PDA

View Full Version : Tekonsha Wiring Harness

andrewh
19-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I have just ordered a Tekonsha P3 brake controller from the US. I see there are OEM wiring harnesses available for 2002 and onwards Toyotas and Lexus, including the Prado 120 equivalent in the US. It appears that these harnesses simply plug into an existing plug somewhere under the dash.
Does anyone know if the Australian Prado is wired similarly so these harneses can be used here too?

Richo
19-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't comment on the brake controller wiring but I have had experience with the radio/satnav wiring and purchasing a similar type of loom.
So far they have all worked perfectly and just plugged straight in.

As I said, not sure about the brake wiring but I reckon you'd have more than a fair chance of it working.

andrewh
20-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks Richo

I think I'll order one and try it out!

Only A Hammer
04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
I think I'll order one and try it out!

Hi Andrewh
Did you ever find out if there is a suitable connector available behind the dash, and which wiring harness you would need to connect to the P3. I have just bought one. The dealer wants $150 to fit it, but if it can be 'plug and play' .....

Thanks
OAH

Prado04
05-09-2008, 06:17 AM
It would be interesting to see if it does seeing I have to fit one soon. Any thing to save a bit of time. :D

andrewh
05-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi OAH,

No luck.... I tried to find a connector.... don't think it's there :cry: . I cabled it the old fashioned way.

Only A Hammer
05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
How are you finding the P3. Where did you install it. Do you have any photo's of it installed?

andrewh
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
AOL

The P3 works very well and gives clear feedback on the screen. As far as I can tell it doesn't work any better than the Prodigy, bit gives a little better info on screen.
You can see from the pics where I mounted it. It is reasonably easy to read from the driving position, but you do need to crane around the steering wheel. I put it there because it's high enough to be out of the way of the left knee, not too hard to read and easily reached if you want to use the override lever.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/ah55_bucket/IMG_0935.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/ah55_bucket/IMG_0936.jpg

Only A Hammer
20-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi ANdrew

Sorry about the delay in replying. Thanks for the photo's they look good, and are helpful. I get my new toy on Monday (2 days...!!!!!!!!) :D :D :D . The brake controller is going to be fitted a few days later. I think I will end up putting it in the same place as you have....
Thanks Again

OAH