PDA

View Full Version : FM reception

phil
12-04-2007, 12:42 AM
I have noticed the fm reception is not that good compared to normal aerials, a few friends have said the same thing.
Has anone wired up an external aerial on the bull bar. I did this on my last car and it was a very big improvement.
Cheers Phil.

lc120_man
12-04-2007, 07:53 AM
I haven't bothered but a lot of people in the country areas do... there is
connection for it in the back of the radio...

McBAIN
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
i've got this on my to-do list one i have the front bar on.. nowhere to put the antenna at this stage!

Grandeman
18-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Does the antenna also help with AM reception?

My radio reception seems to be shite - however, as I don't listen much to the radio, I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to do.

Addy
19-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I remember reading something in a boating mag where they used the vhf antenna to the FM/AM radio. Would this be possible with uhf radio so you don't have two antenna's like Pradogxlv6.

Blokeman
19-04-2007, 07:44 PM
For a contradictory point of view I thought the reception was pretty good, on AM at least. I don't listen to FM, it's the devil... Sorry where was I?
The reception fades the closer I get to work, about 160 kms from the transmitter. My AU Falcon was the worst, the homemade setup in my FJ45 is much better, and the Prado with in-glass aerial is easily the best. Perhaps mine is just well trimmed, if they still trim radios these days.

Drew
21-04-2007, 10:20 PM
FWIW, my AM reception is on par with any other vehicle I've recently owned, unfortunately my last few car purchases all had on glass antennas.

I listen to 3LO (774 ABC Melbourne) from NSW quite a bit at night time as the ABC doesn't always cover the footy up here.

FM is a different story, I think it could be better and it's on my long term list of possible upgrades.

Matt - c'mon mate - more details; How much? Where from? Mounting issues? :-)

Looking forward to more info on your set up.

Drew.

Blokeman
22-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I switched my CD player for an MP3 player, unbolting everything and dropping the whole center section forward took about 30 minutes from memory. A bit of mucking about, but no swearing and pretty straightforward.

Chippy
19-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the idea Matt.

Being a bit out of the big smoke FM reception has been pretty bad - on good days it's only crap.

I've gone the shorter GME unit.

http://www.casas.id.au/Pradopoint/prado3/aerials2.jpg

http://www.casas.id.au/Pradopoint/prado3/aerials1.jpg
Went with the GME 50mm bull bar 'u-bolt' mount as it provides ample clearance for the bonnet.

Didn't have too many dramas with the inside bit - there are so many tips, amongst these topics, that show how to pull the dash apart and rip the radio out - who needs a workshop manual.

BTW - huge thanks to the guys who have posted their DIY stuff - it's a great help.

Cheers
Chippy

Chippy
19-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Matt

While you're at it, check out the stealth wiring on the spotties ...

http://www.casas.id.au/Pradopoint/prado3/spot1.jpg

http://www.casas.id.au/Pradopoint/prado3/spots.jpg

Now i've just got to get me a set of them flash XGTs :D

BTW - I keep getting told they won't fit in the sovereign bar. Are you using the original mounting spot (shaped area) or have you moved them further forward ?

Cheers
Chippy

Drew
20-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Nice work there Chippy.

That's what I'm planning on doing with my driving lights, I should be out the workshop doing it now - instead I'm in the study reading "Flight Rules and Air Law for Pilots". :evil: Who's dumb idea was this? Oh, mine.

Now my daughter is crying and I have to see to her.

At least life isn't boring. :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.

Chippy
20-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Have fun Drew,

I've just been down to the beach to get some decent photos for my spinna 8) - and found some nice BLACK GOOEY MUD :lol:

Cheers
Chippy

Drew
20-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Chippy,

Now that's a worthy avatar. Well done - it looks great. What program did you use to create the animated gif? It has done a great job. I used GIF Movie Gear but I think it's compression is a bit too aggressive.

Cheers,

Drew.

Chippy
20-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey Drew

Thank you Master, or is it Obi Wan (oops, wrong forum :oops: ).

I downloaded a little 1Mb Microsoft GIF Animator, available from http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/13212. It's tiny and you still need a graphics program.

I use Paint Shop Pro (I'm just familiar with it) to tweek and tune a series of pics until I'm happy with them. The sequence in the current avatar started as 60 pics and the sun disappeared halfway through the shoot.

With PSP I was able to keep the light constant throughout the shots, trim them up to adjust for when I was standing in a hole or didn't have the frame centred properly - then I just picked the best 24 and stitched them together. MS GIF animator also allows for very fine increments in duration - you can also play with different timing for individual frames.

It's a bit complicated moving from on bit of software to another but each has features that I want. I suppose something that does it all would be nice - but it's like the Prado - a never ending project !

Cheers
Chippy

Drew
21-05-2007, 12:04 PM
60 PICS :?: :?: :!: :shock:

Your Mrs must have been very patient for that one.

It looks great - you've polished it up very nicely. One day I might spend some time getting mine right.

Well done,

Drew.

Grandeman
21-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm starting to feel inadequate with only a little one :oops:

I'm referring of course, to my avatar... :wink: :lol:

Drew
21-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm starting to feel inadequate with only a little one :oops:

I'm referring of course, to my avatar... :wink: :lol:
I still think your avatar is one of the best. Very original.

Drew.

Chippy
21-05-2007, 02:53 PM
G-Man

There is Modern Art and there are the Classic Masters.

As much as your missus tries to tell you that size IS important - don't believe her !

You are one of the original Masters and your avatar (oops, should only be spoken of in CAPITAL LETTERS) - AVATAR is a masterpiece.

The only reason I copied Drew's avatar was that I didn't have the necessary talent to copy yours.

Cheers
Chippy

Grandeman
21-05-2007, 03:35 PM
You are one of the original Masters

Thankyou Grasshopper :D :D :D

Drew
21-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Matt - why is your online status always hidden? Are you too special to be out in the open?

:lol: :wink: Drew.

Drew
21-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Ahh - there he is. 8)

Chippy
21-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Ah, Matt - you're there ... couldn't see you :wink:

Mate - where's the spinna ? :lol:
You been sleeping all weekend or something ? :lol:

I've already had to try and rebuild G-man's shattered ego over his small avatar - and believe me - it's pretty small - BTW, cheap rates for Psychological counselling. :lol:

Once you have reached the status of Spinna Zen Master - how could you return to being mere mortal .... ? :lol:

Salutations to Drew - the first among us to spin.

Cheers
Chippy

Chippy
09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Finished tidying up the rest of the FM aerial install. Reception is a big improvement. I used to have to fine tune the radio by opening or closing the back window.

Bought a spring from Dick Smiths that fits between the GME AEM6 FM aerial's base and the whip - seems to do the trick.

I wasn't happy with the wiring so I redid it. I'm particularly happy with the UHF and FM aerial cables both concealed in the bullbar ..

http://casas.id.au/pradopoint/cable_route.jpg

Cheers
Chippy

Chippy
10-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks Matt - it just shows up how long it's been since the bar work got a polish.

Slightly off topic - Polishing the bar. I've read somewhere that the Autosol metal polish is the go (it may have even been on the original care instructions) but I'm using the Bright Shine cotton wadding. Easy to use - buffs up to a nice shine and the shine lasts longer. http://casas.id.au/animations/thumb.gif

Cheers
Chippy

Drew
11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Matt - it just shows up how long it's been since the bar work got a polish.

Slightly off topic - Polishing the bar. I've read somewhere that the Autosol metal polish is the go (it may have even been on the original care instructions) but I'm using the Bright Shine cotton wadding. Easy to use - buffs up to a nice shine and the shine lasts longer. http://casas.id.au/animations/thumb.gif

Ah, Bright Shine - now that brings back some memories. I used to use that stuff on my '58 Morris Minor and my '79 Holden Wagon. Haven't used it for years. I'll have to get some again and get stuck into the Sovereign bar with it.

Thanks for the idea, Chip.

Drew.

Chippy
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Sorry mate - I just had to back into some old history books and find out what a Morris Minor is / or was - you see, I'm not old enough to remember them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chippy

Chippy
11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Matt

Whatever you do - don't laugh until ya cry - you don't need any more water over there :lol:

Cheers
Chippy

Grandeman
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Pradopoint changes name to Comedy Central - details at eleven! :D

MikeA
21-06-2007, 07:26 PM
just getting back to topic briefly, I don't have a problem with my Radio reception but I also have no window tinting at present. I have been told that if you place window tinting on the back windows where the arial is you will notice a drop in reception. I was considering tinting all windows except these & then covering these in some other form.

Chippy
21-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I have no idea how true it is Mike, but I have heard something similar.

Being down in the far south we get pretty crappy reception anyway - and I want to get all the windows tinted (as I sit the feral kid way out the back) - so I went with the FM aerial.

Cheers
Chippy

phil
21-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Might have to do the same Chippy driving back for warnbro tonight and noticed crappy recetion down mundijong road. Had an extre lug welded onto bar before it got painted.
I still have to fit my dual batteries, cb and find someone who can do a good alignment before heading away on trip. Had some monkey do the alignment today and the steering is way off centre, you would think they would atleast get that bit right. I will try again with somone else.
Cheers Phil.

wes
17-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Just wondering whether or not the factory window mounted aerial has an amplifier somewhere between the factory headunit and the aerial itself?if so would it have been powered off the antenna power output from the head unit.Have just replaced the factory mp3 unit with a pioneer radio cass 6 disc stacker with aux rca input and now have even poorer reception..

tinkera
18-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi. probably a bit late but i found poor reception was due to metal film used to tint windows.Had choice either to change to non metal tint witch is not as good or go for external aerial , I chose the latter.Went for high gain one fitting it to bull bar,problem solved.You have to weigh up the cost of stripping old tint off and putting new tint on.1ST owner said he never had a problem until he had a ming tint done.I THINK I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT BACK AND ASKED THE :?: :o :o

Schaffer
19-09-2009, 07:58 AM
just getting back to topic briefly, I don't have a problem with my Radio reception but I also have no window tinting at present. I have been told that if you place window tinting on the back windows where the arial is you will notice a drop in reception. I was considering tinting all windows except these & then covering these in some other form.
We have had window tinting on our rig since new. Three years old and never had issues with reception. Haven't had to pop open the rear window to get better reception either. We did pick the "legal" tinting so can only comment on that. I forget what % it was.

wes
20-09-2009, 04:19 PM
have not got any tinting on the car whatsoever..its on the list of options.

reception with the factory mp3 6 disc was fair to poor.now with the pioneer its even worse hence thats why i was thinking it might be due to the possibility of the aerial requiring a 12 volt power supply(power antenna feed) applied to a possible hidden amplifier that may be inline within the vehicle..

wes
27-09-2009, 03:14 PM
This is Toyota car audio pin wiring. P500 connector

Note: this is rear of radio view.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/1587683900_d149a68255_b.jpg

After looking at the wiring diagram from here on the p500 i attached the power antenna wire from the new head unit to pin number 8 and reception was improved but not perfect..

external aerial may be coming shortly...

jack76
15-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I recently changed my stereo after the original got the dreaded code 3 error. When I connected the new deck the FM reception was fine but i did find a spare antenna looking plug only slightly smaller. After reading about connecting the power antenna to the one on the 8 pin on the original unit AM was vastly improved.

01Rod
15-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I recently changed my stereo after the original got the dreaded code 3 error. When I connected the new deck the FM reception was fine but i did find a spare antenna looking plug only slightly smaller. After reading about connecting the power antenna to the one on the 8 pin on the original unit AM was vastly improved.

I fitted the Digitech TP09X1 unit last weekend and also noticed the small antenna plug as well...
anyone know what its for??

Rod

two+four
16-10-2009, 12:23 PM

I fitted the Digitech TP09X1 unit last weekend and also noticed the small antenna plug as well...

Rod

The two small sockets? if so they are for the analog tv Antenna

Neil

01Rod
16-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Rod

The two small sockets? if so they are for the analog tv Antenna

Neil

Hi Neil,

Not the TV antenna plugs I am familiar with them....
this is an identical plug to the cars Radio aeriel except it is smaller.
smaller plug and smaller coax cable.

Rod

bilo33prado
14-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the idea Matt.

Being a bit out of the big smoke FM reception has been pretty bad - on good days it's only crap.

I've gone the shorter GME unit.

http://www.casas.id.au/Pradopoint/prado3/aerials2.jpg

http://www.casas.id.au/Pradopoint/prado3/aerials1.jpg
Went with the GME 50mm bull bar 'u-bolt' mount as it provides ample clearance for the bonnet.

Didn't have too many dramas with the inside bit - there are so many tips, amongst these topics, that show how to pull the dash apart and rip the radio out - who needs a workshop manual.

BTW - huge thanks to the guys who have posted their DIY stuff - it's a great help.
Cheers
Chippy

Hi Chippy, i'm about to install a UHF and was thinking about fitting a am/fm arial at the same time. I'm also fair bit away from the big smoke and reception not always the best. I take it there's an input for a am/fm arial on a 08 GXL radio?

Cheers
Klanny

tinkera
15-01-2010, 08:38 PM
HI bilo33prado.Do it mate, mine was great around the cities but the further you went out the poorer it got.Now with external araial it picks up most.And yeah, somtimes I like to tune into local news and weather while your driving.in new places.If you put it on the bar just watch clearance between bracket and bonnet ,had to trim corners off mine.CHEERS TINKERA.

bilo33prado
15-01-2010, 11:14 PM
thanks tinkera, i have an ARB bar so i'll just put it in r/h side down on the flat part. already holes there each side. prob fit uhf on left side as it will be taller and not get in my line of sight as much. now just to find the right am/fm arial..............

sparksy
13-09-2010, 01:45 PM
This has been on my list of things to do for a while.
Am I right in assuming that on the rear of the standard radio in a 2004 gxl there is a spare socket that takes a standard "radio plug"?
It would be handy to know before I start to pull the dash apart.

Thanks
Wayne

jeff s
23-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Sparksy.

Don't know if you have done your work yet but I have just completed a radio swap in my 2005 GXL.

I am thinking you mean a standard areial connection from an antenna to the head unit.
If so the answer is yes, But you might already know that if you have had a look.

Jeff.

tinkera
24-11-2010, 05:42 PM
HI ALL Just a tip when you change the aerial don,t forget to put a F to M socket in the aerial lead in case you want to change aerials or break one put it somewhere you can get at it TINKERA.