PDA

View Full Version : Which Fridge Brand?

borgy
08-01-2008, 05:46 PM
<Did a search and could not find this done previously>

Hi all,

Thought it may be worthwhile to get a sense of which brands of Fridge people have out there, and their comments !!

Cheers
Borgy

Byrnsie
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a 50l Waeco and must say it has been great. My mate however has the 60l and it crapped itself last week on the first day of a 7 day camping trip . . . NOT HAPPY JAN!

My next purchase to supplement the Waeco will be an icebox. Thinking of getting one of the Techni Ice ones you see on Ebay.

Techni Ice (http://www.techniice.com)

Anyone have any experience with this brand of icebox or any others they care to praise or bag.

Cheers - Byrnsie

samo
08-01-2008, 06:58 PM
hey byrnsie i have a 73ltr downunder icebox and on a recent camping trip we went away for 4 days and i had 4 x 2ltr frozen water bottles to keep thing cool and after unpacking the esky when i got home they still had some ice in them. i use it as a food esky and the temp was about 30dec 4 4 days running, probably got opened about 10 times a day it cost $310 from amart and it came with a basket. It is insulated fibreglass 50mm lid and sides, exactly like an evakool but cheaper. but not as good as a waeco. but the best thing of all its australian made. cheers samo

Bomber-74
08-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a 40L engel and love it. I set it on around 1.5 so it doesn't freeze the vege's. Got it pretty cheap 4 years ago for under $1K brand new.

I have a mate that has a Waeco similiar size and it has served him well. He had one small issue with it with the power lead. Repaired under warranty and has been faultless since.

D4D-GXL
08-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Borgy - I have a 40Ltr Engel Fridge/freezer with a Waeco slide. It seems to be better than the Engel slide and works quite nicely. Anyway, I am developing my own style of slide/drop tray to suit the engel. I know these are available aftermarket, but at around $450 I think the spare change will provide some good accessories.

Gordon

Grandeman
08-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Put me down for Engel :D

Chippy
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I have 2 x WAECO CF35s that live in the front of the camper trailer although, at the moment, one of them lives permanently in the back of the Prado.

My other toy is a second hand WAECO 110 L that I got from Pedro on the Gold Coast. For those longer trips .... weeks or even months on the road ... it is worth its weight in gold. :D

Cheers
Chippy

MTpockets
08-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I am the benchmark, I own a EvaKool 60 litre fridge freezer.
Best investment I have made apart from the Prado, and the porta-potti. 8)

Grandeman
08-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey Les

I hope the EvaKool keeps the beers cooler than the porta-potti... :D :D :D

08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
If you can still get one buy a Liemack !

They actually freeze stuff in the tropics, they are built like a tank and keep going and going........

They changed names to Reefer (refrigeration research) a couple of years ago. I heard there was some patent (copyright) issues.

They were and still are in many respects years ahead in design 10 years ago. I have done over 700 K with mine and it still keeps stuff frozen at -18C in the tropics. I still would like to see that with another brand !!

The guy who originally made them was an ex-remote station refrigeration installer and apparently got the willies that no one made a car fridge that actually work in the higher temps.

On a 750CCA battery it lasts about 4 days, it does suck a bit of power and needs some heavy wiring to make it work but it works extremely well !!!

If you are travelling to the tropics and you fish make sure you can freeze your catch. You also need to get unbias reviews from people who actually own a fridge. Unfortunately most of the 4wd mags in Australia have advertising considerations to think about. If you flick through the first 10 pages of junk mail in any mag you will see where their bias lays.

Llamaboy
08-01-2008, 10:50 PM
We have a 50l Waeco had a few problems with the poly fuse and lose connections, but works well up here in the tropics. We supplement the fridge with a eva cool eski.

mototrim
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Ditto Llamaboy,
Wacoe 50 and the evakool eski is probably one of the best investments ive made. In 40 degree heat it has kept ice for 4 days but its only prob are the bungy locks they can break and they will replace them for free :D

Justo
09-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Engel for me, bought it about 4.5 - 5 years ago and have never had an issue. Reliability of the old engels was what sold me, they last forever. Also when I bought it the 12,24 & 240v auto switching wasn't available on Waeco and you had to run the seperate power reducer if you wanted 240V.!!! That was a big negative for me back then, but I think Waeco have got their act together on those issues now.

peterg4508
09-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Engel's for me, I bought a 39L off my grandparents 7 years ago that would now be 25 years old and still goes like a trooper, recently bought a new 40L while they were giving away extras. You just cant beat em. I also have a 96L Evacool esky that is awesome, 7 days camping and still bring ice home.

Peter

bilobill
09-01-2008, 07:26 AM
I have a 40Ltr Engel Fridge/freezer with a two zone compartment.
The fridge handles the second compartment with ease, even freezing everything untill i worked out the settings. Gives lots more room for keeping a cold one. :D
The down side is that you have to lift out the top basket each time you want to access the bottom compartment. When traveling the complete unit is hard to access because of the height. :(

Kevin
09-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I have had a Waeco CF50 for about 6 years and the only issue was the original lid warped. Got it replace under warranty. With the camper I got a 75L Autofridge. For touring we will use the CF50 as a freezer in the Prado and the Autofridge as fridge in trailer.

Chuck
09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
50L Waeco for about 6yrs never failed to provide cold beer. 8)
Was immersed in about 15cm of water one night after a storm at the camp grounds at Brooms Head, I just tipped it up drained out the water and it fired up straight away.
I have modifed the cord to be an anderson plug connection.
I also have a 120L Techni esky $100 on eBay.

Simmo67
09-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Waeco 60L
Stays in the Prado most of the time. Bloody handy - even if the missus and I are just shopping down the street - we throw the frozen stuff in the
Waeco and can have a long lunch if we want.

Got the aftermarket wiring to the cargo area with "Always On' facility. Also to the Coolpower 36 Portable Power pack which works well (poor-mans dual battery system :oops: )

Nobby
09-01-2008, 12:57 PM
We have a 18l Waeco for the drinks fridge and a 60l Evakool F/F for the food. Have to say that both work beautifully. As someone said - Best investment I've aver made.

MattWhite
09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
The management has a 80lt Waeco for food etc and I have a 40lt waeco for compulsory items such as Alcoholic beverages. :wink:

Matt

KMKPrado
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a 50L Dometic Chescold 3 way and love it. It is a fridge/freezer, runs awesome on gas and 240 and can keep the temperature while transporting on 12v. Runs for approx 20 days on a 9kg cylinder. Good sturdy outer casing and well put together. I don't like the latches to keep the lid shut but they do the job. Choose it mainly so I had the option to run on gas while at the camping site. I pre cool it using 240 at home, 12v during transport and gas at the destination. kmk

borgy
13-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi all

Thanks for all your input/details..

We took the plunge today and bought a.....

Engel 40L !!!!

Got the fridge (the Series 2 one), a transit bag, the lock'n'lock pack, a Engel camp light, and a can-type inverter for $1150 - seemed pretty competive around here!

We also picked up a Waeco 60L icebox with a shelf!!! :-)

Now, gotta try and sell our old (25-30Yr) small (~16L? ish) but working Engel!

Cheers to all
Borgy

Big Fella
13-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Well we currently have a 40ltr Engel. Top fridge, always have it in the car in case of a shopping trip. We also have had a Finch 33ltr 3 way fridge that shat itself and my battery in Dubbo on our second day of a 5 week trip. This required us to buy a 60ltr Engel and modify our Trakshak camper to fir it in. (40ltr was too high). Sold to 60ltr with the camper and from last reports still going strong. Got a couple of crappy eskies for parties etc.

14-01-2008, 02:50 AM
I just won a new Waeco CF-50 on eBay today for $720 with protective insulating bag and 12-240v power adapts .

definately happy to INVEST at that price :D

steve johno
14-01-2008, 05:41 PM
after checking out all available fridges, decided to go with the 50ltr Waeco, so far not too bad but have a bit of variation with the digital temp readout.

MattWhite
14-01-2008, 07:37 PM
after checking out all available fridges, decided to go with the 50ltr Waeco, so far not too bad but have a bit of variation with the digital temp readout.

I found the same thing Steve. I just use them as a guide now. My 80L works well at -1 as a fridge while the 40L works well at 1 degree. If I put the 40 at -1 it freezes everything. I just worked out where they were happy to operate at and just use it as a guide to what the fridge is doing rather than a true thermometer.

Matt

14-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I just won a new Waeco CF-50 on eBay today for $720 with protective insulating bag and 12-240v power adapts .

definately happy to INVEST at that price :D

Well done Billy,

Great price !!!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=017 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270201368185&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017)

Havn't got it yet but the hard work is done :D

hoppy
15-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Just committed to the National Luna "weekender" . $1800 .......... better be good. Its not listed on their website yet as it is such a new model. Fridge with a separate freezer. Will let you know my thoughts on my return form QLD.

D4Dazz
16-01-2008, 04:49 PM
40lt Engel and 60Ltr Evakool Esky if needed

ntp
16-01-2009, 09:21 PM
40L Waeco Xmas present. 8)

Dobbo
16-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Just picked up a Waeco CF-60 today that I bought off Fleabay , to replace my Chescold 50 ltr fridge/freezer. Loved the Chescold for when we are camping in the one spot for a while but I've only ever used it on 240v wherever we have been and it won't be any good for later in the year when we head to the Pradopoint GTG and the Simpson on the way back so I'll probably try to flog it on here or on Ebay in the next couple of weeks.
Also have a 62ltr Tropicool icebox to keep the kids out of the fridge during the day as well as an 8ltr Waeco Bordbar drink fridge for travelling.

Dobbo

4tshorty
30-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Still have my trusty old Waeco CCF-45, which served lots of time in the back of the 80 series as a permanent fixture!

I think it is about 7-8 years old now, and I have only had to have a thermistor replaced when it kept freezing everything.......beer became slush puppy :lol:
Was only a $60 repair from memory as it was out of warranty unfortunately.
Other than that, been a good unit.

Cheers, Mat

ades
01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone has bought one of the new ARB fridges?

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-freezer-fridges/

I'm keen to know if they are as good as claimed.

Thinking about getting one in March but until then will wire up the car and do the second battery installation.

Regards

Adrian

LostDingo2
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone has bought one of the new ARB fridges?

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-freezer-fridges/

I'm keen to know if they are as good as claimed.

Thinking about getting one in March but until then will wire up the car and do the second battery installation.

Regards

Adrian

I don't own one but just came out of ARB Artarmon Sydney. It's a nice bit of gear and has had some thought placed into it. It is basiclly a WAECO CF-50 rebadged but reconfigured.

What I liked:

-Double lock down latch, not as likely to get knocked open
-Drain hole......how good is that! Why hasn't WAECO done this!
-controls are recessed and at the front so not only protected but more realistically placed

last note..........

I want one :mrgreen:

ades
04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
LostDingo2

Thanks for the opinion. I'll keep on track for March. Just gathering the bits to do my dual battery installation.

I'll drop in to an ARB store for a close look.

Adrian

samo
05-02-2009, 04:31 PM
put me down for a waeco cf 60, nice size to fit plenty of beers in

mav
05-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I thought I had already contributed to this thread but it seems not. Anyway we bought a 51lt Downunder 12/240 volt in December it has the same Danfoss compressor as the Waeco's. Very nice fridge/freezer and for the price I could not ask for more. I would have liked to of brought it back with me to Alice from our holiday home but my folks could not fit the double door fridge/freezer in the temporary rental house so it is in the garage. Our Downunder is now being used as a temporary fridge in the kitchen of the rental until they can move into the new house in June. For the couple of weeks I was in the rental the Downunder worked brilliantly in its new role and is still going strong. Has not been turned off for a month now and will be on until June at least.

dustie
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Mav,

My downunder has been running has been running 24x7 for 3 years and still going good. Infact the guy who started Downunder is an ex director of Evakool.

mav
05-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Mav,

My downunder has been running has been running 24x7 for 3 years and still going good. Infact the guy who started Downunder is an ex director of Evakool.

It is a really nice portable fridge/freezer, when I was using it as a portable I could turn it off and leave it in the car and everything would still be cold the next morning.

MDS69
17-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I was in Supercrap auto yesterday looking for those $10 Ben Dark seat covers from another thread and spotted a 35L Mobicool 3 way fridge. It was $399.00. What was interesting was the Waeco warranty form inside :shock: . I couldn't find any other reference to Waeco in the instruction manual though. Reading all the speil about this fridge it said it cools to 25 degrees below ambient temperature. So does this mean if it is a 45 degree day it cools to 20 degrees :? . Can anyone offer anymore info on this. Apparently it comes with an ice cube tray so it must be capable to freeze. I don't have photobucket at work so I can't post up pics.

Just found a link for the 40L
http://www.mobicool.com/pages/products/ ... s_full.htm (http://www.mobicool.com/pages/products/outdoor/a40dcacgas_full.htm)

HGMonaro
17-03-2009, 01:59 PM
bought a fridge couple of weeks ago so now I get to vote :)

bought a Engel 40lt as I wanted/designed my shelf 'system' to suit (end opening rather than side opening like Waeco's and Engel Eclipse range) after borrowing father-in-laws a few times. $997 incl transit bag and some other odds and sods they call 'the Ultimate pack'... fridge dividers, Engel positive fit plug, old style thermometer (wired sensor) and a set of "lock & lock" containers (impressed the wife with those... said she could have them!) :)

Ironically, went away last week and didn't take it! lol!