PDA

View Full Version : ScanGaugeII - Speedo Accuracy

Drew
08-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Seeing this old thread come to the surface gave me a thought.

Have you considered the following:

Buy a ScanGaugeII from www.scangauge.com (http://www.scangauge.com) - they feature a speed readout and the readout can have a correction applied. My ScanGauge is fitted to the top of my steering column so it's easy to see (although I don't use it for speed as I have original rolling diameters).

Just work out the error and apply it when you read the speedo. If you work out that true 80km/h is 76 indicated, and true 100km/h is 95 indicated then just apply this 5% error to what you see. You could even make a small cheat sheet and laminate it and put it under your sun visor. That's what we do for compasses and airspeed indicators in aircraft I fly.

BTW, ditto on Matt's posts. WTF is going on there Matt?

Cheers,

Drew.

McBAIN
08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Seeing this old thread come to the surface gave me a thought.

Have you considered the following:

Buy a ScanGaugeII from www.scangauge.com (http://www.scangauge.com) - they feature a speed readout and the readout can have a correction applied. My ScanGauge is fitted to the top of my steering column so it's easy to see (although I don't use it for speed as I have original rolling diameters).

Drew.

i like the look of this! I know it came up on here a while back, but i didn't know anyone actually had it in action.

How easy to install? can you change it to km/h? does it do all it says it will?

Drew
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
G'day McBain,

I've had my ScanGaugeII for about a year now and I love it. It's one of those things that really lives up to it's promises.

It is easily changed to kilometres though the menu system.

It's very easily installed. It comes with good quality genuine Velcro. I've attached mine to the top of my steering column and it's very easily read while driving while the steering wheel is straight. The data cable plugs in to the OBDII port located near the fuse box under the dash. I have just run the cable inside the dash behind the steering column and down to the port. I haven't even bothered to cable tie it so it's easily swapped between cars. If you think Velcro sounds dodgy - rest assured it is secure and looks very neat, especially considering the vehicle's interior is black plastic.

I use it to always display my fuel flow rate in litres per hour, % load on engine, inlet air temp and system voltage. The gauge display can be customised to show any of the available parameters. Manifold pressure isn't available on the 120 though, but fuel flow is more worthwhile data anyway. The inlet air temp is very interesting to watch, especially since I had a snorkel recently fitted.

I also use the SGII to track my fuel consumption, it has very useful data like litres remaining and kilometres range remaining based on your average usage. I even shows your consumption figures to current trip, today, yesterday and this tank. Very handy when touring and towing. Knowing exactly how many kilometres you can go on your current tank is very valuable.

BTW, their website says they don't ship overseas but I didn't have any problems. A bunch of the people on LCOOL have also received them fine.

I did ask the manufacturer if he was interested in selling them to me wholesale and I re-sell in Australia, I have many years experience in wholesale/retail management (previous life) but he wasn't interested in going through the motions. I guess he figured his domestic USA sales would far outweigh messing around setting up an Aussie distributor. I reckon an advert in some motoring magazines over here and I'd be able to sell hundreds. Oh well, I'm too flamin' busy anyway!

I've been planning on writing a review of the unit and posting it in the General section. I'll take some photos today and put something together soon.

Cheers,

Drew.

Drew
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Mmmm,

Boys, it's a long story.. Don't really want to say much more. Sorry for any hassel.

Kewlo.

BTW, it's great to see the brag list (accessories list) growing on your signature. :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.

McBAIN
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
It's very easily installed. It comes with good quality genuine Velcro. I've attached mine to the top of my steering column and it's very easily read while driving while the steering wheel is straight. The data cable plugs in to the OBDII port located near the fuse box under the dash. I have just run the cable inside the dash behind the steering column and down to the port. I haven't even bothered to cable tie it so it's easily swapped between cars. If you think Velcro sounds dodgy - rest assured it is secure and looks very neat, especially considering the vehicle's interior is black plastic.

Nice, I have no problems with velcro and good to know it connects under the dash! any ideas if it works on diesel? i'll send through a query to the sellers but thought i'd see if you knew.

I've been planning on writing a review of the unit and posting it in the General section. I'll take some photos today and put something together soon.

Cheers,

Drew.

look forward to that! I've gone from "interested" to "very interested" now... which is not good because i have a tendency to impulse buy :)

Drew
08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Any ideas if it works on diesel? i'll send through a query to the sellers but thought i'd see if you knew.

No idea. I can't remember if any of the LCOOL users had it working on a diesel. You are welcome to try mine if you are in NSW.

look forward to that! I've gone from "interested" to "very interested" now... which is not good because i have a tendency to impulse buy :)

Don't mention impulse buying...... :roll: In the last 4 weeks I've bought a winch, winch cradle, snorkel, Bilstiens and OME springs. Hence the warning in my signature.

I'm getting used to sleeping in the dog kennel. The dogs are starting to get a bit grassed off though. :lol:

Drew.
8)

toytech
08-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi all, this is my first post. Drew you say you purchased a Scanguage 2 from USA, was there any problem getting it & how much was it in Aussie dollars + freight?

Drew
08-03-2007, 11:28 PM
G'day Toytech - welcome to the forum!

There was absolutely no problem getting it - they sent it via the postal system.

The price included freight AFAI remember. The AUD price depended on the exchange rate - I don't think it was any more than $250.

Good luck,

Drew.

McBAIN
08-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Price $169.95 USD

Current exchange rate 1 USD = 1.28515 AUD (from www.xe.com (http://www.xe.com))

$218.41 AUD if that's including postage then it's fairly reasonable!

toytech
08-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for that Drew & Mc Bain. Have sent an enquiry email for now. Let you know response.
Cheers Nev.

McBAIN
09-03-2007, 12:17 AM
let me know how you go, i'm very close to getting one of these too :)

Drew, i also sent them an email asking if they were looking for an australian re-seller... no response yet...

toytech
09-03-2007, 07:40 AM
This is the reply from Scanguage, USA.

Neville,

We can sell it to you at no extra charge for shipping if you order it from
our site.

There can be some compatibility problems for vehicles sold outside the US.
Have you tried your friends ScanGaugeII in your car to make sure it is
compatible?

Ron

McBAIN
09-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I also got a positive reply from them regarding becoming a re-seller. It looks as though they are considering there are markets outside australia. Will keep you posted. But to be honest, not having a shop front, they may not be interested in small fish!

M

Drew
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
There goes my idea of making a quick million selling these things to Aussies! :-)

I might fire off another email.

Let me know how you go getting your SGII.

Drew.

HGMonaro
09-03-2007, 02:29 PM
It's very easily installed. It comes with good quality genuine Velcro. I've attached mine to the top of my steering column and it's very easily read while driving while the steering wheel is straight. The data cable plugs in to the OBDII port located near the fuse box under the dash. I have just run the cable inside the dash behind the steering column and down to the port.

never heard of an OBDII port... I gather it's a data port to the cars 'puter brrains? This things gets it's power from it too?

I'm going to have to get one of these as I miss a trip computer in my GXL!

Cheers, Nige

toytech
09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Drew, you were saying that the Scanguage can be programmed to metric from imperial, ie km from miles. Is that also from mile per gallon to litres per 100 km :?:

Drew
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Drew, you were saying that the Scanguage can be programmed to metric from imperial, ie km from miles. Is that also from mile per gallon to litres per 100 km :?:

Yep the ScanGaugeII will display litres/100km - they call it LHK.

Drew.

Drew
09-03-2007, 06:16 PM
never heard of an OBDII port... I gather it's a data port to the cars 'puter brrains? This things gets it's power from it too?

OBDII is a new international standard for automotive on board diagnostics. It allows mechanics and technicians to plug diagnostic computers into different types of vehicles without having to use different machines for different manufacturers.

Not all vehicles support OBDII - particularly older vehicles, but most current models vehicles are fine.

Drew.

HGMonaro
09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
ordered one :)

Drew
09-03-2007, 11:48 PM

Do you have a petrol Prado?

I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's a handy little gadget.

Drew.

Nobby
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry to rain on the parade but I went into this last time it was posted (can't remember when) and I was told by the people in the US of A that it wasn't suitable for deisel engines. I like most was more than ready to order one. They may have changed this on the new model - hope so. Nobby

Drew
11-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Drew which is the OBDII port? :oops:

It's near the fuse box under the dash - I can't remember if it's above or below, but from memory it's easy to see with a torch.

Good luck,

Drew.

toytech
11-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Yes I brought 2 scanguages today, told my Bro about it & he wanted one of the units aswell. Hanging out to get it now :lol:

lc120_man
11-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Yes, guys if anyone got 120 Prado built before 2005 the ScanGauge
will not work... If you got an old diesel engine (not D4D) it won't
work as well... Otherwise it's great gadget ;). Ron is planning
a trip down under to sort out those problems with Prados and Cruisers.

McBAIN
12-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Yes, guys if anyone got 120 Prado built before 2005 the ScanGauge
will not work... If you got an old diesel engine (not D4D) it won't
work as well... Otherwise it's great gadget ;). Ron is planning
a trip down under to sort out those problems with Prados and Cruisers.
Hey lc120_man,

Do you know if they flat out don't work? or only some of the functions work/don't work?

Has only tried? Or has anyone in Brisvegas got one that they wouldn't mind me giving a test run?

lc120_man
12-03-2007, 01:02 AM
McBAIN,

It won't work at all... It will just show "connecting...." screen.

Check posts on Lcool - all covered there ;)

toytech
12-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Is this only for Diesel models or all Prado models before 2005. I also just sent an email to Scanguage USA to ask them & if correct cancel order. Not happy if correct :cry:

lc120_man
13-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Is this only for Diesel models or all Prado models before 2005. I also just sent an email to Scanguage USA to ask them & if correct cancel order. Not happy if correct :cry:

What model Prado + built date do you have toytech?

HGMonaro
13-03-2007, 03:15 PM

Do you have a petrol Prado?

I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's a handy little gadget.

Drew.

yep... 2006 model.

looking forward to it!

Drew
13-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Not sure about pre-2005 models, I seem to remember some chat on LCOOL that they didn't work on them.

Good luck,

Drew.

toytech
14-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I have a 12/03 model. V6 of course. Cancelled order for now. Would like to try one if any one around south east Qld has one. would like to catch up sometime & see what it would do on my Prado. Also go for a drive with guys/girls up this end of land.

Piggy
29-03-2007, 08:07 PM
For info it seems a reseller has been appointed for Aust. A garage in NSW he is reselling them for $250 inc Freight & GST. (And local support).

toytech
29-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Do you have any more info on them? Do they have a web site? Where did you find this info? :shock:

Piggy
29-03-2007, 09:13 PM
On scanguage website

McBAIN
29-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a 12/03 model. V6 of course. Cancelled order for now. Would like to try one if any one around south east Qld has one. would like to catch up sometime & see what it would do on my Prado. Also go for a drive with guys/girls up this end of land.

hopefully by the time we organise another cruise somone up his way will have one!

toytech
30-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Yes I am very KEEN to try one out. I had an XR6 Turbo before the Prado & it had a trip meter. Got so used to using it for fuel consumption etc.

Drew
11-07-2007, 07:34 PM
NOTE: Split from http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=111

Drew - Moderator.

Pedro
18-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Drew,
I find that the scanguage gives a reading of about 5kmph less than the speedo reading.
ie 100 on speedo shows up as 95 on scanguage .

I was able to confirm that the speedo reading was correct when passing a transport department camera that gave my speed , and this coincided with the speedo reading.
Has anyone else found the same discrepancy?

Have posted the "Trouble Codes" which apply to Toyota on a fresh thread "Trouble Codes for Toyota"

Pedro

Jacto
18-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I have this discrepency and it first showed up on an RTA speed camera at roadworks, 100 km/hour on speedo and 95 on camera, I then checked it against GPS and it showed the same inaccuracy. I then fitted a second GPS for comparison and they both showed as 95 when the speedo reads 100. I now drive at 5km/hour over the speed limit and have never been knocked off, so I guess that is a fair indicator also.

Pedro
24-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Having established that my speedo reading was correct I reread manual on scangauge.
Page 16 of the PDF copy shows it is possible to adjust the speed
MORE>SETUP>SPEED

I adjusted mine by 5% and now it gives same reading as speedo .

Pedro