PDA

View Full Version : Odd number of driving lights illegal???

HGMonaro
17-10-2006, 09:13 AM
pairs to me means two.

Interesting that it doesn't specify a maximum number, I always thought there was a limit of 6... maybe different in different states or another urban myth.

Guess if you hadn't researched this, you could have pleaded ignorance! Also, the chances of being pulled over just because of that extra light would be slim I'd think, especially in a well maintained vehicle. Get pulled over for something else though, and it might get added to the infringements, but you'd be pretty stiff. No mention of the penalty associated?

Rhetly
17-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Very ambigious indeed.

However, the Revised 3rd Edition of the Macquarie Dictionary says under definition number 6 of the word pair "a span or team"

I believe that you could justify 'a team' of lights across the front, they are symmetrical after all??

AJ120
11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Rather than start a new thread i thought i would dig up this really old one. obviously there have been a few post deleted so the info is a bit slim.

I am looking at getting rid of my 25 year old 140 hellas and putting on some decent spots (roos are really bad since it finally remembered how to rain)
HID's seem the go but i havent decided on what brand/size yet. What i want to work out first is the legalities of 3 spots across the front in South OZ.

I spoke to a couple of PP members last weekend at the GTG and they told me spots must be in "pairs" and therefore 3 would be illegal. i have been trying without success to find the actual ADR regarding this to see if there might be a loophole, for example could i mount 3 spots on the bullbar and one smaller one on the roofrack, would this be considered pairs?

I realize that a couple of HID's would be a vast improvement on my current set up, but i reckon 2 spot and 1 spread HID would be the ants pants, and i quite like the look of 3 on the front.

Any advice on where to find the legislation would be appreciated.

Cheers Andrew

MickL
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
for example could i mount 3 spots on the bullbar and one smaller one on the roofrack, would this be considered pairs?

From what I've been told; mounting them on the roof rack is also a not allowed in SA.

Any advice on where to find the legislation would be appreciated

Ringing the DOT (now DETI) at Regency Park would be your best bet.

Mick

mjrandom
11-09-2010, 10:47 PM
In Qld you need the lights to be equally spaced from the centre in pairs. There are also rules on heights. Whether these are state only regs or reflect the ADRs I don't know. As Mick suggests give the local Dept against Transport a call. I have found our guys to be pretty approachable and reasonable.

FlyingBushPig
11-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Regardless of whether this is the case in various places, can anyone suggest why there would be any reason to doubt odd numbers could be unsafe? Sounds absurd to me.

amts
11-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Ask Team Piggy. He nearly got defected for the centre spotlight. Fortunately, it was disconnected and was 'for show' only.

AJ120
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Regardless of whether this is the case in various places, can anyone suggest why there would be any reason to doubt odd numbers could be unsafe? Sounds absurd to me.

I tend to think the same, from what i understand i can have 4 spotties but not 3. Seems like a stupid rule to me.

Ask Team Piggy. He nearly got defected for the centre spotlight. Fortunately, it was disconnected and was 'for show' only.

yeah i remember reading that a while ago, that is why i started asking questions before going the 3 light route. otherwise i probably would have just done it without realising.

BTW one of the locals here in Loxton has been driving around with only 1 enourmous spotty on the front of his ute for at least 10 years, definately not "a pair"and never been hassled.

Thanks MickL, will try and call Regency and see what i can find out.

Cheers Andrew

D4D
12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I believe it's something to do with being able to determine what's coming towards you at night. 3 lights may mean 3 bikes etc. There's also a height limit, off the top of my head I think it's 1200mm, hence why roof rack lights are not roadworthy.

I haven't read the ADR for ages however I always thought it was only 6 forward facing white lights and in pairs. These days, with 2 headlights, 2 foglights and 2 spotlights we're already at the limit of 6.

Schaffer
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
We had an SA copper come out to our 4wd club a few months back. He drives a Patrol and his name was Paul Bryant. I've seen a lot of posts from him on Patrol forums. Anyway, the deal with the lights is yes they must be in pairs and no they can not be on the roof rack as they is a maximum height. HID driving lights are allowed but not HID head lights unless you have auto leveling. He DID NOT mention that you needed washers to go with the head lights.

AJ120
12-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I haven't read the ADR for ages however I always thought it was only 6 forward facing white lights and in pairs. These days, with 2 headlights, 2 foglights and 2 spotlights we're already at the limit of 6.

Its just like a group brainstorming session, when people say something and it makes you think of a whole other possibility. My plan is to replace the soverign bar with an ARB deluxe bar and then put the new lights on. In 6 years of owning a Prado i have not once used my fog lights :!: might have to look into putting a couple of spread beams in place of the fog lights, and a couple of HID spots in the normal place, i also recall people using the fog light switch as the in cab isolating switch for the spotties, which seems a really neat set up. 8)

Even if this caused a few legal issues, you would need a really on the ball copper to work it out :wink:

Cheers Andrew

FlyingBushPig
12-09-2010, 03:17 PM
From what I've read on a few different forums etc the fog lights aren't considered as driving lights and fall into a category of their own - Fogs must be below headlight level and will not interfere with other road users on low beam (in fog conditions you do use them on low beam). Driving lights need to be below bonnet level and lower than 1200mm from road surface level. They must be symmetrical and only come on with high beam. As to having lights on a bull bar, I believe they can be there if they're not set up for on road driving - i.e. they need to be specified as either "show" lights or off-road/rally lights and somehow you need to prove that's the case.

Now, how you define "symmetrical" could mean all sorts of things"
Oxford dictionary:

symmetrical
Pronunciation:/s??m?tr?k(?)l/
adjective
made up of exactly similar parts facing each other or around an axis ; showing symmetry

Which means they could be facing all sorts of directions if it were about an axis :lol:

So it seems as long as they are aligned nicely you can have at least 4 spots, 2 fogs on the bar. To me "symmetrical" doesn't mean pairs and I'd be quite happy to put 3 in a row.

Schaffer
12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Just remember that number of lights and tyre size and etc... is all state laws. It might be guided by ADR and NCOP (eventually) but is at the States discression to alter.

Piggy
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
3 spotlights = NO.

I have 3 x Hella Rallye 4k on mine, I "acciddentaly" disconnected the middle one before going thru the vehicle inspection station. It was OK as a "show" only, but if it illuminated I would have been defected.

Centre line of lights cannot be above lowest point of windscreen, distances apart and minimum and maximum heights also apply, check state laws to find what applies to you.

tommy_volter
14-09-2010, 06:06 PM
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safet ... hicles.pdf (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/vehicle-standards/vehicle-standards-instructions/vsig10auxiliarydrivinglampsfittedtomotorvehicles.p df)

i just found this link to the queensland transport website. vehicle standards instruction "AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS FITTED TO MOTOR VEHICLES"

no mention of odd or even numbers. just that 2 pairs may be fitted and must be symmetrical. i would argue that if they tried to ping me.

dereki
15-09-2010, 11:34 AM
The Qld thingy also says that the ARD must be compiled with as well... the first point in the general section. However...

1. The ADR specifically talks about mounting either one or two lights. If two lights there are symmetry requirements.
2. The total light output has a limit of 225,000 cd

ADR here... maybe?
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legisla ... D6000354D1 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/3AA7960BCA4CAB73CA2570D6000354D1)

tommy_volter
18-09-2010, 11:59 PM
The Qld thingy also says that the ARD must be compiled with as well... the first point in the general section. However...

1. The ADR specifically talks about mounting either one or two lights. If two lights there are symmetry requirements.
2. The total light output has a limit of 225,000 cd

ADR here... maybe?
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legisla ... D6000354D1 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/3AA7960BCA4CAB73CA2570D6000354D1)

that one appears to be for bikes and scooters and mopeds,

but doing some searching on possibly the worst government website ever; i have it in black and white.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legisla ... lation.pdf (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/AD0ABC1330FAE9BFCA2575FC0030BA3B/$file/ADR1300Am3Compilation.pdf)

6.1.5. In addition to the main beam headlamps in paragraph 6.1 of Appendix A,
a further two or four driving lamps may be installed as long as they
comply with clause 7.3 of this standard.

7.3. DRIVING LAMPS
7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.
7.3.2. Number:
7.3.2.1. Two or four.
7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.
7.3.3. Arrangement:
No individual specifications
7.3.4. Position:
7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.
7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.
7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that the light
emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or
indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces
of the vehicle.
7.3.5. Geometric visibility:
No individual specifications.
7.3.6. Orientation:
Towards the front.
7.3.7. Electrical connections:
The driving lamps must be able to be lighted only when the main-beam
headlamps switch is in the “lamps on” position.
7.3.8. Tell tale: No requirement.
7.3.9. Others:
The aggregate maximum intensity of the main-beam headlamps as
specified in paragraph 6.1.9.1 of Appendix A, can be exceeded with the
fitment and illumination of driving

7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications. indicating to me that there is no max height??

either way, now we know.

AJ120
19-09-2010, 09:10 AM
This regards SA and not other states as rules obviously vary from state to state. I was at a mates place last night and this topic came up and we were talking about a few people we know that run light combos that dont meet the legal requirements, one of these guys has apparantly been through regency and he gets away 5 lights on his roof rack + 4 spotties on his bar because the ones on his roof are for "off road only". they have a secondary switch but still are hooked up through the high beam.
So back to my original question of 3 spotties across the front of the bar. If i wire up 2 of them as per normal and then add a third on a seperate isolation switch but still through the high beam switch this could be ok so long as the third light is only used "off road" :wink:
i will check this option with regency when i get a chance. I am still wading through all the possible different light styles, brands and types trying to pick something out, its starting to hurt my head and my wallet is starting to cringe as well. My mate mentioned he has downgraded his HID lights that he wasnt happy with to HIR, dont know anything about these so more research i guess.

Cheers Andrew

AJ120
26-09-2010, 07:58 PM
AJ120 wrote:
one of these guys has apparantly been through regency and he gets away 5 lights on his roof rack + 4 spotties on his bar because the ones on his roof are for "off road only". they have a secondary switch but still are hooked up through the high beam.

Well when he said has been through regency he must have meant driving through the suburb :?
I rang the DTEI and spoke to someone in the vehicle compliance department and was told the following.
:arrow: Maximum six lights
:arrow: Lights Must be in "pairs"
:arrow: lights must be on the front of the car, on the roofrack is not the front of the car.
:arrow: All lights must work, through high beam etc so no additional "off road lights allowed"
This pretty much confirms what has been said before, added to that the fact that i have opted for IPF 900 XS which are only available in pairs means that three spotties across the front is not an option!

or is it....................The DTEI bloke said that the only exception is for a "work light" that can only be turned on from outside the vehicle. So if you are after the look, a third spottie could be added so long as it can only be turned on from outside the vehicle and used as a work light. It only seems reasonable to me that when i fit my winch i will need a front work light for all the times i will be getting bogged at night and needing to winch, but dont want to use all the lights because of the power draw :wink: i think i can probably work with that. oh and BTW i picked up a set of IPF 900 XS for 200 bucks on ebay so i might have to see if another set comes up at some stage.

now i was sure i had a 2 way switch lying around somewhere, i reckon i might have a use for one down the track :wink:

Cheers Andrew

Schaffer
26-09-2010, 08:32 PM
A couple of other things Andew that is not listed in your above post is that there is a minimum and maximum height for the lights and there is a maximum lumens output allowable.

jeff s
14-11-2010, 03:33 PM
[quote="AJ120TW i picked up a set of IPF 900 XS for 200 bucks on ebay so i might have to see if another set comes up at some stage.

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have 3 lights on my bar (about 4 years now and no problems?) and I have the IPF 900 XS's.
The outside 2 are spots and the middle 1 a spread.
These spots are almost like pencil beams, when I bought the first pair I got 1 of each, thats why I went with the third (2nd spottie). It was woeful.
A very strong light with massive distance, but such a

jeff s
14-11-2010, 03:33 PM
[quote="AJ120TW i picked up a set of IPF 900 XS for 200 bucks on ebay so i might have to see if another set comes up at some stage.

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have 3 lights on my bar (about 4 years now and no problems?) and I have the IPF 900 XS's.
These spots are almost like pencil beams, when I bought the first pair I got 1 of each, thats why I went with the third (2nd spottie). It was woeful.
A very strong light with massive distance, but such a

jeff s
14-11-2010, 03:35 PM

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have 3 lights on my bar (about 4 years now and no legal problems as yet) and I have the IPF 900 XS's.
A very strong light with massive distance, but such a small spread of light. with the 2 spots I can spread the zone to atleast see both sides of the road, with a spread in the middle to help general illumination.
Now its awesome.

Jeff

AJ120
14-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Jeff, what you have is pretty much what i was thinking of doing. My ARB bar is being painted this week and then i can fit the 2 IPF's i have, then i can make a decision on whether to add a third or do something else. I have 1 spot and 1 spread beam.

Cheers Andrew

Madkore
30-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Just to add fuel to this flaming fire...

I want to go with 3 spots across the front also, so I rang the Dept of Transport in WA - the guy tried to convince me that 'spotlights' can not be used under any circumstances on any gazetted road - HA - then I clarified that by spotlights, I meant brands like IPF, Hella, Lightforce, etc. and that I am talking about forward facing driving lights - he still insisted spotlights cannot be used on a gazetted road - PFFTTT - so I thought, well does that mean you can have as many spotlights as you like fitted to your vehicle, so long as you only use them off road? And I also said do they have to be fitted in pairs? I think his brain exploded with this one, so I left my details as he wasn't sure and will get back to me.

He also stated that in WA Fog Lights have their own rules and do not come under the term driving lights and cannot be used in conjunction with 'driving lights', so not included in total number.

I'll report back with his response when I get it.

VKPrado
01-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Madkore, maybe you should have been using the work "driving light" instead of "spot light" :? . Hope you get an answer back on this sometime this year :shock: .

Madkore
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Heard back from WA Dept of Transport yesterday.

Maximum of 6 forward facing driving lights, which includes headlights but NOT fog lights (as stated above).

Required to be fitted in pairs.

So basically I can have 4 'spotlights' but not 3..., go figure.

dereki
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Heard back from WA Dept of Transport yesterday.

Maximum of 6 forward facing driving lights, which includes headlights but NOT fog lights (as stated above).

Required to be fitted in pairs.

So basically I can have 4 'spotlights' but not 3..., go figure.

I found the ADR the other day. With some searching, its on the commonwealth legal web site somewhere...
In one part of the ADR it talks about the installation of lights.. symmetric etc. and also mounting 1 light in the middle.
In another part of the ADR it says they must be mounted in pairs as 2 or 4 lights. DOH.

Most states refer to the ADR and add a little bit around the edges for the state regulations, so as far as I can tell.. its 2 or 4 driving lights, each pair must be mounted not wider than the main lights and symmetrically. From memory there was no height restriction, so roof lights are ok from the ADR, but state regulations might have something to say about it.

There is also a maximum light output for all lights together but thats another story.

In Queenland for example... cut from here http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/5f455 ... hicles.pdf (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/5f455e92-481a-4cab-9636-7fe3e2cd2813/vsig10auxiliarydrivinglampsfittedtomotorvehicles.p df)

Specific (Driving lamps)
• Two additional pairs of driving lamps may be fitted to a motor
vehicle.
• The driving lamps must be mounted symmetrically on the vehicle.
• The light emitted must not cause the driver discomfort either
directly or indirectly through the rear view mirror and/or other
reflecting surfaces of the motor vehicle.
• Driving lamps must not be placed wider than the dipped beam
headlamps.
• The colour of light emitted from driving lamps must be white.
• Additional driving lamps must only operate in conjunction with the
high beam circuit and must be fitted with an independent on/off
switch.
• There is no individual height specification for the fitting of driving
lamps.

D

Madkore
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Well, the plot thickens...

I decided to do a lil web search myself of the WA Vehicle Standards rules and found that under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002 - Reg 74. How additional headlights are to be fitted, it states: 'If 2 or more additional headlights are fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, the additional headlights must be as far as possible be fitted in pairs.'

I take that to mean that I can fit more headlights, but they only need to be in pairs if it is possible..., so I could claim that I wanted to fit 4 lights, but it was not possible, so I fitted 3 instead...

I think I may be reading into this however I want and am trying to convince myself I can have 3 spotties - not that I want to get into an argument with a Police person...

Chriso57
02-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Madkore,

I have been running around with 3 spots hanging off my bar for about 12 months now. Passed heaps of cops and never had any problems at all. Really I think the laws are there to stop the rednecks in FJ40's running 7 bullbar spots and another 8 roof spots.

Run the gauntlet mate! :D

Chriso

Matty & Loz
02-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Why not have the light mounted but not connected - call it a decorative item. Then when heading bush connect it up (plug it in) and continue on your merry way?
If the socket is hidden (cable tied back) and the light doesn't function then it shouldn't come under the ADR rules and not be a defectable item.

I know that TP does (or did) something similar, and has been over the pits to have a sticker removed, unsure what the end result of this particular item was though. As I can't find the information!

But its a thought anyway. Someone maybe confirm this?

Matt

AJ120
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
When i checked with DTEI here in SA, they told me all lights fitted must work, otherwise it is not legal. Since speaking to the DTEI and finding out the rules re driving lights i have noticed dozens of vehicles running "illegal" light combos. probably not real high on the list things to defect for the local plod!!

Cheers Andrew

Piggy
02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I went thru the inspection station at the DTEI, when he said one light doesnt work, I said, "Yeah cause its illegal if it does". He signed it off and went "well done " :wink:

Madkore
03-12-2010, 02:41 PM
After having a 4runner with 2 spots on the front and 4 on the roof and only being stopped once (no sticker issued after owning the truck for 5 years) I thought, bugger it.

The gauntlet will be run from Monday onwards!

I'll just disconnect it if I have to...

I think a cop must be pretty bored to pull over a Prado that may have one extra spot...

The other question for those with 3 spots, how have you got them configured? I am thinking of spread in the middle with spot on each side. I notice joey has his spread on the passenger side, and 8604 (I think thats their name) has the spread in the middle.

I haven't seen anyone running 2 spreads and a spot yet...

Matty & Loz
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Planning on doing the same - that is having a spot either side and a spread in the middle.
However, I will have it 'disconnected' most of the time - unless heading bush!!!

Chriso57
04-12-2010, 12:41 AM
The other question for those with 3 spots, how have you got them configured? I am thinking of spread in the middle with spot on each side. .

Thats the way mine are.

Chriso

babs
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
After having a 4runner with 2 spots on the front and 4 on the roof and only being stopped once (no sticker issued after owning the truck for 5 years) I thought, bugger it.

The gauntlet will be run from Monday onwards!

I'll just disconnect it if I have to...

I think a cop must be pretty bored to pull over a Prado that may have one extra spot...

The other question for those with 3 spots, how have you got them configured? I am thinking of spread in the middle with spot on each side. I notice joey has his spread on the passenger side, and 8604 (I think thats their name) has the spread in the middle.

I haven't seen anyone running 2 spreads and a spot yet...

Boys,

I am your guy - I have three IPF's on my ARB Bar -
2 x spreads on either side (HID UPGRADES)
1 x spot in the centre (FACTORY HID)

This work well - my HID upgrades have a blue tinge to them but I have two factory IPF spreads at work I might swap over -
I certainly am not scared to drive at night with this combo

and if I get a ticket for having three lights.................whoops

leachy_9
08-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Babs,

besides the blue tinge to HID conversion lights is the much difference in brightness between the genuine HIDs and the conversions.

Leachy

babs
08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Babs,

besides the blue tinge to HID conversion lights is the much difference in brightness between the genuine HIDs and the conversions.

Leachy

A little - but that will have something to do with the bulbs in the upgrade kit - I had the upgrade done at ARB with their kit they sell off the shelf - so it probably my fault they dont really look the same -

But they are still better than Toyota high beam - If I had of known better when I got the ARBbar on 4 years ago I would have gone with the factory HID - they were 1/2 the price that they are now!!!!

I have two factory HIDS at work I think I will swap over so I have a uniform light pattern

Madkore
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
3rd spotlight is now on but haven't had a chance to try it out properly yet.

Only time will tell if this is a bad move...

Spots on either side with spread in the middle - blue covers on all.

AJ120
19-12-2010, 02:46 PM
We are all wondering about running the gauntlet with 3 spotties on the front :shock: on the highway the other day a guy in an older 70 series ute passed me going the opposite direction, he had no less than 9, yes thats correct 9 lightforce 240's. 3 across the front of the bullbar, 2 on top of the bullbar and 4 across the front of the roof. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wouldn't want to come across him if he forgot to dip his lights, OH and wonder if they were HID's or not :?:

Cheers Andrew

Matty & Loz
19-12-2010, 03:33 PM
he had no less than 9, yes thats correct 9 lightforce 240's. 3 across the front of the bullbar, 2 on top of the bullbar and 4 across the front of the roof.
If i've understood the ADR rules and regs so far, isn't 9 lights just as bad as 3, cos if he had 10 lights, then that would be ok - But 3 would still be wrong?
Surely i've miss interpretted something... ???

AJ120
19-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Maximum of 6 forward facing lights (including headlights) so 4 spotties maximum, also they must be on the front of the vehicle (not the roof) and no higher than the headlights. OH and of course in pairs. So 7 of his 9 spotties were illegal.

Cheers Andrew

Matty & Loz
19-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Maximum of 6 forward facing lights (including headlights) so 4 spotties maximum, also they must be on the front of the vehicle (not the roof) and no higher than the headlights. OH and of course in pairs. So 7 of his 9 spotties were illegal.

Cheers Andrew
Ok thanks for the correction mate... I don't suppose the covered/uncovered would make a difference would it?
Say if the 4 across the top had the solid (not clear/transluscent) covers on them, would they still be counted as a forward facing?

jeff s
27-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I take that to mean that I can fit more headlights, but they only need to be in pairs if it is possible..., so I could claim that I wanted to fit 4 lights, but it was not possible, so I fitted 3 instead...

I think I may be reading into this however I want and am trying to convince myself I can have 3 spotties - not that I want to get into an argument with a Police person...

Isn't the law wonderful, its the interpretation, and how good a lawer is in twisting it.

Ok thanks for the correction mate... I don't suppose the covered/uncovered would make a difference would it?
Say if the 4 across the top had the solid (not clear/transluscent) covers on them, would they still be counted as a forward facing?

Thats interesting, you might be onto something there :idea: . its not a light if it doesn't throw light.. altho they have to be working :| ...

Schaffer
28-12-2010, 08:05 AM
[quote="Matty & Loz":2l9dqkxg]

Thats interesting, you might be onto something there :idea: . its not a light if it doesn't throw light.. altho they have to be working :| ...[/quote:2l9dqkxg]
No they are still counted as they are forward facing. The way to get around this would be to do what the comp trucks do and have them on a pivot base.

Matty & Loz
28-12-2010, 08:29 AM
No they are still counted as they are forward facing. The way to get around this would be to do what the comp trucks do and have them on a pivot base.
Nick, wondering if you could please clarify how a pivot base would affect the "forward facing" rule, and the arguements behind the idea?

Schaffer
28-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Nick, wondering if you could please clarify how a pivot base would affect the "forward facing" rule, and the arguements behind the idea?
On comp trucks and I've seen them on non comp hiluxes and other vehciles you can mount the lights above the cab on a pivot base. It only pivots backwards so that the light is pointing straight up. The one's I've seen also lock into place so you can cruise around with these aimed into the air and when off road, or touring at night, lock them forward.

Regardless of that the driving lights mounted above the cab, at least here in SA, are illegal as there is a minimum and maximum height of driving lights. We had a cop by the name of Paul Bryant (gets around in a Nissan and goes by the name of bulla bryant (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members/bulla_bryant-5694/) on the Patrol 4x4 forum (http://www.patrol4x4.com/)) come to our 4wd club earlier in the year (2010) and presented a lot of info in relation to vehicle weights and what is legal and not. He then opened the meeting to quetsions and there was a lot of interest in driving lights and height was discussed. He indicated that above the cab is illegal (and I think that is by ADR, not SA rules) but that the tend to let it go for the majority of times as catching serious crimes is a little more important. He did also mention he had been in a number of vehciles with headlights above the cab and said when them turned on there was a lot of glare and refleation on the bonnet and bullb ar from the over cab driving lights.

butane8
21-10-2012, 08:21 AM
fully aware that odd number is illegal, in n.s.w... when i wire up the centre spot
I will configure to allow a easy dis connection . point as to render the light in-active.. that way
i would only have a pair of operational lights on the bar, centre being cosmetic.. for my normal town running
when i hit the road for a trip , i'll plug in the centre '''

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae331/butane8/IMAG0389.jpg

i feel this would never be question by police, on a road legal well presented prado.. unless i come across a difficult officer..

cheers butane

ondaboat
21-10-2012, 10:42 AM
"What odd number of driving lights officer"
http://s8.postimage.org/bb93dw47l/Front_Lights.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/bb93dw47l/)
I do have the centre one on a seperate switch.

butane8
21-10-2012, 07:15 PM
ondaboat, wiil have my centre on a single too , got two harnesses with my deal, but legal shit as@@@@@ will unplug mine for around town... cheers butane

post edit , like putting a bung in the tiny. done

butane8
21-10-2012, 07:18 PM
"What odd number of driving lights officer"
http://s8.postimage.org/bb93dw47l/Front_Lights.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/bb93dw47l/)
I do have the centre one on a seperate switch.the officccer ,,,, needs a sluur.. lol

ondaboat
21-10-2012, 09:11 PM
the officccer ,,,, needs a sluur.. lol

Mate I made the post @ 08:40 I try not to start sluurring until at least after 14:00.

Regards The Slurring one

butane8
21-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Mate I made the post @ 08:40 I try not to start sluurring until at least after 14:00.

Regards The Slurring one

funny.. cheers butane