dash, so you have to do them yourself. The only wire that exist is lamp wire which ends in the front passenger side kick panel. If any is interested in getting the information let me know I can help with the install.

Hey Edblu,

From your post it seems the white multiplug was not evident in your AUS model GXL...? Maybe it's only available in the VX..?

I had no hassles wiring up my rear fogs as I said in my original post. I went an bought the parts as per my posted parts list and fitted them together... a bit like a Lego kit! No hacking into harnesses etc... I have to add the LED inside the dash panel, but here in Dubai it's not mandatory. But the rear fog switch is illuminated internally, so would that count in your country?

Can you post pics of your harness? Maybe it's different in the GXL to the VX

SM10
27-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I managed to get the final story on getting the rear fog lamps to work :D :D

You need to order:

Simply insert the switch into the top left receptacle in the driver's switch panel. Connect the white connector, with the green line through it, to the switch (no need for any relays or additional wiring).

Remove the fog lamp 'blanks/dummies' from the rear bumper. Insert the 12v lamp into the wiring harness 82214-60050. Insert this into the new fog lamp housing. Insert the new fog lamp into the bumper and connect the grey connector to the male counterpart under the bumper.

Hey Presto!!!! Working fog lamps!!!

adamrick,

Is this part number for a left and/or right fog lamp lens and body? As the left and right are different parts and cannot be interchanged, I would expect there to be two part numbers, one for each side.

Steve & Sandra
27-07-2008, 08:32 PM
There is nothing worse than sitting behind some joker who insists on having this bright red light burning holes in the back of my eyes. hyundai drivers seem to be the worst culprit for this.

adamrick
29-07-2008, 01:59 PM
@ SM10

I see your point! I'll post up the correct part numbers for left and right assemblies later today (your evening time).

EDIT: I believe 81591-60132 - is the left side Lens & Body.

81581-60132 - is the right side Lens & Body

I will confirm this tomorrow

@ Steve and Sandra

I couldn't agree with you more. However, I only use my rear fogs when in thick fog or thick dust storms (of which we have a few here)... See http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/traffic_ ... 96597.html (http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/traffic_and_transport/10196597.html) and then you will understand the need for rear fogs in this crazy place.

People here drive with their hazards on in fog/dust storms and don't realise this is a fatal error (one which caused this massive accident).

edblue
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi adamrick, the australian model does not have this harness, I have seen a 2005 grande and it too does not have this harness, what we have is just the dimmer and side mirror control wires :cry: . The instrument cluster does not also have the rear fog lamp indicator on it and the components are also missing...... But I was able to do this mod as it should be done. Sorry I am new to this forum so I don't know how to post pictures just yet, I have taken some picture of the mods so as soon as I learn this posting thing I will post pictures.

adamrick
11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Ed,

I got good advice here to use Photobucket to show pics...

Just create a free Photobucket account and upload your pics there, then come back here and use the img button to link to your pics at photobucket.

Keepleft
29-08-2008, 01:15 PM
People here drive with their hazards on in fog/dust storms and don't realise this is a fatal error (one which caused this massive accident).

Australia also has this backward allowance, it was adopted nationally into the Australian Road Rules (Rule 217) in 1999, from New South Wales state legislation, that was in turn, created back in 1988 following a 53 car pile-up on the NSW F6 in heavy fog conditions.

How it came about in NSW:-
A member of the public, following the 1988 event, with support of Illawarra police, figured that; "since fog is considered a hazard, why should we not be able to use our hazard-lights in the hazard"? (Yes, the thought process *was* that simple and as was explained to me).

Wollongong police then championed the idea further based on a Californian traffic concept called "Operation Fogdown", which involved blocks of vehicles being escorted by highway patrol through heavy fog, - all with their hazard flashing simultaneously. (REM that US cars had RED flashers, red hazards, red brake, red tail lamps and of course red reflex reflectors. They allow now 'amber').

The matter then became political, with NSW MP Brad Hazzard having permissible regulation passed, by an ignorant (of-the-other-alternative) parliament.

In California, their fogdown program was later found to be unworkable and even dangerous, and it soon stopped.

WHAT NSW SHOULD HAVE DONE INSTEAD OF ADOPTING THE HAZARDS BUSINESS;-
Advocated - for a change in ADR13 that would have effectively mandated the rear fog lamp (they are brighter than hazards, AND they allow the lane-change signal to be given corectly, AND eliminates complacency that sets in when folk routinely see hazards-on in heavy fog like conditions, where a vehicle ahead might-actually-be-stopped-at-a-crash-scene and not mobile. for new market entries, with a lead-in time for Compliance.

OR, it could have created a state-based 'mandatory requirement' for the purposes of registration, so that new market vehicles would have been supplied with a rear-fog lamp ADR52 regulation, effectively mandating something that ADR13 did (and still does) not!

The states *can* create such regulation, regardless of federal opinion.

FURTHER;- The use of hazard-warning lights under heavy fog and like conditions on moving vehicles, runs contrary to the allowance of the hazards signal held under The 1968 "United Nations Convention on Road Traffic, Signs & Signals", including current amendments.

I would expect with time the Australian hazards allowance held at ARR 221 (e) to be recinded. This should bring us back in line with the rest of the world team.

UAE and other Gulf States, like AUS, simply need to mandate the rear fog on new market vehicles without fail, per requirements held in UNECE 38, that is all.

I'd expect the North American market to do so in time as part of FMVSS108 requirements, their SAE recommended practice is SAEJ1319, and that in turn accepts the UNECE 38 regulation alternatives.

** To help educate then RTA tollway crash attendance staff and RTA towies about rear fogs, I set about installing rear fogs to service vehicles for that region. (with amber telltale as required). Later installed same to Katoomba police vehicles, to educate them as the existence of rear fogs.

Educational effort extended to information being imparted into our then 'driver training manual', so the public would learn about them as generations continue. Even did this for New York State, the only US State with text teaching its readers what rear fogs are, and when they may be used. Little wonder then the complaints about rear fogs being used in clear conditions rose stateside, ONLY ONE state teaches anything about them, duh!

*** NSW Fire Brigade fire fighting trucks MUST have a rear fog, this requirement is now carried into ther NSW Rural Fire Fighting Service fleet too.

Basis; Occupational Health & Safety.

pradojunkie
10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey Thanks adamrick

I followed ur parts list except for the new lens and body kit. I just made a hole using a 3/4" hole saw and then cut out the sides to match the shape in the bulb holder and just inserted and turned it for a locked fit. The cost came upto AED 190 (40 each for the bulb holder and wire, 10 each for the wedge base bulbs and 95 for the Rear Fog Switch).Now I have a doubt on whether the heat build up wud cause anything or shud i be removing the small rubber plug found next to the bulb hole to release the heat. Any Advice !!!!

adamrick
11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Pradojunkie,

Nice to see another Dubai resident active in Pradopoint :D I was feeling very lonely here for a while :shock: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the best Prado forum on the web!!

I don't think it's necessary to remove the rubber bungs next to the "...bulb hole..." as the heat generated will not be enough to melt the ABS plastic housing. Where did you get the rear fog switch from? I had to go to Deira car market as Toyota on Shk. Zayed Rd. didn't stock the switch.

pradojunkie
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Adamrick,

Thanks and Glad to be a member of the best Prado forum. :D The prado's been my dream car for a while and now since i own one, I wont be selling it off at all maybe. 2 yrs now and already crossed 120000 kms. Didnt know where to source the original parts thats why i started late on the modding bit. Anyway now I got a guy in Al Barsha who will get me any original toyota part from Oman. I have gone to Al Futtaim and they never get me what i want. Even my car I had to get it from Oman for the features and color i needed.
Abt the Rubber bungs in the Fog Lamp, I thought it should be for the heat as I dunno what purpose they serve otherwise. If you notice a 30 min drive with the lights on got the casing heated up when compared to the top brake lights. For the parts I used TVR Amani Auto Parts in Al Barsha, If they dont have it, they have the Toyota parts software which will tell them which part number we are looking for based on my chasis number and source it for me from Oman within 2 days.But these guys dont stock accessories for Toyota so now I am on the lookout for someone in UAE who can source original Toyota accessories for me.

Now I am on a project to see if I can get the Front and Rear Fog light indicators on the front cluster to work as I cannot know if they are 'on' or 'Off' when driving. I was reading abt doing that mod on the forum and hopefully get it to work. :D
Will post abt this later.

Signature035
20-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Was following another Prado yesterday who had the dummy rear fog lights wired to his brake lights. Looked good, but in reading this thread..... may be illegal?

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z295/signature035/prado003-1.jpg
Apologie for image quality....phone camera

Golly
01-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Goes to show how stupid law makers are.... why should something be illegal if
1. The original car has the facilities there for the lights.
2. By installing these with normal tailight globes there is more light visible to people.
3. See point 2.

BAZPRADO
24-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Done :mrgreen: Bought the same parts and followed the same instructions, total cost of around 143.00 Australian Dollars, one of the easiest mods I ever made; it should also provide more security during the heavy morning fog that we have here during the season changeovers.

A few comments:

1- There are no visible warnings to alert you whether the rear fogs are either on or off, nothing on the dash
2- I would not worry about the heat generated by the lamps, they appear to be designed for the light bulbs
3- The wiring is already built in. For those who are crafty, if you can drill holes in your exiting rear lenses, you can save your self a bunch of money, I just wanted to go OEM all the way.
4- The rear fogs can only be turned on when the front headlights are on, this is a good safety feature I guess.

Thanks Adamrick for sharing this with us, a great Mod indeed.

Keepleft
04-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Was following another Prado yesterday who had the dummy rear fog lights wired to his brake lights. Looked good, but in reading this thread..... may be illegal?

Yes, and 'dumb' really without signaling offence, the owner should have wired the 'dummy' rear fog lamps, or the driver-side unit alone (UNECE marked 'F00'), as a functioning rear fog instead - with a switch bearing required orange/yellow telltale, and taken the 'feed' from the front fog lamp positive. A defect can apply; the mod likely contravenes ADR49/00 in relation to photometrics, (brake-light brightness, though pic isn't the best).

I had a Ford Falcon Ghia at postcode 2264 a day or so ago, the driver had wired up his ADR'ed cornering lamps 'on'- full time! God help us if we mandate DRL's, we'd have front fogs ON, low-beam ON, DRL's modded to stay on!!!

To help combat these sorts of backward mods eventuating, AND to give road users the best rear-lighting safety gear available 'as standard a la EU and China market' - in relation to poor visibility driving; the NSW government, via its RTA Centre For Road Safety, as an ADR board member, is to seek a *compulsory* rear fog lamp ADR. See the first weblink.

Basically we'll look at rescinding ADR 13, Part 8.5.1 which "optionalises" the UNECE source Transport Regulation 38, which has the item as an intended mandatory feature for "states parties" to adopt.
http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/ind ... pic=450922 (http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=450922)

Whingers who complain about rear fog glare (and sitting behind the Prado btw; drivers will see the two varying levels of brightness as brakes are applied) through mis-use, would be pleased police would have an enforcement program against those using the function in clear conditions, and such mods would then reduce in number.

Goes to show how stupid law makers are.... why should something be illegal if
1. The original car has the facilities there for the lights.
2. By installing these with normal tailight globes there is more light visible to people.
3. See point 2.
"Normal taillight globes"? Much more to it than that Golly; the particular lamp is *only complianced* for use as a rear fog lamp, it is 'brighter' than a brake-light by virtue of its reflector and lens design, despite bearing the same wattage. Angle_of_view of the rear fog lamp, when compared to a complianced brake lamp also plays a part as to its technical default,- as to why the mod is illegal. Toyota Australia have simply chosen, to date, to not fit the rear fog lamp; saves $, and is a signal of our poor ADR's to date on the matter, that NSW now seeks to change.

IF one cannot SEE the remaining three regular tail/stop lamps, then we have eyesight problems and such people likely need to retire from the roads.

http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2009/ ... de-safety/ (http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2009/07/14/calls-for-improved-roadside-safety/)

Keepleft
17-09-2009, 01:28 PM
As a follow up, found the Singapore penalty for mis-using front and or rear fog lamps:-) Enjoy.... See Question 5.

http://ask.lta.gov.sg/home/lta/listings ... 52#2289838 (http://ask.lta.gov.sg/home/lta/listings.asp?projectid=9274006&category=45052#2289838)

Kinda makes the NSW $78 penalty, 'weak', $160 in VIC I think . . . . .

damonat
22-09-2009, 07:48 PM
As a follow up, found the Singapore penalty for mis-using front and or rear fog lamps:-) Enjoy.... See Question 5.

http://ask.lta.gov.sg/home/lta/listings ... 52#2289838 (http://ask.lta.gov.sg/home/lta/listings.asp?projectid=9274006&category=45052#2289838)

Kinda makes the NSW $78 penalty, 'weak', $160 in VIC I think . . . . .
blah blah blah
move on

Eurostar
24-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi all

Queensland Transport has recently announced changes to the Queensland Road Rules as from 12 October 2009 and one of those changes relates to the use of front fog lights. The penalty is only $40.00. The new front fog light law in Qld, is now the same as fog light laws in most other states. The rear fog light law remains in place. Fog lights (rear and front) can only be used inclement weather conditions, which is defined on the QT website as

if you are having trouble seeing other vehicles or objects around you due to the adverse weather conditions (that is, heavy rain or fog), fog lights can be used.

Other new road rule changes are listed on the QT website http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/General_information/Rules_and_regulations/Road/ and explained in a pdf from on that website http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb74670b62f0269/Pdf_qld_road_rules_11_sept_09.pdf.

hisham saeed
12-12-2010, 06:17 PM
well, i finally got my parts installed, and i'm happy with it , very easy & simple , bought the parts listed by Adamrick in the first post , i was lucky to get the fog lights + bulbes + harness from a wrecker and the switch a friend of mine send it to me from Kuwait all costs 130A$.

thanks to Adamrick.

regards
hisham

rashidjafar
21-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi,
Can u post a pic of it please

kingtron
02-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info
the correct parts for Lens & Body WITH(REAR FOG LAMP):
81591‑60132 Left
81581‑60102 Right
2 x 90981‑13043 Bulb

and like you said before:

84165-33040 - Fog Lamp Switch Assy

@ SM10

I see your point! I'll post up the correct part numbers for left and right assemblies later today (your evening time).

EDIT: I believe 81591-60132 - is the left side Lens & Body.

81581-60132 - is the right side Lens & Body

I will confirm this tomorrow

@ Steve and Sandra

I couldn't agree with you more. However, I only use my rear fogs when in thick fog or thick dust storms (of which we have a few here)... See http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/traffic_ ... 96597.html (http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/traffic_and_transport/10196597.html) and then you will understand the need for rear fogs in this crazy place.